Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

applying to UCD - personal statement

Options
  • 27-01-2007 10:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭

I have to write out a personal statement to send to the CAO office (by the 1st of february.. yes, yes I left it a bit late). I'm hoping to do arts, with an eye on philosophy mainly.. but what the hell do I put in this statement?

I can't just say I've read a few books on the subject and would like the chance to study it seriously, can I? it's a bit.. generic. I don't really have any good 'impressive' reason why I'd be a good choice for this course.. technically I don't have to do it, I could just read the books myself..although I'm prob not gona bring that up in my statement.

and as for any courses I've done previously... well I dropped out of college three years running.. that's not gona help my case. I suppose I could say I just had no real interest in the subjects I tried to study.. but then what person would admit me to start another course given my track record.

anyone got any tips for what to put in it? should I mention the previous courses and attempt an explanation as to why I didn't exactly do well?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Theres more to it than just the course, theres the social, vocational and personal development aspects of going back to education.

My brother just wrote one, and his interest in the subjects wasnt the main focus, it was more why he wanted to go to college as a mature student.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

hrm... 'to stay out of the job market as long as possible' prob wouldn't go down too well.. I'll have to think about that one tonight. thanks :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well.. I should have read the cao website a little more closely a few weeks ago.. they want evidence from the colleges I attended before that I did attend, proof of when I started and when I left.

nutsacks.

guess I'll be starting college in '08

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

UCD has the most applicants for arts every year and qualified applicats > places,apply to all of the colleges that offer philosophy and see how you get on.
    Maybe if you don't get in this year do an OU module and do well in it to prove that you are serious?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Mordeth, I'm 23 as well and also applied to do arts in UCD with an interest in studying Philosophy. I just sent my personal statement off on Monday. I also applied to Trinity. Just have to wait and see now :)

I spent most of the statement talking about why I wanted to return to education and how my outlook has changed since doing the leaving cert as a teenager, how experiences have contributed to this, etc. I also mentioned Philosophy books I'd read as proof of my interest in the area. I also want to do English.

As I understand it, a college's main concern with mature candidates is that they'll drop out, hurting the university's reputation in the process. So basically they're looking for:

- Interest (so you don't decide you hate your course and drop out)
    - Ability (so the course isn't too difficult and you drop out, this is a big concern with mature candidates I'd imagine)
    - Motivation (you just couldn't be bothered and again drop out)

I'd imagine the big question mark with young applicants like us would be motivation, which is the reason I suspect I may end up doing an access course or something next year to prove my ability to stick the course out. According to the UCD mature handbook they will guarantee a place in Arts for anyone who achieves 60% in the access course.

Does UCD even do interviews for mature applicants or are you judged solely on your application? I know trinity does and they also do aptitude tests as well. Also does anyone know what the competition is like for mature student places? Is being younger an advantage or do they prefer older people with more experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭JayC5

Mordeth wrote:
    I have to write out a personal statement to send to the CAO office (by the 1st of february.. yes, yes I left it a bit late). I'm hoping to do arts, with an eye on philosophy mainly.. but what the hell do I put in this statement?

I can't just say I've read a few books on the subject and would like the chance to study it seriously, can I? it's a bit.. generic. I don't really have any good 'impressive' reason why I'd be a good choice for this course.. technically I don't have to do it, I could just read the books myself..although I'm prob not gona bring that up in my statement.

and as for any courses I've done previously... well I dropped out of college three years running.. that's not gona help my case. I suppose I could say I just had no real interest in the subjects I tried to study.. but then what person would admit me to start another course given my track record.

anyone got any tips for what to put in it? should I mention the previous courses and attempt an explanation as to why I didn't exactly do well?

I agree with everything said in the last post as regards the personal statement content, but I do think you should have a valid explanation as to why you dropped out 3 years running.. it doesn't bode well. I don't mean to be a messenger of doom or anything but it doesn't say much for your research and planning skills. Both of which will be an integral part of life during third level education. And as this is your 4th attempt you should really be aware of why you failed the previous 3 times, to ignore this in your personal statement would be folly in my opinion.

I sent my own personal statement recently also, I discussed points concerning everything from reasons why I had dropped out of 3rd level previously to life experience which will aid my course choice and overall goals and objectives. The best advice in my opinion would be to keep it honest, appropriate, to the point and written with an air of sincerity - like you really want to pursue your chosen course. If you don't succeed this time around I suggest you do a certificate course or something similar to show dedication and interest which will be a huge plus to your application next time around.

Anywayz, best of luck with yours :p

Advertisement