Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Aftermarket Warranties

Options
  • 28-01-2007 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭

Hey ppl,

Anyone know where to get aftermarked warranties in Ireland? There are loads of companies that offer them in the UK but can seem to find any here.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Im not aware of any - would like to know though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

They can be got, I just cannot name any names offhand. Any franchised dealer (salespersons) here on Boards.ie would know who they are, (extended warranties & such like), but probably want to keep things quiet, as big mark-ups on the premiums involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

yeah, i'm sure it ll be kept quiet alright, usual rip off ireland, cant understand how a company dosent see an opening here, its big business in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Lumley Auto in the UK sell warranties here - at least they used to a couple of years back. Give them a call/email and see what's on offer.

i'll shoot them a mail and let ye know how i get on, cheers, if anyone else knows of others please keep postin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

M5 wrote:
    cant understand how a company doesn't see an opening here, its big business in the UK

Contact Nigel Buttner on http://www.irelandassist.com/warranty.htm

The company is MAPFRE WARRANTY MOTOR, don't know about the company or product but Nigel is a good guy.

Some companies have tried to market the product in Ireland and theres many reasons why the product has not taken off in the Irish market. One common cause is the "rip-off" consumer nature by Irish consumers and dealer intermediaries. The problem is poor sales and high burn rate (burn rate is warranty profit against loss). Intermediaries commission is pretty low maybe around 23% of the product and its mainly a pain to sell/administrate.

Dealers prefer to charge a house cost into a pot for after sales repair.

Remember you have to have the vehicle serviced by an authorised garage, these are mostly SIMI recognised. This was another problem with UK v Ireland products.

Lawdie wrote:

The company is MAPFRE WARRANTY MOTOR, don't know about the company or product but Nigel is a good guy.

Some companies have tried to market the product in Ireland and theres many reasons why the product has not taken off in the Irish market. One common cause is the "rip-off" consumer nature by Irish consumers and dealer intermediaries. The problem is poor sales and high burn rate (burn rate is warranty profit against loss). Intermediaries commission is pretty low maybe around 23% of the product and its mainly a pain to sell/administrate.

Remember you have to have the vehicle serviced by an authorised garage, these are mostly SIMI recognised. This was another problem with UK v Ireland products.
    Good stuff! looks like that could be the one, Irish address is a good start anyway :-), shot Nigel a mail ll keep ye posted as i'm sure there will be a lot of interest in this topic

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

crosstownk wrote:
    Lumley Auto in the UK sell warranties here - at least they used to a couple of years back. Give them a call/email and see what's on offer.

I'm nearly sure I got a years warranty with them through Victor Motors. Never had to claim through them, so don't know what they are actually like to deal with though.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MM3

A friend of mine has a warranty on his used Saab through Warranty Direct
    , it cost him about 300 sterling for a year.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

didnt even think this was possible over here, so basically I can get a warranty on any privately bought car I purchase, this is excellent. Some second hand car dealers only give a 3 month warranty, with this I can just tell them to forget about it and get it for a knock down price etc.

Damn this would have helped when i bought an accord which had a head gasket problem....doh..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think with some/most/all? of the UK aftermarket warrantys, you have to purchase it right after the manufacturer warranty expires. Im open to correction though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

I am about to buy a car in the North and the dealer has offered me a cost-price 1 year manufacturer's warranty - very handy because if anything goes wrong, I can get it fixed locally.

Does this sound like a kosher offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yeah i have a mapfre one which i got from owen crinigan motors when i bought my car.

They arent the same as manuf warranties, if car is over 5 yrs old, you get a listed warranty, ie what can be fixed is confined to a list, anything not on the list is tough luck

crosstownk wrote:

Lumleys reply

"We only sell through dealership when you purchase a vehicle from them."

we can scratch them off, I have contacted warranty direct and am waiting for them to reply.....

M5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

if you here anything please let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

i think the rac were trying to get into it aswell might be no harm to try them it probley did take off but i defo heard something about it

as Cyrus said about the listed warrenty issue i think some places will only do it if the milage is low or to there average the the year of the car some of them also work that you get the car fixed from a list of there authorised garage you pay the garage and then claim it back from them so just make sure you check what way it works before you buy i have heard of some people getting stung with it and being out of pocket

Lawdie wrote:

Hey guys, Update at last, Warranty direct are not replying to e-mails, I contacted Nigel (above) and they do offer warranties but not on porches/m series beemers or AMG mercs. Thats me out :( but hopefully this will be of some use to you guys

Advertisement