Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want some new pets.

Options
  • 27-01-2007 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

I already have two dogs but I now want two more pets. Now don't laugh but what I want is two pigs - not any strange multi-coloured hog - just your average everyday pigs.
    I don't want to fatten them for the deep freeze either as I am fat enough myself already.
    Obviously I would have to get them as piglets as they would need to be trained and get used to life as pets.

Would they make good pets and are they as prone to disease as people say.

Would the dogs regard them as moving rashers and is there any government regulations about keeping pigs (just two) as pets. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'm no expert on pigs ...never mind regulations etc ...

But ...I saw a report on German telly once where people kept a pig. They got it as a piglet through some sort of accident/coincidence and kept it.

First off ...they get very big!
    Secondly they are very intelligent and highly trainable ..that particular pig in the report had the pet dog (Alsatian) firmly under its thumb (trotter) and outwitted it at every opportunity to get more food / attention / the better bed etc.

Having seen that, I somehow doubt that two pigs and two dobies would make for a peaceful life ...at least not an easy, relaxed one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

As far as I know there are laws about the keeping of agricultural animals in a domestic setting. Pigs are also actually one of the most intelligent animals in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

http://www.ozpets.com.au/small/articles/SM10003.shtml

Australian - so I don't even know if mini pigs exist in Ireland...... but is shows for small pigs how much space is required & also gives some detail on care requirements

http://www.animalrescuers.co.uk/html/potbelliedpigs.html

a uk based sit about pot bellied pigs

http://www.pigparadise.com/courses.html

a one day course in the UK on keeping pet pigs

hope the above helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Pot bellied pigs make great pets as they dont grow as big as the other breeds of pig. But afaik Dublin City Council forbid the keeping of pigs in what they class "inner city areas" which is basically the while DCC area, if your outside this in Fingal or Dun Laoighre Councel area you might get away with it, but you'd have to check.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Thanks all - I have also been reading up on the net and it seems the little pot bellied pigs are the way to go however also having read about their zest for food I am sure world war three would break out every feeding time so it would not be feasable to keep them and the dogs so I suppose its another idea to be discarded.
    If I had more time it would be an idea but managing two large and highly active dogs and a full time job is more work than you would think.

Pity though - I used to get along great with the pigs the neighbours used to have when growing up and can vouch for their intelligence. No Garda jokes please. :p

I just won't look at rashers the same way now though - pity these poor animals are slaughtered for their meat.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Research in Pennsylvania has suggested they can play basic computer games by moving a joystick with their snouts in order to follow symbols on a screen.

Great stuff - at that rate they should have no problem learning how to type out all my court files. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

We kept pigs that were for freezer & they are easy to keep but are mega strong & in summer you have to watch them as they get sunburn so we had sun umbrellas up & had to put loads of sun block on them.

Advertisement