Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardest LC Subject?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

JC 2K3 wrote:
    239?? ROFL, are you taking the piss.

Look at this and this, there's about 40 in total, and a few are even in the Maths Tables, AND many formulae ARE definitions in themselves. 200 my ass.

EDIT: 9*33 is 297.....

Here i wasnt actually literally saying there are 297 forumlae, i was saying what 9 a4 pages could list to..

Fair enough if you find physics a piece of piss and make sure you tell us all what you got come August.

But i can see why lots of people would find it difficult. The course is very broad and you don't know what could come up on the test.

Anyway it depends what your looking for and what you see as as a bad result.. I'm going to be looking for a good B in the LC and it's going to be tough ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

How is Maths not listed here? I'm somewhat surprised that Physics is topping the poll, though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Biology. Ugh. I got screwed over by the subject blocks, so had to do it. Thought it wouldn't be so bad, found it's part in science for junior cert easy enough, and got my B. Shock of a lifetime in 5th year. I'm not a science person at all and the sheer amount of pointless stuff is so annoying. Who CARES how rhizopus (bread mould. wtf?) reproduces or what that NADP stuff stands for. Can't stand the terminology either ('attenuated' instead of weakened etc.) and the course is too long and too broad, even though it was recently revised.

Doesn't help that my teacher is absolutely useless. Classes for two years consisted of him reading out a chapter and us doing questions on it. A few bad 80's science documentaries, but we did do all the experiments. No notes. No advice on the timing or structure of the paper. Blahhhh. Need high points, and can't afford to get less than a C1 in Biology, which will be such a challenge, can only do 'average' in one subject. Automatically not counting pass maths, y'see.

I do History also, and it's not fun doing two really broad subjects. Geography's not so bad learning-wise, I find it simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'm not a science person at all

Im guessing thats why those of us who dont like Physics/Biology, picked that subject. I can only speak for physics, which I didnt really want to do, but thats one reason I dont like it. The formulae are easy enough once you know what they mean, doesnt matter how many there are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

I despise Physics with a passion. To be honest, I was ok for mechanics, I could handle it. But as soon as he started going on about cathode this alpha that, he lost me. Tried to drop out of it, but I couldn't if I was to continue to do LCVP. Gonna do the ordinary paper, doesn't seem quite as bad. Learn my definitions and a few of the experiments and I'd say I'll be grand...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

IMO accounting is the hardest! absolute gibberish to me, 5th yr was okay but now its a completely different language to me, havnt passed a test in ages! my teacher seems opposed to letting me drop to Ord level!! i might just drop it and focus on my other 6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Who CARES how rhizopus (bread mould. wtf?) reproduces or what that NADP stuff stands for.
    Biologists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I despise Physics with a passion. To be honest, I was ok for mechanics, I could handle it. But as soon as he started going on about cathode this alpha that, he lost me. Tried to drop out of it, but I couldn't if I was to continue to do LCVP. Gonna do the ordinary paper, doesn't seem quite as bad. Learn my definitions and a few of the experiments and I'd say I'll be grand...

Electricity isnt too bad imo except for magnetism(hardest part of the course imo, left hand rule and all the crap!!! i hate it!). I hope a question on photo emission comes up. like threshold frequencys, work function, E=HF etc That stuff is so simple. Radioactivity is handy too. Not sure on the options, looked at both of them, probably go for particle physics. I suck at both light and sound. Heat is fine. Mechanics....havent really looked at it since 5th year....

Man i need to start revising!

Electricity isnt too bad imo except for magnetism(hardest part of the course imo, left hand rule and all the crap!!! i hate it!). I hope a question on photo emission comes up. like threshold frequencys, work function, E=HF etc That stuff is so simple. Radioactivity is handy too. Not sure on the options, looked at both of them, probably go for particle physics. I suck at both light and sound. Heat is fine. Mechanics....havent really looked at it since 5th year....

Man i need to start revising!
    Funny, magnetism'd be one of the strongest bits for me. We got the general gist of it in National School which I've found has helped me no end for the magnetism on the course. Bit daft, I know.

And a mate of mine does accounting and would've been really good at it for his junior cert. He can't pass an exam for love nor money now. Apparently leaving cert accountancy is meant to be very similar to first year college accountancy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Rozabeez wrote:
    I'd say Home Economics, which isn't there. Clever.

Are you blind or did you never learn the title of the subject in your years of studying Social and Scientific?

Clever indeed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I've actually never heard it referred to as that in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

Neither have I....

History imo, very long, tedious, it's like learning a novel word for word.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Perhaps it's a less feminine version used in boys' schools? Have to say I've never seen it used in my school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

applied maths
    i know most people only do it because theyre good at maths but as a standalone its insanely difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

md99 wrote:
    Are you blind or did you never learn the title of the subject in your years of studying Social and Scientific?

Clever indeed!

No need to get smart sunshine. Social and Scientific is just really an add on to the title of the subject. most people call it home ec/ home economics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Checked today, that's no-where on my home ec book :p

doonothing wrote:
    applied maths
    i know most people only do it because theyre good at maths but as a standalone its insanely difficult
    Not really.

You only have to do 6/10 questions for a start.

And the "hard" maths only counts for 5-10 marks out of 50 in every question. You'd get a B simply knowing the formulae and how to resolve vectors.

Rozabeez wrote:
    Checked today, that's no-where on my home ec book :p

Your initial post ticked me off, I despise unnecessary malice.
    *awaits a post on the real meaning of the word 'malice'*

Either way at least we're in agreement that it's some hard stuff. I think a lot of the difficulty is in the way the questions are asked... how specific some are, and the lack of options. Not to mention the fact that we've to answer the "short" questions, two 80 markers, and two 50 markers in 2 and a 1/2 hours. Ludicrous!

Not forgetting that it's on the SAME day as Maths! Dear God!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Who CARES how rhizopus (bread mould. wtf?) reproduces or what that NADP stuff stands for. Can't stand the terminology

I hope you didn't apply for biology/ medicine!
    One of my courses for my first year in college was basically centred around the entire TCA Cycle/ Pentose Phosphate Pathway. If you don't think respiration is important, stop breathing and see if you change your mind:p

Aoibheann Campbell Is Assiduously Shearing Sheep For My Olecranon...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

The only reason why everyones complaining about physics, is each section is totally different. If you learnt the definitions as you went along, and attempted all possible q's coming up, you wouldn't be complaining about it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

madgal wrote:
    The only reason why everyones complaining about physics, is each section is totally different. If you learnt the definitions as you went along, and attempted all possible q's coming up, you wouldn't be complaining about it now.

same with every subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I never knew Physics was so hard at LC level... I'm having second thoughts on picking it for next year. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

It's not that hard! Well, we've only done optics, mechanics and atomic physics so far but it seems fairly grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Physics makes baby jesus cry :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Jello wrote:
    I never knew Physics was so hard at LC level... I'm having second thoughts on picking it for next year. :(

just pay attention in 5th year

It's not that hard! Well, we've only done optics, mechanics and atomic physics so far but it seems fairly grand.
    Electricity and magnetism can be a bit tricky IMO.

It's weird, but most people who struggle with Physics find mechanics hard and mechanics in physics compared to applied maths is retarded.

Nehpets wrote:
    just pay attention in 5th year

Not so simple when you've a diobolical teacher.

And there are plenty of diobolical maths and physics teachers in this country, unfortunately.

Thing is the teacher one student thinks is a good maths/physics teacher is crap in the eyes of another.

In any subject I've personally never relied on a teacher. At the end of the day you have to sit down and learn it all anyway. Teachers for me are there to answer any questions I may have and to correct stuff/give exams.

• Advertisement

Maths and Physics must be a balls to try and teach though. They've to try and get the explanation across clearly, while making it sound good enough for an exam too.

The teacher got a bloke in my year to explain holes and P-N junctions today. Funnily, his explanations I found to be a lot easier to follow as the english he was using was a bit retarded compared to the teachers'. You couldn't write his explanation down for an exam though...

Advertisement