Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extraction/decompression problem

• 27-01-2007 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭

So i have this set of files that i want to extract, and i tried to run the first one with the purple book icon (top left) in winrar. After taking about 20 minutes to extract, I got an error message saying something like it cant extract files bigger than 4gb because of the NTFS file system or something..

I'll run it again to get the exact error message if needs be, but does anyone know what im doing wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

What is the exact size of the folder?

And where are you trying to extract it to?

For .rar/zip files i just dluble click one of the files, then drag and drop it to where i want.

Could it be a problem with the .rar itself? i.e corrupted..

Also what is the spare space left on your hdd ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

The folder itself is 4.x GB, and the first winrar archive i tried to extract had an uncompressed size of about 4.7 GB . Theres tonnes of free space on my HDD.

Ill try it again and see exactly what the error message is.

EDIT - Error message reads
    There is not enough space on the disk.
    ! Write error: only NTFS file system supports files larger than 4 GB
    There is 30+free gigs on the drive in question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

The problem is your file system which is more than likely FAT32.
    You need to convert it to NTFS to be able to create files larger than 4GB.
    From a command prompt type "convert x:/fs:NTFS" where x is the drive letter you wish to convert. This should sort you out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Yeah, i checked and it is indeed FAT32.

I'll have to do a quick read up on the specifics before I do anything, but thanks for spotting the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭trout

might be a good idea to back up any critical data before you convert the filesystem :D

on the few occasions I have used the convert process it can take a wee while ... especially if you have a large hard drive with many files

• Advertisement
Advertisement