Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt Card Duty-atm

Options
  • 28-01-2007 5:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

folks,

whats this about? checking my 365 account and see this debit for 10e, alright, not alot. but still. do they take this off one a year or what? i also had this insurance thingy debit on my creidt card from england, again, no idea what is was about.
    whats with all these hidden fees? no wonder the banks are minted the basta*&%.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Ya, another government tax. Brought in about 2/3 years ago. E40 for a credit card. You get charged each year, not a once off thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Its not the banks fault, they make nothing off it and just collect it. It has been happening for at least 3 years. Blame the government, first cheque fees to get people to stop using cheques and then when they got that, slap on the CC and ATM fees. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

what was the reason behind implementing this tax? I remember when it was brought in and the uproar over it but I cannot remember the reason

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Ruu wrote:
    Its not the banks fault, they make nothing off it and just collect it. It has been happening for at least 3 years. Blame the government, first cheque fees to get people to stop using cheques and then when they got that, slap on the CC and ATM fees. :(

I agree. You can't win though. I've just come back from Australia. They don't have the government fee there but most of the big banks cards all have a fee. The money there goes to the banks. Don't know who I'd prefer it to go to, the banks or the government :o . One bank charged me AU$80 per year. Another AU$40. I'd say you'd get the same situation here if the stamp duty here was removed. Some banks over here love to charge for everything.

Edit: Forget what I said. I was talking about Credit Cards. Just realized it was about ATM cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

i still don't understand what the reasoning behind the ATM or CC fees are ...

although, the fact that they are charged on April 1st every year is some indication that there are some beancounters in Dail Eireann pissin' their cacks with laughter at this latest jape! :mad:

• Advertisement

still ... it's not too bad ...

you can get an exemption "where the card is issued in respect of a deposit account, the average daily positive balance of which does not exceed €12.70"

http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/financial.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

Rabies wrote:
    Ya, another government tax. Brought in about 2/3 years ago. E40 for a credit card. You get charged each year, not a once off thing

ISTR this was meant to be a "temporary" measure, for 3 years or something, to provide funding for some project or other :rolleyes:

Whatever about the credit cards, charging users €10 just to access their own money via ATM's is really a tax on technology. And a nice earner for the govt. Another thing to rant about when they come lookin' for votes.

It was going to be €20, but so many cards were returned, the banks supposedly made "representation" to finance minister, & he agreed to reduce the charge.

There is also a similar charge for Laser cards, but I think having an ATM + Laser means you only pay once (hope so!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I have a laserATM combined card and the feckers hit me for 20 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

gerryo wrote:
    ISTR this was meant to be a "temporary" measure, for 3 years or something, to provide funding for some project or other :rolleyes:

Income tax was a short term measure introduced in the 1800's to fund the Napoleonic wars. Need I go on?

legs11 wrote:
    i also had this insurance thingy debit on my creidt card from england, again, no idea what is was about.

OP ... out of interest, was the "insurance thingy" from a english company beginning with P ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

I have a laserATM combined card and the feckers hit me for 20 quid.

yeah that is right,
    they charge you for having two cards, a laser and an atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

sgarvan wrote:
    yeah that is right,
    they charge you for having two cards, a laser and an atm.

I was charged 20 for my new atm/laser card and 10 for the old cracked atm card it replaced also. Rang the bank and was refunded the extra 10, just proves what the x-files always said........ :D

Advertisement