Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mini Cooper vs Mini One

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

sarachryan wrote:
    Is there really that much of a difference in the new one?

Yes. Everything is different, every panel, every nut and bolt. It just has a similarity to the old one. It's safer, lighter, slightly larger, faster, quieter, and has softer suspension.
    sarachryan wrote:
    1. Is it crazy buying new and getting hit with first buyer depreciation when I could wait 6-9 months and get second hand 2007 Cooper?

Not really. As you've said yourself Dealers have already informed you of the tiny margins on MINI, Demo margins aren't much better. You'll probably make a saving of a few hundred Euro in going for a Demo model a few months down the road.
    sarachryan wrote:
    2. If I'm buying one anyway should I just go the extra 5k and get the Cooper S? I presume Cooper S plus pepper pack and metallic paint is 5K more on top of list price. List for Cooper, Pepper with metallic is working out around 27,350.

The Pepper Pack is not available on the S, it's only available on the Cooper at the moment, and will be available on the One when it launches later in the year at a higher price.
    sarachryan wrote:
    Dealers are all pretty scabby about knocking much off list price, lots of chat about low margins etc. Not really too convincing.

No one's asking you to be convinced, but quite simply, by the time a trade in is involved, most Dealers have trouble clearing 600 Euro profit on a MINI Deal. Dealers don't hold back discount, it isn't there for them to give in the first place.
    sarachryan wrote:
    Got offered ok trade in but think it'd probably be better to sell privately. Bound to be worth more.

Well that goes without saying. It doesn't matter what car your buying - selling your own privately is always the sensible thing to do financially. Think of it this way, if a Garage wants to sell your car for 20, they must buy it at 16, service it, buy a warranty, tyres, bodywork (Even if you think it's fine, a stone chip on the bonnet warrants a re-spray, etc), make a grand for themselves, and have a grand of a buffer in there to prop up someone's trade in who's interested in yours.

In contrast, you can sell it for 20k. 4 grand up straight away! And you can negotiate a straight sale discount on your new car, but bear in mind on a MINI, that won't be much. Little discount at the front end, means high residuals on the back end when you're finished on it - and let's not forget that MINIs have the best residuals in their class because of this, and because of their high demand.
    sarachryan wrote:
    p.s. They should really have called the Cooper S - the Sooper. lol

Inspired, I like it! :)

Here's a quote from my site, miniclub.ie on the subject of Trade-In allowances, and why people get suprised. Hope it helps!
    After a phone call today from a friend looking for a valuation on his MINI, I decided it would be no harm to give people an insight into how part exchange valuations work, especially now that the new MINI is on the way.

Let say you buy a MINI, and the new MINI comes out later this year. You eye up the shiny new car, and decide "Yes, I'm having it". You have an idea in your head what your car is worth, because you've seen them on Carzone, approach your Dealer to wrap it all up, and get the shock of your life ... your Dealer is offering you a lower price than what you felt the car was worth. So why is that?

Well, a private sale on Carzone can dictate it's own price - and people who want to sell their own cars want top dollar for them. But a Dealer? Well, if you see a Dealer's price of € 21, 500 for a similar car, it could probably be bought without a trade in for € 20, 000. Factor in Dealer profit, and the car is costing perhaps € 1k less? Nope. Even when you factor in Dealer profits, you're forgetting about overheads and warranties. And they're not cheap. This is before tyres @ 200 Euro per corner, Bodywork, etc. So a car retailing for € 21, 500 could be originally traded in for € 17k!

So why the warranties and overheads? It's because, quite simply, if you expect a Premium used car to come in pristine condition, and be every bit as good as a new car, then Dealers are obligated to put the car through very thorough checks. That .5 inch scratch on the bumper is acceptable to you? It won't be to the next owner, and painting a panel can cost anything up to €300. So you can quickly see that everything must be accounted for. And this isn't exclusive to MINI, it happens in every brand in the world.

So the next time a Dealer gives you a panic attack by valuing your car for less than what you feel it's worth, ask them to explain it. You'll see most Dealers are reasonable, and the costs will be justified. And of course you can still haggle aftewards, but the Dealer's job is to sell more cars, and the only way we can do this is to give you the best value possible for your own car, to encourage you to continue your MINI Adventure.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sarachryan

In fairness to Ned, I see where you're coming from. The dealer I've been on to hasn't been too bad either. Just would love to getthe extra few grand froma private sale.
    Here's another quandry for you - I've seen 2006 Cooper S (not R56 , or whatever new model goes by) with very low milage for a very nice price on the Net. Private sale.
    Would I be cracked to go for this? Is there really much difference between this and new Cooper S - enough to justify loads of cash?

Ned - can you say what list price of Cooper S is with sunroof?

Apologies if this feels like you're in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭turbo

sarachryan wrote:
    In fairness to Ned, I see where you're coming from. The dealer I've been on to hasn't been too bad either. Just would love to getthe extra few grand froma private sale.
    Here's another quandry for you - I've seen 2006 Cooper S (not R56 , or whatever new model goes by) with very low milage for a very nice price on the Net. Private sale.
    Would I be cracked to go for this? Is there really much difference between this and new Cooper S - enough to justify loads of cash?

Ned - can you say what list price of Cooper S is with sunroof?

Apologies if this feels like you're in work.

supercharged is better, more fun :D
    the new S seems to be more refined though and easier to live with on a daily basis

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

sarachryan wrote:

Is it crazy buying new and getting hit with first buyer depreciation when I could wait 6-9 months and get second hand 2007 Cooper?

I had that attitude too but when my girlfiremd was looking around for a secondhand MINI they were worth so much that it seemed silly to buy secondhand when for only a little extra you could own a new one with no history so that's what she did and no regrets

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

MINI site seems to have been updated yesterday or today.

Theres a MINI one D.......it seems to be a 1.4!!!

Wheres the MINI Cooper D 110BHP?

Has it not been added to the irish site yet or have MINI gimped the diesel for us poor paddies :? :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I drove (and did a track day in a rented) Cooper S :D

It was pretty zippy, and handled well, but the supercharger whined a lot, and it ate fuel.

I'd always go with a MINI Cooper over a more mundane one btw.

Dundhoone wrote:
    MINI site seems to have been updated yesterday or today.
    Theres a MINI one D.......it seems to be a 1.4!!!
    Wheres the MINI Cooper D 110BHP?
    Has it not been added to the irish site yet or have MINI gimped the diesel for us poor paddies :? :(

Don't worry, the MINI One D has been discontinued since July 2006. The Cooper D is launching April 14th!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭turbo

It was pretty zippy, and handled well, but the supercharger whined a lot, and it ate fuel.

arent superchargers went to whine alot :rolleyes:

turbo wrote:
    arent superchargers went to whine alot :rolleyes:

isn't englosh spoke to people alot? ;) Yes, Supercharges whine considerably. It's intoxicating to listen to them, they're almost sitting on your shoulder screaming "Hurt me, hurt me Goddammit!".

• Advertisement

ned78 wrote:
    Don't worry, the MINI One D has been discontinued since July 2006. The Cooper D is launching April 14th!

Any body any idea what the Cooper D will be like?
    Will it be pretty similar to Cooper to drive?

Thanks

Yes and have you any details of the trim level.....as in will it be the same as the petrol Cooper?

Also have you had a spin in one yet Ned?

Oh and how much is that chili pack now, still €2500 on the cooper D?

April is ages!!!!

Chilli pack on all of them is now E 3540 so don't think it'll be any less on Cooper D. Far as I know they haven't released figures for extras on the D.

I think I am finally decided on getting new R56. Drove a 2006 Cooper S yesterday, great car but far too stiff on the gears for me.

I only do around 6,000 miles a year so I am not even sure I need a Cooper D. From what I hear though, you're getting a hell of a lot of car as well as great fuel efficiency.

Too much choice.

Don't forget Sarah, the Cooper now returns 48Mpg, which the old 1.4 Diesel only barely bettered. So for your mileage, it'll be fine. Dundhoone, the trim level should indeed be similar to the Petrol Cooper.

The Chili Pack is currently € 3540, but will be increasing March 1st, due to the addition of the Storage Compartment Package, and the small increase in the price of Leather.

Oh, and MINI launched discounted MINI Insurance today, go to MINI.ie and get a quote! Plus, if your get a quote, and don't take it, you still get 7 day's Insurance F.O.C. - once your MINI is bought from a MINI Dealer. EDIT : It's not on MINI.ie yet, but it will be soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Have they put the insurance on the website yet?

I think I might go test drive a MINI again tomorrow for the craic :D

Hey ned78, any idea on when the price of the One will be released?

Also, what would be the price of the Cooper + Pepper or the One + Pepper? Also with metallic paint :D

Dealers were supposed to be supplied with prices last Tuesday, but it didn't happen. Here's the estimate for you Tinkerbell :

MINI One - € 22, 200 (Inclusive of all charges)
    Metallic - € 550
    Pepper Pack - € 2, 500 (Approx)
    Total - € 25, 250

MINI Cooper 0 € 25, 250 (Inclusive of all charges)
    Metallic - € 550
    Pepper Pack - € 1940 (Approx, when it goes up March 1st, it's currently € 1, 740)
    Total - € 27, 740

Enjoy!

Cool, thanks ned :D

One last MINI question from me,

The chili pack for €3540

includes:
    Half leather sports seats
    16" 5 star alloys
    3 spoke leather steering wheel
    Chrome line exterior
    foglights
    Interior lighting pack
    rear spoiler
    storage compartment pack
    trip computer
    mats

& basic air con????

is there anything else in there now, that list is from the MINI.ie config thingy, when the pack was only €2700.

Can you fill the gaps in Ned? I've been to 2 dealers so far and neither had a printed out list of accessories/packs and prices for these. Which was dissapointing!

We got confirmation of prices this morning Tinkerbell on the MINI One :

Standard Car : € 22, 200 O.T.R., including all charges.
    Metallic : € 535 (Normally € 550 on Coopers)
    Pepper Pack : € 2, 400.

Total RRP : € 25, 135.

Launching April 14th.

Enjoy!

• Advertisement

Dundhoone wrote:
    Can you fill the gaps in Ned? I've been to 2 dealers so far and neither had a printed out list of accessories/packs and prices for these. Which was dissapointing!

Sure. The old Chili Pack was €2, 700 on a Cooper. The new Chili Pack is € 3, 540, and includes Manual Airconditioning (A standalone option of € 1, 280). You should shop at a Dealer who knows the product ;)

ned78 wrote:
    We got confirmation of prices this morning Tinkerbell on the MINI One :

Standard Car : € 22, 200 O.T.R., including all charges.
    Metallic : € 535 (Normally € 550 on Coopers)
    Pepper Pack : € 2, 400.

Total RRP : € 25, 135.

Launching April 14th.

Enjoy!
    Woohooo! Sounds fab :D Do you have to pay delivery as well, are there any other hidden charges? What does O.T.R. stand for?

That sounds better than I thought it would be, I went to a dealer two weeks ago and they said that the standard car was €22,950!!!

tinkerbell wrote:
    Woohooo! Sounds fab :D Do you have to pay delivery as well, are there any other hidden charges? What does O.T.R. stand for?

That sounds better than I thought it would be, I went to a dealer two weeks ago and they said that the standard car was €22,950!!!

lol, you should SO be dealing with me. Just kidding, I know dealing on threads is frowned upon. No hidden charges there, that's fully inclusive.

Ah! It all makes sense now :D Roll on, I shall keep that price in mind when I'm looking around. Won't be able to buy it for a couple of months as I'm saving up but I will keep ye posted on progress :D Thanks again for all your help ned78, you have been most helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

ned78 wrote:
    lol, you should SO be dealing with me. Just kidding, I know dealing on threads is frowned upon. No hidden charges there, that's fully inclusive.

Pity i wasn't dealing with you ned78 when i was a regular in O'Learys 5 or 6 years ago - dunno if you even worked there then - you could have taught them a thing or two about customer service!! You must have BMW's/mini's flying out the door if you're this good on the forecourt!

DukeDredd wrote:
    Pity i wasn't dealing with you ned78 when i was a regular in O'Learys 5 or 6 years ago - dunno if you even worked there then - you could have taught them a thing or two about customer service!! You must have BMW's/mini's flying out the door if you're this good on the forecourt!

I wish it was that easy DukeDredd, at the end of the day it usually comes down to brass tacks, and when it's based on price, you win some, and loose some. I'm only with O'Learys 4 years now, but I do appreciate the kind comments :)

Hi ned78 - I have a quick question for ya!

I was looking at the new Pepper pack that's out for the MINI One and it includes air conditioning rather than alloys :( I don't really see the need for air con in Ireland!!

So I was looking at the Salt pack as it seems to have everything Pepper has except for air conditioning. 15" alloys, space saver spare wheel and also the multi-function steering wheel ... do I need to get the 3 spoke leather steering wheel to have the multi-function one? Also, what kinda functions are on the wheel?

Also, is the button to start the car (rather than an actual key) standard on the MINI One as well? (I know I am such a girl!)

Getting all excited now :D woo hoooo :D MINI here I come!!!

I don't know who gave you that information Tinkerbell, but it's all wrong. I hope it's not a Dealer :confused: The Salt Pack only includes Floor Mats, Passenger Seat Height Adjustment, Storage Compartment Package, Front Fogs, Trip Computer, and Interior Lighting Package - for € 670. The Pepper Pack gives you everything in the Salt Pack, plus Aircon, 15" Alloys, Chrome Exterior, and Leather Steering Wheel for € 2400.

You must have the 3 Spoke Sports Steering Wheel for Multifunction, so that works out to be an additional € 455 in total.

Yes, all MINIs have the start/stop button now.

If you need anything else, PM me!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

ned78 wrote:
    .......Cooper now returns 48Mpg....

What will one do in the real world?

• Advertisement

What will one do in the real world?

Beats me, I'm driving the S, but I'll find out for you from a Customer if you want?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement