Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Houses boarded up in Balbriggan

Options
  • 28-01-2007 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

I am in the market to buy a new home. I was looking at some in the Cardy Rock development of Bablriggan. The estate seemed ok, there are a number of houses there which were allocated as social housing, the estate seems fine. Except after driving round the estate I noticed two houses boarded up. Has anyone any idea why a house would be boarded up, there were no signs of any fire damage. Has the council got any poilicy wherby they board up a house in a certain situation. I have heard that sometimes travellers who are allocated a house, just live in it for a week and take everything, doors, windows etc, forcing the council to board up the house. Is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't know why they are boarded up, but I think your imagination is running wild.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I haven't seen any boarded up houses in cardyrock,but have in other parts of the town.

Maybe if you ask the council?

Cardyrock looks nice,and it is near town too which is good.

I didn't know there was allocated social housing in there,there seems to be loads of it around Balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Some developers board up houses before finally selling them in order to avoid windows being broken. Have no idea if that's the case in this situation though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 tubes

Just checked with the council and it seems as they are 'vacant dwellings' they are boarded up for security reasons. So if anybody is looking for a house in Cardy Rock give the council a call, thre's two vacant!!

When the estate was built I think approx 108 houses and apartments were allocated as social housing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

tubes wrote:
    Just checked with the council and it seems as they are 'vacant dwellings' they are boarded up for security reasons. So if anybody is looking for a house in Cardy Rock give the council a call, thre's two vacant!!

Vacant doesn't necessarily mean abandoned btw. As there is an older demographic around here - I've seen a number of houses vacant from time to time - as the occupants are moved into some form of care. The houses aren't necessarily abandoned but in most cases the person never returns, and for whatever reasons nothing can be done until the person dies.

Most time these go un-noticed - but every now and again an element discovers a house empty and subsequently use it for "recreational" pursuits. The last house that was boarded up here was at the request of the neighbours. It wasn't until the individual passed away that the house was eventually gutted and redeveloped.

D.

• Advertisement
Advertisement