Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardest LC Subject?

Options
  • 27-01-2007 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Not including English, Irish, Maths or language... What's the hardest vocational subject? Apologies if I leave something out that should be there....

What's the hardest vocational subject? 85 votes

Physics
    0% 0 votes
    Chemistry
    29% 25 votes
    Biology
    20% 17 votes
    Business Studies
    12% 11 votes
    Accounting
    4% 4 votes
    Economics
    2% 2 votes
    S&S
    8% 7 votes
    History
    4% 4 votes
    Geogoraphy
    16% 14 votes
    Music
    1% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭antSionnach

It would be a toss up between Physics and Chemistry for me. Loved both immensley, and have now ended up following that path in college, but chemistry can be very demanding. Even if you know the answer, answering quiestions in itself is another technical obstacle to getting an good grade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Having no experience of the LC science subjects, my vote goes to S&S. Some find the business subjects hard, but they come easy to me. I deeply regret not doing business studies!!!

Although I find it interesting I find S&S the hardest subject, because of its length and broadness... The course can be very inconsistent, and the papers in the first couple of years since they changed it were damn impossible... It's A1 rate was something like 2.6%. Compared to 10% in physics?! Blah!

It would be a toss up between Physics and Chemistry for me. Loved both immensley, and have now ended up following that path in college, but chemistry can be very demanding. Even if you know the answer, answering quiestions in itself is another technical obstacle to getting an good grade.

From what I hear from my friends (mostly smart people), Chemistry and Biology are meant to have very long courses and some very difficult questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

History is the worst, I mean the subject rewards "parrot" students.
    Some of the stuff in physics is a little hairy like circular motion for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

physics for me. if you're not pretty good at maths, stay away.

• Advertisement

Well I do Ordinary maths and I dont find the maths that bad at all.
    (cept for circular motion which is the only applied maths type question on the paper)
    The Electricity calculations arent too bad if you practice them.
    Still, everyone is different so dont take this literally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Naikon wrote:
    History is the worst, I mean the subject rewards "parrot" students.
    Some of the stuff in physics is a little hairy like circular motion for example.

'Parrot' students? Not familiar with this terminology. Explain please

Students that for example learn essays by rote and expect to get awarded well by simply re-writing information from textbooks.
    History is less about critical thinking than it is about learning off essays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Naikon wrote:
    Students that for example learn essays by rote and expect to get awarded well by simply re-writing information from textbooks.
    History is less about critical thinking than it is about learning off essays.

Yeah... disgraceful carry on *hides in shame*
    Your absolutely right about history being less about critical thinking than learning off essays. As such I'm taking my chances and going the 'learning off essays' route. I see no other way around the course. Maybe instead of history they should call it 'applied memory'

Tell me about It:D
    Besides you will do pretty well I reckon by just learning essays off, thats the trick to History.
    I would love to analyse the brain activity of someone whilst they "study" history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I think, to do well in, (as in, get an A1), art is the hardest. History of art is a crazily big course, and the rest of the mark is completely subjective. However as a day-to-day subject it's grand! Spend all the classes drawing. : )

Music can be dodgy too. One second the questions are perfectly easy, fine, the next second there's some crazy hard dictation to do.

From what I gather from observing my friends, Home Ec is impossible. They seem to have almost an entire text book worth of additional notes. Pages upon pages about milk, or eggs, or stuff. Madness it is. I'd much rather deal with formulae, like applied maths or physics.

I think, to do well in, (as in, get an A1), art is the hardest. History of art is a crazily big course, and the rest of the mark is completely subjective. However as a day-to-day subject it's grand! Spend all the classes drawing. : )

Music can be dodgy too. One second the questions are perfectly easy, fine, the next second there's some crazy hard dictation to do.

From what I gather from observing my friends, Home Ec is impossible. They seem to have almost an entire text book worth of additional notes. Pages upon pages about milk, or eggs, or stuff. Madness it is. I'd much rather deal with formulae, like applied maths or physics.

Indeed, the % rate for an A1 in Arts was 0.6% in 2005... the lowest of all subjects as far as I know.

S&S is VERY difficult but quite doable if it's not combined with many other 'textbook' subjects ie History, Biology, Chemistry - if you're combining it with one of those then you better have a hell of a lot of spare time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Steve01 wrote:
    Your absolutely right about history being less about critical thinking than learning off essays. As such I'm taking my chances and going the 'learning off essays' route. I see no other way around the course. Maybe instead of history they should call it 'applied memory'

but when ya first do the essays, dont you have to some element of analysing in them? As in, not just tell the story, but give your thoughts on the question/essay title? I know what ya mean about learning off the essays though, you do it once, then thats it. I find my essays becoming more generic as time goes on now, last paragraph always has obligatory quote and statistic in it, so Im getting sick of it now.

I said physics in the poll BTW. Dont like the subject at all so thats why i find it hard

EDIT: just did a physics past paper question(OL), cathode ray gun things, quite easy. Iv also been doing some HL questions lately, albeit with a lot of help, and dont know what level to do. The points for higher would obviously be better. B**** subject for that a lot aswell for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Physics - arrrrrrgh

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

Physics isnt actually that difficult once you get your head around the basic principles. Trust me im far from being an academic but physics sint all that difficult.

I'd take a guess at chemistry being the hardest but i dont do it so i cant really comment

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Okay Physics may be difficult for some but like some people have said.. it's not the hardest exam to get an A1 in because your either right or wrong.

But with exams such as Geography/History you could sit a great paper, get a jurk of a corrector and get a B2 ;)

So i'd have to say History due to how difficult it must be to get full marks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Physics - husdbhcjuwfuoheruvfhurnvno

I hate it.... :'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

md99 wrote:
    Not including English, Irish, Maths or language...
    Why?

English is by far the hardest.

I find Physics a piece of píss to be honest. I basically sleep in class, read the chapter, learn about 2 definitions and/or formulae and the rest is common sense. Although electricity etc. gets a bit tricky it's grand when you get your head around it. The experiments side of it is a bit trickier, but really I can't see any reason for people saying physics is the hardest subject. The maths in it is really basic too.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Why?

English is by far the hardest.

I find Physics a piece of píss to be honest. I basically sleep in class, read the chapter, learn about 2 definitions and/or formulae and the rest is common sense. Although electricity etc. gets a bit tricky it's grand when you get your head around it. The experiments side of it is a bit trickier, but really I can't see any reason for people saying physics is the hardest subject. The maths in it is really basic too.

To be honest thats a ridiculus thing to say, come back to me when you get an A1 in the leavin..

It isn't a piece of piss at all tbh, maybe it is to you i don't know.

But to say learning aroudn 200 definitions, 25 experiments, 100's of forumulae while learning how to answer the questions is a piece of piss is just incorrect..

I'm finding it tough because of my inept teacher, i basically have to go through the whole course myself now. And the difference between just reading the book and answering exam questions is very big. ;)

Actually, I went through my physics book on friday and wrote down every equation I could find, and it only filled 9 A4 pages. Not THAT many! And that's including short explanations of what the letters stand for.

• Advertisement

Actually, I went through my physics book on friday and wrote down every equation I could find, and it only filled 9 A4 pages. Not THAT many! And that's including short explanations of what the letters stand for.

Well i've had a rough ganter and i's say that might be right, but that is still 33x9 formulae = 239

That have to be learned off and be able to be used.

Add that to the definitions,experiments,derivations you have to learn and it ain't all that easy;)

Oh, not that many. Definitely not one per line. A fair number, yes, but doable I think! 9 pages makes it seem less terrifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

239?? ROFL, are you taking the piss.

Look at this and this, there's about 40 in total, and a few are even in the Maths Tables, AND many formulae ARE definitions in themselves. 200 my ass.

EDIT: 9*33 is 297.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Can anyone tell me what S&S stands for?

Not to be pedantic or anything but none of those subjects are not vocational subjects as far as i know. Is a vocational subject not a subject involving a skill eg, Engineering, Woodwork and perhaps technical drawing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭xha1r

You're right. The word relates to a trade, therefore vocational subjects are those which further your skills in a specific trade.

The OP must have thought it meant optional.

xha1r wrote:
    You're right. The word relates to a trade, therefore vocational subjects are those which further your skills in a specific trade.

The OP must have thought it meant optional.

According to my S&S book, those subjects I've listed (ie NOT eng,ir,maths or language) are Vocational Subjects...

In the case of some ie. accounting, construction, woodwork, art etc... , don't they further your skills in the trade?

Either way, that's what the S&S book is calling them..... Education section of the Social Studies part if anyone wants to check

md99 wrote:
    According to my S&S book, those subjects I've listed (ie NOT eng,ir,maths or language) are Vocational Subjects...

In the case of some ie. accounting, construction, woodwork, art etc... , don't they further your skills in the trade?

Either way, that's what the S&S book is calling them..... Education section of the Social Studies part if anyone wants to check

Construction and woodwork yes but not necessarily the others. I went to a vocational school (v.e.c) and what made us different from other secondary schools wouldve been vocational subjects - engineering, woodwork etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ciaranajl

What is S&S?

ciaranajl wrote:
    What is S&S?

Just checked examinations.ie its Home Economics Social & Scientific.

I still find it quite funny that a poll on the hardest vocational subjects doesnt contain a single one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I'd say Home Economics, which isn't there. Clever.

Advertisement