Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange memory problem

• 28-01-2007 2:12am
    Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

I was installing windows today and it BSOD'd :(

So I ran memtest, and sure enough there was thousands of errors...

I tried testing the sticks individually and they are fine, but no matter what speeds, timings or configurations I use, I cannot get them stable in Dual Channel?

I cant even run them in single channel, It just beeps.....

Any ideas? DAMN DFI! :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I have had this problem so many times. What i found worked is overvolting the ram to 3.2v. And going back a few bios versions.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Why so much overvolting? I dnt think Crucial ballistix would like 3.2 volts...

Can you recommend a certain Bios? Thinking of selling this stuff and going C2D:o

This is the version i use " Bios 7-04BTA "

And i have no idea why i have to overvolt. Sometimes i need to, other times i dont. Prolly a bug with the board.

ok, im gonna try a few beta bioses and ill be back :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Did you change slots? ie yellow to orange

• Advertisement

I use orange myself for dual chan. But strangly the pc will not boot with any other config. even a single dimm.

This is what i hate about dfi boards. Great clockers and amzing features. But fook me they are sooooo finickey and tempramental.

I have tried orange/orange dual channel, yellow/yellow dual channel, upper yellow/orange single channel, lower yellow/orange single channel.... Everything!

TonyM is sending me a 2*256 kit, so I will be able to test tomorrow...

The errors are always around the 512mb or 1024mb area depending on which way the sticks are inserted? does this mean there is instablility with one of the sticks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

ok peel the onion... why where you installing windows again? what changed so that you had to do a fresh reinstall? Also you've been running that gear overclocked for nearly a year now, I wouldn't be surprised if you've just worn out the hardware.

Good point. 365 days of running every component pasts its limit will take its toll.

If the ram that tonym sent works, you know its something else, If it fails, its time o change the mobo/cpu

Mine will be up for sale soon. same with the cpu. and everything else really.

The reason i was reinstalling windows was, random programs kept crashing, I was due a reinstall anyway as i done a lot of messing with this install, but when i got a bsod at the start of the reinstall, I decided to run memtest and here I am :)

I suppose a year of overclocking may have taken its toll, but The ram was at stock voltage and the CPU was only at 1.47v...

Im going to do a good 3 or 4 runs of Memtest on each stick tonight and see if i can find the culprit...

***UPDATE***

One Error 25 minutes in:

cimg0673lj6.jpg

The second stick also has a few errors on test 5 :/

To the RMA mobile!

• Advertisement
Advertisement