Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Boards for specific chartiable projects.

Options
2»

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

No offence taken. SSF should have been a charity from day 1. The fact is that every euro more or less, passed through my hands and a separate account but frankly I could easily have embezzeled thousands and noone would know. I'm sure I didnt, I want to have that surety when we create a bigger group. (not to mention I could probably get smacked by tax laws, and that registered charities can get their vat back and other nice tax tricks).

We'll kick the ideas around here for a while longer and then I'll create a forum so we can expand the various topics.

DeV.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Right, I think I may be able to help out when it comes to registering as a charity. Firstly, you don't need to incorporate as such. Similar to the idea of sole trader, you can just set up shop, which would constitute "an unincorporated association with a Constitution or Rules" per Kharn's post.

Secondly, if needs be, the best set-up from what I can see is "a charitable trust established by Trust Deed". That way, the money is effectively in a safe place. There is a board of governers and a chair. This is how most schools, charities and other not-for-profit entities are incorporated.

Yes, you will need an audit. But not a major one. You really just need to keep your books, and the great Revenue commissioners should do the rest. For some reason (don't ask me why), accountant firms seem to conveniently forget (:rolleyes:) that small-sized companies are exempt from full audits.

Also, it would be best if there could be a number (say, 2) of signatories for the accounts etc.

That's all I can think of now, but it's late enough for me to be re-hashing company law that I learned two years ago!

Also, beyond whatever help I can be that way, I'll be willing to put in a few hours manual labour as well (just not before May).

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I very much doubt anything is going to happen in terms of actually "doing" stuff in the first half of this year. It might, I could be wrong, but just setting up and developing the idea and committee will take time.

Thanks for the info Hulla (and Kharn!)

DeV.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

DeVore wrote:
    What I need at the moment is a list "things to do" to become a registered charity.

Tom you could do with having a chat with BigDragon he is going through this process at the moment with his baby OnePercentPledge,I was not aware that there was so much red tape involved in setting up a charity.

This sounds like a very worth while project and with the right people it could be a great success.

Yeah, theres a good bit of hassle which is why I didnt bother for SSF but I didnt think SSF would become a yearly thing to be honest.

Anyone got any ideas for a working title? I'll create the forum next week and we can begin to progress stuff explicitly.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

"The B-Team"? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,418 ✭✭✭✭Victor

DeVore wrote:
    Firstly, noone is watching if we dont do it and franky
    We are.

:)

I'm in south east asia for 3 weeks from the end of this week. I could start this forum now but I worry that given that I wont be able to seriously contribute it might fall flat on its face. But I dont want to wait for a month. Suggestions?

DeV.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Hey DeV, you around tomorrow, we could have a chat about plans and what not and I'd certainly be willing to help get things moving whilst your away.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

oleras wrote:
    And just to make sure everyone know where i am coming from, i dont really have much time for charities, that should be "our" governments job to provide enough money for comunities and the like.
    Perhaps it should. Assuming it should, that's not necessarily a good enough reason to sit around and wait for prospective governments to race after the votes of those helped by charities.

• Advertisement

I am around after 10pm. Drop up or give us a shout. I think I will create this anyway as a few people have said they want to help out and after all, this is partly about me stepping out of the loop and letting some other people take the strain.

DeV.

I'm working at 11pm, sure we'll figure something out :) There's plenty of interest as you said, so mightn't be a bad idea to at least set up a board for us to talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Dub13 wrote:
    This sounds like a very worth while project and with the right people it could be a great success.
    It sure does.

I'm not sure if many people are aware of the Niall Mellon Township Initiative, but they're a good model of how non-professional Irish charity volunteers actually do make a difference on the ground.

In terms of what Tom is generally suggesting, they might be a pretty close model and would be worth checking out in terms of how they operate: http://www.irishtownship.com/

Another idea that struck me was the organisation in London currently re-furbing PC's for Africa based on donations from corporates (can't remember their name atm). Basically when corporates upgrade their IT infrastructure, they donate 'old' PC's to this organisation, who re-build them and ship them out. They also struck a deal with a cargo company who shipped them out for next to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

sceptre wrote:
    Perhaps it should. Assuming it should, that's not necessarily a good enough reason to sit around and wait for prospective governments to race after the votes of those helped by charities.

very good point. We as a country should not have to wait for prospective governments, they should already be here. Using our money to its best ability, im not up on the figures, but i would be more than willing to give an extra 1c on my tax to help children who suffer, people who have no home for familys. And maybe when they doorstep you, or me we can tell them where we want out 1c spent, helping those less fortunate........*removes his rose tinted glasses, and sheds a tear *

Almost as soon as I posted my last post, my computer blew up and I had to reinstall everything. (Actually I whined like a little girl until Amp fixed it :) )

I'll create that forum today from Singapore! :)

DeV.

From Singapore you say??? There's some muppets I bought some stuff from in Singapore off eBay who haven't sent it, you could take care of that for me whilst you're there, thanks DeV :p

Enjoy yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,418 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Kharn wrote:
    From Singapore you say??? There's some muppets I bought some stuff from in Singapore off eBay who haven't sent it, you could take care of that for me whilst you're there, thanks DeV :p
    lol, some karma

Advertisement