Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mini Cooper vs Mini One

Options
  • 27-01-2007 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I love the Mini and would really like to get one. I was at Joe Duffy's there during the week and they let me test drive the new Cooper (it was fab!!), but the price was insane. It's €25k without any extras.

For that reason, I was thinking of going for the One instead, as it starts at €23k and I could throw on the Pepper pack onto it then, so it'd be just over €24k.

What are the differences between the two cars? Is it just that the Cooper is a 1.6 and the One is a 1.4? I'm used to driving a 1 litre so to be honest, it doesn't really bother me that the One is a 1.4, if anything, tiz a huge hike up to what I'm used to! The main thing here is the price, I don't really want to go over the €24k mark.

What are your opinions on it? Also, I'd probably go for getting a 07 one, rather than second-hand since the price of the older ones is roughly the same price anyway.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Cooper S FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

No way! I can't afford the Cooper S!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

tinkerbell wrote:
    No way! I can't afford the Cooper S!! :(

Well not to be smart but what was the point of the thread if the one is your only option?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What kbannon said ^^^^ :D

But seriously, if you want the look and the feel but aren't interested in a fast car, you could opt for the Mini One

Base list prices are

Mini One: €21k
    Mini Cooper: €24k
    Mini Cooper S: €30k

All Minis keep their value well, so in that light are good value for money. Great wee cars!

Stekelly wrote:
    Well not to be smart but what was the point of the thread if the one is your only option?
    It would be preferably the One but I could look into the Cooper (the normal Cooper). The Cooper S is far too expensive though - €30k compared to €25k for standard Cooper. Can't spend €30k on a car right now :)

Thanks unkel for that. That's what I kinda want, the look and feel of it, I'm not too bothered that the others are more engine powerful than the One, but I just wanted to check if that was the only difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Best of luck, tinkerbell, buying your new car :)

Let us know if / when you get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The new 1.4 MINI One isn't launching until April 14th, along with the Cooper Diesel, and the Sidewalk limited edition of the Convertible Family. As it isn't launching until April 14th, it will be the end of April/start of May before Dealerships have stock. Here's the current breakdown of models.

MINI One 1.4 95 Bhp, 6 Speed, 42 Mpg, € 22, 200 O.T.R.
    MINI Cooper 1.6 120 Bhp, 6 Speed, 48 Mpg, € 25, 250 O.T.R.
    MINI Cooper Diesel 1.6 110 Bhp (260nm Torque), 68 Mpg, € 27, 250 O.T.R.
    MINI Cooper S 1.6t 175 Bhp (260nm Torque FTW!), 6 Speed, 40 Mpg€ 30, 500 O.T.R.

The new MINI One is about 100Kgs lighter than the old one, with 5 Hp more. This gives it a power to weight ratio which is very close to the previous Cooper model. Suspension is softer this time, and the ride is quieter.

Differences between MINI One and MINI Cooper? You can get the roof in a different colour in the Cooper, alloys are standard on the Cooper, and the engine goes from a 1.4 to a 1.6. That's all. Size wise, they're identical, as is the interior trim. You can service either for 5 years for € 250.

OP, you're right about the residuals, MINI's depreciate the least in their class, making them one of the most sensible purchases available at the moment.

The Pepper Pack on the MINI One will be approx € 2, 500, and will include :
    Front Foglamps
    Trip Computer
    Floor Mats
    Chrome Exterior
    15" Alloy Wheels
    Passenger Seat Height Adjustment
    Interior Lighting Package (Ambient lighting with 5 switchable colours)
    Leather Steering Wheel
    Manual Airconditioning
    And the Storage Compartment Package which won't be available until after March production.

The SCP will include extra cubby holes, extra 12v point, storage nets on the back of the front seats, and the ability to adjust the rear seats to increase boot space when you have no rear passengers.

A MINI One with a Pepper Pack and Metallic will be about € 25, 250.

Hope all this helps!

Oh, one last little thing, the word Mini referrs to the older classic cars, and the word MINI refers to the BMW built ones. Take a look at the miniclub site in my sig too, plenty of friendly MINI and Mini owners there who will help you out, and you'll also get to see the social side to owning a MINI!

Wow, thanks ned78 for all that! I appreciate your reply :D

Ah I see now about Mini vs MINI! So I shall use MINI from now on :D I saw a really cool MINI there before Christmas out in Dundrum with an amazing paint job. It was a kinda greeny colour that changed colour when the light reflected off it? Any of you seen this one?

The MINI One not coming into stock til May anyway is just perfect because I will probably look it into getting one after that, so tiz perfect timing.

What kind of a MINI do you drive yourself? I'll check out the website! Hopefully I can be a member soon too :D

I drive an R56 MINI Cooper (Laser Blue, White Roof, White Stripes, Chili Pack, Leather upgrade, MFSW, Panoramic Sunroof, Brushed Aluminium Dash) and I'm the Sales Manager for a MINI Dealership, in case you hadn't guessed :) We just had 8 MINIs out today for a spin to Kerry, organising our clubs big three day MINI event coming up this summer. Perfect roads for a MINI down there!

Best of luck with it Tinkerbell, and maybe we'll see you on the road someday. Oh, and I've edited my previous post too, the Pepper Pack also includes Aircon.

tinkerbell wrote:
    I'll check out the website! Hopefully I can be a member soon too :D

You can join the site without having a MINI, having a passion for the cars is the only pre-requisite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

We just had 8 MINIs out today for a spin to Kerry, organising our clubs big three day MINI event coming up this summer. Perfect roads for a MINI down there!

How do they take the potholes?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

embraer170 wrote:

Not too well I damaged a good year run flat tyre with only 2000kms on it outside Navan a few days ago. About €150 to replace:(

embraer170 wrote:

Very well indeed. The new suspension on the R56 has much more travel, allowing it to soak up the bumps. 4th generation run flat tyres now are much more comfortable, and have virtually no road noise. At the MINI factory, we drove a car with ordinary tyres, 3rd generation run flats, and 4th generation. Couldn't tell the diff between ordinary tyres, and the run flats, but the 3rd generation stuck out a mile.

Then we watched a video of driving with a runflat tyre vs standard tyre when a blowout happens. With the runflat, there's a bit of a wiggle, and the driver keeps it straight with very little input. Without, the car spins out of control, and stops facing back the way it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Whats the service deal?

Richard Hammond could have done with some run flats.

What's this three day event that's happening? Sounds fun :D

I've always wanted to get a MINI, thought they were the coolest cars ever! What's the lighting thing like that you get in the Pepper pack, I heard that it's loads of different colours, like purple n stuff?

Also, I didn't realise the Pepper pack was €2,500, I thought it was €1,500?

This service deal as well sounds good, could you tell me a bit more about it? Thanks for all your help :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

Sorry about the thread jump here, but as we have a MINI salesmanager....

Who is the OEM manufacturer of the diesel engine ?

The MINI website is very flashy, but its hard to get decent info there.
    What are the other "packs" apart from the pepper one?

How many years warranty? 2?

And I second tinkerbells service deal, whats that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

The new MINI One is about 100Kgs lighter than the old one, with 5 Hp more. This gives it a power to weight ratio which is very close to the previous Cooper model. Suspension is softer this time, and the ride is quieter

..........my Cousin has a Cooper "S" and I drove it when new. I could not believe how stiff the ride was. I couldn't live with that on a daily basis !!

I had a Clio 16V year ago, which had a terrific ride yet IMO handled better than the Cooper !

Dundhoone wrote:
    Sorry about the thread jump here, but as we have a MINI salesmanager....
    No worries, jump away! The more info, the better :D

The new Diesel Engine is manufactured by Peugeot. The packs break down as follows :

Salt Pack - MINI One only
    Pepper Pack - MINI One and MINI Cooper
    Chili Pack - MINI Cooper & MINI Cooper S

2 Years unlimited parts & labour warranty, 3 year's roadside assistance. The service deal is out for a long time, MINI subsidise services in order to get you to buy one. For € 250, you can buy 5 years, or 50000 Miles services, which ever happens first. When that runs out, you can upgrade it to the 8 year/80000 Mile package for a further € 350 Euros if you wish. The service pack is transferrable to the new owner of the vehicle if you choose to sell it.

To Tinkerbell : The Lighting pack is great fun, it's like having a disco in the car with changeable lights. The Pepper Pack is € 1740 on the MINI Cooper, that'll be rising to € 1900 approx soon with the inclusion of the Storage Compartment Package, but will cost approx € 2500 on the MINI One, as the pack for the One additionally includes alloys.

MercMad wrote:
    ..........my Cousin has a Cooper "S" and I drove it when new. I could not believe how stiff the ride was. I couldn't live with that on a daily basis !!

I had a Clio 16V year ago, which had a terrific ride yet IMO handled better than the Cooper !

Yes, as stated, the older R53 Cooper S did have stiff suspension. The new R56 S, and all new R56 MINIs have much softer suspension, but still don't roll in corners. There's a world of difference in the new cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ned78 wrote:
    Then we watched a video of driving with a runflat tyre vs standard tyre when a blowout happens. With the runflat, there's a bit of a wiggle, and the driver keeps it straight with very little input. Without, the car spins out of control, and stops facing back the way it was.
    Do they not have ESP?

Anan1 wrote:
    Do they not have ESP?

ESP? I don't know what that anagram stands for, but I assume it's some form of traction. Traction isn't going to do much in the event of a blow out. MINI Ones and Coopers don't have traction control, they're not really powerful enough to give the front wheels any hassle - having said that, if you feel you really need it, it's only about 200 Euro.

The Cooper Diesel and Cooper S do have ASC+T (Automatic Stability Control + Traction) as standard. ASC+T includes Brake Assist which will brake much harder than a person can in an emergency situation. There is also the option to upgrade that to DSC (Dynamic Stability Control, with Hill Assist - so there's no need to use the handbrake on a hill start).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ESP is electronic stability control, a system that can brake each wheel individually in order to recover the car from a slide such as could be caused by a blow-out. I think DSC is the same system.

ned78 wrote:
    To Tinkerbell : The Lighting pack is great fun, it's like having a disco in the car with changeable lights. The Pepper Pack is € 1740 on the MINI Cooper, that'll be rising to € 1900 approx soon with the inclusion of the Storage Compartment Package, but will cost approx € 2500 on the MINI One, as the pack for the One additionally includes alloys.
    Wow, it's even cooler than I imagined :D

I'll have to start saving even more so, didn't realise the Pepper pack was €2,500. So worth it though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

And tinkerbell for the the real girls at heart there is changeable mood lighting inside. My other half treated herself to a new cooper with chilli pack and she loves it. She picked it up early Jan and is still smiling. She's convinced it's the best thing ever;)

Go on treat yourself you won't regret it

Hi endplate - yep I would love to treat myself! It'll have to wait for a few months though :(

What's the story with unusual paint jobs for the MINI? Does anyone know about the one I referred to in Dundrum - a weird greenish type paint that reflects different colours in the light? Thought it looked amazing, probably cost me an arm and a leg though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭turbo

tinkerbell wrote:
    Hi endplate - yep I would love to treat myself! It'll have to wait for a few months though :(

What's the story with unusual paint jobs for the MINI? Does anyone know about the one I referred to in Dundrum - a weird greenish type paint that reflects different colours in the light? Thought it looked amazing, probably cost me an arm and a leg though :(

i've seen it around, its not cheap, i heard it was something like 5000Euro's, though i think thats a bit too much. MINI have a few variations to pick from. TBH i didnt think it looked too good. It only looks good on a TVR

DSC00128.jpg

turbo wrote:
    its not cheap, i heard it was something like 5000Euro's, though i think thats a bit too much. MINI have a few variations to pick from.

Correct! There's 4 variations to choose from, the car is built at the factory in black, then sent to a different part of the factory, and resprayed. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of these flip paints though, it'd be too easy to bore of them, and you'd end up looking like a corsa driver, who's paint job is worth more than his car.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

I'm a bit dubious of the ol flip paint myself, except when it is on a TVR as turbo said.

That service deal is flippin' great, I like the MINI, but wasn't thinking of getting one, but with that kind of service deal I am starting to sway!!!!

Now, who can I hit up for 25 grand................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sarachryan

Hi there Ned etc.
    Not exactly on mini one v. mini cooper debate.
    I've a 2004 Mini Cooper with very low milage and I am thinking of getting a new model. Is there really that much of a difference in the new one?
    Two problems I have are
    1. Is it crazy buying new and getting hit with first buyer depreciation when I could wait 6-9 months and get second hand 2007 Cooper?
    2. If I'm buying one anyway should I just go the extra 5k and get the Cooper S? I presume Cooper S plus pepper pack and metallic paint is 5K more on top of list price. List for Cooper, Pepper with metallic is working out around 27,350.

Dealers are all pretty scabby about knocking much off list price, lots of chat about low margins etc. Not really too convincing.
    Got offered ok trade in but think it'd probably be better to sell privately. Bound to be worth more.
    Any thoughts?

p.s. They should really have called the Cooper S - the Sooper. lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement