Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazing theremin playing!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

That Zelda theme was great craic, im getting one of those :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Yeah i want one too... Check out that guys myspace. Really cosmic experimental stuff goin on there.

Theyre supposed to be ridiculously hard to play as an actual instrument (ie hitting specific pitches), but that guy did a good job. Id love to run one of them through my GT8 and see what gas things i could do with the different effects :D
    I have a little joke program on my laptop that uses the trackpad to change pitch, and about the best i can do is R2-D2 style bloops :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

There's a theremin player called Pamelia Kurstin who is absolutely incredible, she plays with a band called Barbez who do weird Russian folk/rock. Very cool stuff. Anyway, I always presumed it was a string section playing with the band, nope, it was one girl on a theremin! A tiny google revealed her to be Bob Moog's favourite theremin player and I just found this video on youtube. Fantastic stuff!

I've often meant to buy a theremin kit, they look fun but apparently they're a bastard to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

They couldnt be any harder than say a trombone or violin to learn, its all muscle memory, wants you have a reference pitch youre set... Anyone know of some cheapish theremin kits? Might get one for my birthday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Bill Bailey uses one of those in his sets, I'd love to get one.

They couldnt be any harder than say a trombone or violin to learn
    LOL, famous last words :D

Take something like the standard moog theremin - it has a range of FIVE octaves, in a space of maybe 12 or 15 inches. A LOT harder than a violin or trombone.

But still, looks geat fun, i'd love to get one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The_g-man

http://www.thomann.de/ie/etherwave_theremin.htm
    It's on my wishlist, somewhere near the back..... If it doesn't work out for you, it sounds like there would be a few people ready to take it off your hands afterwards.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

They couldnt be any harder than say a trombone or violin to learn, its all muscle memory, wants you have a reference pitch youre set... Anyone know of some cheapish theremin kits? Might get one for my birthday

Hmmm, not really. The theremin is notorious for being difficult to play which is why it isn't really used. Both those instruments have a physical piece of hardware for you to play on. The violin is essentially a 2D system, you can press the string down anywhere along its length and you can bend it a little across the fretboard if you so wish. Theremins are completely three dimensional, the position in space up, down, left, right, front and back all affects the pitch of the note. The shape of your hand also affects the sound. Sure the Beach Boys didn't even use a proper theremin, they used a dial controlled one.

You can normally get cheapish theremins on ebay where it's nearly all put together and you just have to stick 3-4 bits together and plug it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭!_Brian_!

there such a mental instrument!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

John wrote:
    You can normally get cheapish theremins on ebay where it's nearly all put together and you just have to stick 3-4 bits together and plug it in.

Yea, saw some for about €30, came close to buying it! Must be impossible to play though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

!_Brian_! wrote:
    there such a mental instrument!

No no, it's physical, no telepathy required. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

just wanted to second what john said about pamelia, check her out on myspace, lovely stuff

Advertisement