Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

LC Geogoraphy

• 27-01-2007 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

At this stage of the year, is it possible to learn the geogoraphy course in time for the Leaving?

I would keep up physics but the teacher is woeful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

If you're in 6th year, no. It's a huge f*ckin course. An A in honours junior cert and you might have a shot at pass...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Bull****, I got a C in higher for the junior cert.
    I usually get high B scores now, it is my "easiest" subject by far.

Junior cert is a complete waste of time, I used to be good at history and now its my worst subject(B in hons JC)
    Now I am really thinking of dropping to pass as I ****ing hate History with a passion.

If you want a A you have to play the system and marking scheme but I mean with the 20% field study and a decent pass on the the day you could get a minimum of a C in Honours without killing yourself.
    Go for it.
    I feel your pain with physics, I hate Mechanics and find Electricity fine which is the complete opposite for most people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Naikon, I think you're forgetting that you've (presumably) been doing it since the start of 5th year. And doing a field study on your own wouldn't be any fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I dont want to slate you but even though I have studied it "properly" from November onwards, I still think he could do well in it by covering main parts of the course and doing a decent field study.
    I see what you mean though. However I say the elusive A is out of reach at this stage.
    Geography and Business to a CERTAIN degree are common sense subjects.
    Also I know doing the field study on your own sucks, but it can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

business is easier to do in a few months, far easier than business people don't realise there's good options in business qs too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

its a long course but with decent fieldwork its definitely passable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I do physics and Geography, id stick with the phsyics, your just going to put more pressure and stress on yourself if you try and do Geography, everyone says its the "easiest" subject but i dont think so. The field work is difficult, were doing it at the moment, and the course is extremely broad. You just dont know what will come up, especially considering its a new course, you only have on exam paper from last year to look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Depends...Like the fieldwork would a problem. If youre someone with a lot of common sense though,just reading through each of the books once would get you a C easily enough in it. I got my B1 in it solely from just listening to my teacher, didn't really feel the need to study for it. :)

(I did it last year by the way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I do physics and Geography, id stick with the phsyics, your just going to put more pressure and stress on yourself if you try and do Geography, everyone says its the "easiest" subject but i dont think so. The field work is difficult, were doing it at the moment, and the course is extremely broad. You just dont know what will come up, especially considering its a new course, you only have on exam paper from last year to look at.
    yeah, i agree.i do both,and their my 2 fav subjects.i would say it is just about possible to pass a HL paper but you wouldnt get a very high grade.the fieldwork is quite difficult so it would probably let you down.the course is very broad,and the electives are quite long.it is an easier subject than physics,but not if you're only starting it now.
    i would recommend to stick with physics,perhaps get grinds??if there is one area in paricular you are struggling with (eg Mechanics, Heat, Electricity) you could possibly avoid those questions on the exam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

md99 wrote:
    At this stage of the year, is it possible to learn the geogoraphy course in time for the Leaving?

I would keep up physics but the teacher is woeful.
    do you do business? if not id consider that instead its a much easier course to pick up in such a short period of time in comparision to goegraphy in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Depends...Like the fieldwork would a problem. If youre someone with a lot of common sense though,just reading through each of the books once would get you a C easily enough in it. I got my B1 in it solely from just listening to my teacher, didn't really feel the need to study for it. :)

(I did it last year by the way)

I did the same, pulled a B1 out of my ass after getting 21% in my mock results (end of April). The only thing I will say was that we were the first year of a new course, so they kept it reasonably ambiguous (A good biome question saved our year basically) and might have marked it that bit easier. That said, our class didn't even have a book, just the odd handout from the web. That less stress book, if eaten, could provide a good honours grade - asides from the field work, I'd say you'd have ample time if you did it for the leaving cert.

Advertisement