Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mini Cooper vs Mini One

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ned78 wrote:
    the Cooper now returns 48Mpg

That's actually amazingly frugal. It's the same figure as the least thirsty petrol Volkswagen, the 3-pot Polo 1.2l, which @55BHP has less than half of the power of the Cooper

The figure quoted is for the combined cylce. We all know we won't make that in the real world, HF. It is useful though when comparing cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Its certainly impressive, similar to what rivals diesels are achieving(though the diesels will produce 13% more CO2 emissions for the same mpg). What I think is quite spectacular though is that the new 530i does 36.7 mpg, yet the 116i does 37.7.(I know the reasons why btw before I get a lecture on it:D ) Or the 525i with a 3 litre engine that produces more power than the E39 528i, or E34 535i, even the legendary E30 M3 yet does an amazing 38.2 mpg. For comparison, a Toyota Avensis 1.6 litre does 39.1 mpg. The auto boxes have the rare feat of doing even better, what 37.7 mpg from the 530i.[btw the 530d does 44.1 mpg which isnt a lot better than the 530i, and definately gets rid of one of the star attractions of diesel power namely superior fuel economy]. I'm not a fan of the E60 (if the E39 were still on sale(with these new engines of course;) ) it would still be the class leader apart from the slightly limited space and again slightly dated interior) simply because its worse than the model it replaces; I'd still have it over most of its rivals though; but that wasnt the point at all rather to demostrate how far ahead BMW are in terms of their engines' fuel efficiency. When you consider that some 1.6 litre cars(the 116 for instance) offers no better fuel consumption than a 3 litre(in a much heavier car as well) it just goes to show what car makers could do if they were prepared to invest the no doubt substansial sums of money BMW invest in their engines.
    Its even more remarkable that a few years ago the E39 530i(3 litre straight 6) did 29.7 mpg. Now BMW can get 29.1 mpg from an automatic 4 litre V8 (the 540i, which btw back in the E39s day did IIRC 23.7 mpg) have a look at http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsID/2070115.003/page/3/country/gcf/lang/eng/bmw/new-bmw-5-series-facelift-in-depth if you dont believe me:)

Of course as unkel said nobody gets those figures in the real world, but they do give us a very useful guide on how some companies have improved so much. I forgot to mention of course for those who dont know that MINIs are part of the BMW group so obviously what I said applies for thewm too re being so far ahead of rivals

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

New MINI One out this week! YAY! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It's out on Sat, along with the Cooper Diesel, and the limited edition of the cabriolet, the Sidewalk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement