Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 month countdown - boys names

Options
  • 28-01-2007 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

and I will be a daddy.
    http://www.de-ridder.info/personal/update.php

We dont know what it is yet .... we have girls names but have difficulty finfing a nice boys name.
    I would like nothing foreign and if possible nothing to english either.
    Fionn is however not an option ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

There's loads of nice Irish boys names:

Tadhg
    Conor
    Sean
    Neil
    Cathal
    Cian
    Ciaran
    Cillian
    Colm
    Daire

Try looking at websites, there are loads out there.

Congrats by the way, we are expecting the arrival of our babs in just under 6 months too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

http://www.babynamenetwork.com

There are thousands of names here, from Aboriginal to Zimbabwean baby names and everything in between. I picked a Welsh name for my daughter, from this site.

Congrats on the pregnancy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

If you're picking an Irish name then will you at least make sure you use an Irish spelling? In my opinion there's nothing worse than an Irish name with a made-up English or phonetic type spelling.

eg
    Ciaran (fada on second a, not sure how to do that with this keybpard), not Kieran.
    Sean (again fada), not Shawn.
    etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Shawn and Shaun are scots gealic verisons of Séan.

Aside: dame go into System Settings, International & select the Input Menu, and make sure that "Irish" is selected. Then you use use the key Alt GR which is beside the space bar you press that and what ever vowel you want.
    áéíóú.

I like names that have a link back to family even if it is a second name.
    My daughter was born on her grandfather's 50th birhtday and so her second name is Roberta after him which is quiet a contrast to her old irish first name.

Also mine are name after people from irish myths and legends and they enjoying hear the story of those who had the same name, why thier name was chosen for them, helps them with thier identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭newwifey

We are due another arrival in about 5 months and have a boys name picked but no girls name. Have a sneaking feeling it may be a boy anyway.

We have settled on Odhran (fada on the a) pronounced oran and spelled orinn or orann but we will be going with the irish spelling

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote:
    Aside: dame go into System Settings, International & select the Input Menu, and make sure that "Irish" is selected. Then you use use the key Alt GR which is beside the space bar you press that and what ever vowel you want.
    áéíóú.

Thanks Thaedydal.

Sctos Gaelic is not Irish.

To those wondering how to spell Irish names and sticking in fadas where they feel like;
    the fada on a vowel lengthens the vowel. So if you want to pronounce it as Oran (as in Oranmore, Co.Galway), then putting in a fada on the a will mean a native Irish speaker will pronounce it Oraaawn.

I suggest the original spelling of old Irish names. Do some research or you'll come up with a nonsense.

Each to his own I suppose but getting beautiful traditional names wrong really bugs me to be honest.

Well I first read of the names we choose in Táin Bó Cúalnge so I am happy that they are indeed the old irish verisions.

But what an 'irish' name is will change with different people new cultures coming
    to live and have children here.

There are Dafos, Chucka, Shajed, Dion, Cardy as well as the James, John, Robin, Paul and Mary in my children's classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭desiredbard

dame wrote:
    If you're picking an Irish name then will you at least make sure you use an Irish spelling? In my opinion there's nothing worse than an Irish name with a made-up English or phonetic type spelling.

eg
    Ciaran (fada on second a, not sure how to do that with this keybpard), not Kieran.
    etc.

Oh of course.... I would not dare to do it without.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Thaedydal wrote:

áéíóú.

I like names that have a link back to family even if it is a second name.
    My daughter was born on her grandfather's 50th birhtday and so her second name is Roberta after him which is quiet a contrast to her old irish first name.

Also mine are name after people from irish myths and legends and they enjoying hear the story of those who had the same name, why thier name was chosen for them, helps them with thier identity.

Also, Alt Gr, Shift and the letter (Á,É,Í,Ó,Ú) for Áine etc..

I love Eoghan but don't like the name spelled any other way. :confused: Also, Odhrán is usually pronounced orawn, like Úna is oona, rather than uh-na (although people have less of a problem with that due to its existence in other languages).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

How about Toirdealbhach? Sometimes seen as Turlough. The correct pronunciation is Tray-lock. Also, Cathal, Diarmuid and Oisín are nice, if you're into the Irish names. Good luck with the pregnancy and birth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭desiredbard

Slow coach wrote:
    How about Toirdealbhach? Sometimes seen as Turlough. The correct pronunciation is Tray-lock. Also, Cathal, Diarmuid and Oisín are nice, if you're into the Irish names. Good luck with the pregnancy and birth.
    Encountere Iain yesterday which has a nice ring to it.

Do not mean this nasty but the sites above are even more sceptic perverted[/] then http://www.20000-names.com/ is.
    McArthy as a first name, and the American misspellings of some names.:mad:

Actually we (I) am loooking for an Irish name which is not going to raise to many eybrows and involves respelling the name for 30 minutes, to still end up with a "typo" when abroad.

Niamh is confusing enough, I have seen Niamf Niamph Neve Niav etc
    Same thing for me: Baz Boz Baaz Bass Bos Boss (I like the last one)

Thing is I was born in Holland and my parents made a point from it to include the identity in the name. I think its a good thing. Now the baby is going to be Irish, the last name will be dutch (mine).
    I think it would be stupid to give him/her a full dutch name. So I set my heart on Irish firstnames, (No Kyley's Britney's or Brads), but nothing to severe either (I hate long names that can be abreviated).
    If possible no mainland connections either ;) although James might be an option.

OK thats narrowing it down isnt it, Irish not to long and not exceeding 2 syllables if possible (and 8 characters)

BRAN:meaning "raven."
    AODHAN meaning fire
    COLM meaning dove
    CONALL "strong as a hound/wolf."
    DAITHI (Daithí): Irish/Gaelic name meaning "swift."
    DONAL: Irish nickname for Gaelic Domhnall, meaning "world ruler."
    OISIN (Oisín): "Little deer."
    OSCAR: "Deer-lover." Irish name composed of the Gaelic elements os "deer" and cara "lover."
    RONAN (Rónán): "Little oath/seal." Irish name composed of the element rón "oath, seal" and a diminutive suffix.

There are plenty of them but I guess you have to findone that fits and feels right and one that the dutch half of the family won't struggle to pronounce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Hmmm... read and listen, write down names you think you like the sound of, find out about your own ancestry.

If you read the great kids' version of the Fiannaíocht by James Stephens you'll find all the names of the Fianna (http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/ift/). Good fun, too!

You can also try the Red Branch Cycle, though I've never been able to stand that crowd, personally.

You're quite right about not making things difficult when they go abroad. Pain in the ass to be always explaining one's name and spelling it for people.

By the way, Shawn and Shaun aren't actually Scots Gaedhlig, they're transliterations of the sound of Seán into English, Thaed. Scots Gaedhlig (there should be an accent grave on one of those letters, I think) has spelling more like the proper Irish spelling discarded here in the 1960s - no 'w'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

What about Seamus, isn't that the Irish version of James? I, like Thaedydal, like the idea of names cascading through generations of family. The traditional method in Ireland is first born if girl is called after mother's mother, if boy, after father's father.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

What could be better than (mo aimn)Ruairí or Rúaidhrí (I think that is the Scot spellage).:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Thaedydal wrote:
    I know I'm being pedantic, but its Seán - not Séan. Believe me, I know - I sent a batch of 1000 business cards back because of this:D . I also think that Shawn and Shaun are anglicisied and Amercanised (Not Gaelic/Scots Gaelic) versions of Seán, which itself is an Irish version of the Hebrew name, John. The letter W does not exist in either Gaeilge or Gaelic. The the letter S in both languages does not require a 'h' to to give the 'Shh' sound of Seán - it requires the 'e'.

Regards,

Seán.:p

Yes you are right it should be Seán some times my dyslexia gets the better of me.

Along with no "w", there's also no "k" or "y" in the Irish language.

Thaedydal wrote:
    But what an 'irish' name is will change with different people new cultures coming
    to live and have children here.

There are Dafos, Chucka, Shajed, Dion, Cardy as well as the James, John, Robin, Paul and Mary in my children's classes.

A name is not made "Irish" just because there is a child of that name in an Irish classroom, wherever the child comes from/was born. Fashions for names will change but an Irish name is an Irish name and that will never change.

When I went to school there were three Caroline's and two Joanne's in my class but nobody would ever suggest they were Irish names.

What is mean is these will be the names of irish people rather then being lingustically irish names haveing a root in the irish language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I found it hard to find nice Irish boy names...but found this one....Rian!!...unusual..but not weird!! (Pronounced REEN)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

kaiser1 wrote:
    I found it hard to find nice Irish boy names...but found this one....Rian!!...unusual..but not weird!! (Pronounced REEN)

A friend of mine has a little lad of a similar name - but she spells her young lad's name "Riaghan".

I'm a fan of Irish names, my eldest is called Niamh and the most recent addition is Liam.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

dame wrote:

eg
    etc.

Kieran is a completely separate name to ciaran, not connected at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

I have to say that I love the name Senan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Ruu wrote:
    What could be better than (mo aimn)Ruairí or Rúaidhrí (I think that is the Scot spellage).:)

No better name at all - which is why i called my son Ruaidhrí! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

I have an Irish name but would have preferred not to.

In my (lengthy) working life I have often worked with non-Irish (mainly ENglish) people.
    In these cases I found it a hassle to be constantly spelling and re-pronouncing my name. In many cases these people just avoid using my name at all.

Similarly, a day to day basis (e.g. simple tasks like when you hire a video) do you really want to be spelling & re-pronouncing your name???

Keep it simple, easily pronouncable/spellable!!

I hate to say it but I find the tendency towards Irish names a somewhat nauseating symtom of the new confident celtic tigers. Very much a phase..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I like Irish names, and I'm glad to see Irish people confident - hope it's not a phase. (Is it a phase when French people give their kids French names, or Spanish people...?)

It's mch better than calling our kids Megan or Chloe or Ben or Jake - now there's a phase! A little individuality is wonderful. I'd rather have a different name than have to run through my address as well to confirm that I'm a different Ben Murphy, not the Ben Murphy from down the road who's overdue returning his DVD's!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

dewsbury wrote:
    I hate to say it but I find the tendency towards Irish names a somewhat nauseating symtom of the new confident celtic tigers. Very much a phase..

Well, all patriotism aside, Irish names weren't exactly unused before the celtic tiger, though I appreciate the issue you have with foreigners and your name. People have trouble with mine (Pádraig) even though it's one of the more common and least intimidating ones. Though, if I used Ó Súilleabháin instead of O'Sullivan I'd imagine that things would be far worse for them..

Name choices go through phases, there is a lot written on how the cycle goes and how some drop out and how some names are never that far from popularity. What I find odd is the use of common nouns as peoples names. I swear some day I'll be introduced to some poor thing called Siúcra and have trouble keeping a straight face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Siúcra, Cabáiste, Páipéar Leithris, Coinín and Folúsghlantóir will all be big in years to come. But seriously, there's nothing wrong with Irish names imo. They're certainly better than names taken from soaps and famous people and so on.

Advertisement