Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you want to be a TD/Senator/President... in Ireland?

Options
  • 28-01-2007 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Thought this might be an interesting one. Most people who post here are politically active, interested, curious, or something similar. I'm sure a good few take part in protests, constantly pester their local TDs, or embrace politics in some way "IRL".

But if the opportunity arose that you could be elected to the Oireachtas (let's for a minute ignore practicalities like actually getting the votes :D), would you want to be?

Would you be able to handle the pressure from your constituents, deal with snide attacks by other politicians, and put up with the constant media scrutiny of your personal and professional life?

Would you manage all that for the power to make your points on the public stage, to hopefully influence policy in some way, and for, shall we say... the 'perks'? ;)

Discuss!

I would most like to be elected to/as... 4 votes

Dáil Éireann
    0% 0 votes
    Seanad Éireann
    50% 2 votes
    Uachtarán na hÉireann
    0% 0 votes
    None of the above
    50% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Absolutely, Eamonn Ryan your ass is grass:D He's the weakest candidate in my area right now imo. Can't believe he thought he could be President.

I'd like to do the T.D. thing for ten or so years and then mould this country into my own little autocracy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

At this moment, not a chance. It's just not worth the hassle. We'll see how much trouble working in the real world will be though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Sure, if I had enough people to write clever rebuttals for me and deliver them via a small ear-piece.
    I think I have the whole talk-until-the-question-goes-away thing down... that doesn't look hard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

president, use your powers well and not say too many contraversial things then ya get a nice pay package, have an entourage every where ya go, forever be refered to as mr president/uachtarian and a couple of visits to other countries per year and basically do feck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

yeah, that's a sweet game to be in alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

TD’s are only voting fodder; the only power is with the ministers. A TD told me this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I've got a few things that I'd like to see done, but I wouldn't be a TD for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

Umm ... why did this poll close before anyone got a chance to vote in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

SeanW wrote:
    Umm ... why did this poll close before anyone got a chance to vote in it?
    Politics mods don't like polls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Politics mods don't like polls.

Why? :?

In answer to Would you want to be a TD/Senator/President... in Ireland? I'd have to say it depends whats in it for me? :D Seriously I would say the hardest part would always being in the public eye and not being able to switch off from it.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

BostonB wrote:
    Why? :?
    This is a discussion forum. Polls detract from the quality of discussion.

The topic remains open for discussion; the poll is closed. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Cheers buddy!

Advertisement