Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 month countdown - boys names

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

simu wrote:
    Coinín

Oooh, good one.

"Coinín! Go clean your room!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

dewsbury wrote:
    In my (lengthy) working life I have often worked with non-Irish (mainly ENglish) people.
    In these cases I found it a hassle to be constantly spelling and re-pronouncing my name. In many cases these people just avoid using my name at all.

This is a good point. As someone with a non-irish background, I have always had really big problems with spelling and remembering Irish names, and I know it annoys some people when I constantly get it wrong or have to ask them to spell it again!
    Also as someone with a mildly unusual name myself, it actually ended up getting "anglicised" to a slightly different version, and is now the one I use the most. It doesn't bother me at all, but my parents complain about it.

So I guess the suggestion is that for the sake of your kids' patience, just keep it easy and maybe try avoid unusual versions? If something is too wordy/ hard to say/ spell he may just end up getting nicknamed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I don't know. I find, for example, those very easy to say four letter American names - chet, chad, jeff, zach, seth etc - impossible to remember. Better something more unusual imho!

InFront wrote:
    So I guess the suggestion is that for the sake of your kids' patience, just keep it easy and maybe try avoid unusual versions? If something is too wordy/ hard to say/ spell he may just end up getting nicknamed.

That happens anyway. I've yet to meet another Pádraig or Páraic my age who didn't pick up the nickname Podge in primary school and have it continue to stick since then. ;)

That said, I don't get annoyed by it but I will correct someone if they call me Pat or Patrick.

Patsy would be bad, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,405 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Luke.

Then you can pick him up every morning and say, "Luke... I am your father..."

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

simu wrote:
    Siúcra, Cabáiste, Páipéar Leithris, Coinín and Folúsghlantóir will all be big in years to come. But seriously, there's nothing wrong with Irish names imo. QUOTE]

I have met a child called Uisce. I kid you not.

My 2 have lovely Irish names, not to be trendy but because the language is important to us. We thought they were simple enough names but both of them are constantly being mispronounced and mis-spelled even by our own families. It's hard to keep correcting people but my 4 year old corrects them herself now.
    The surname adds to the confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

littlebug wrote:

My 2 have lovely Irish names, not to be trendy but because the language is important to us. We thought they were simple enough names but both of them are constantly being mispronounced and mis-spelled even by our own families. It's hard to keep correcting people but my 4 year old corrects them herself now.
    The surname adds to the confusion.
    I was about to say I had "uisce" as a username on another board and I think it would be a nice name... maybe not then =/

Can I ask what yours are called?

bluewolf wrote:
    I was about to say I had "uisce" as a username on another board and I think it would be a nice name... maybe not then =/

Can I ask what yours are called?

I think part of it was that the day I met her she was an annoying little madam who kept all the glitter to herself ! (kids art class). I was telling a friend about her name and she just said (think broad mayo accent) "Wawwwther like" which made me giggle. Maybe if she's been a polite pleasant little girl I'd have liked the name.

My kids are called. A... hang on.... that'd mean putting my babies names on the internet and making us identifiable! Ok loads of people probably have the same two names as my two but being the paranoid individual that I am I'll pm you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

when we were expecting our legendary little son josh who is five now we had about 3 boy names and 3 girl names picked out

course when we saw him for the first time none of those names "suited him" and we called him joshua which was a name that wasn't ever mentioned while the missus was preggers :)

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote:
    Maybe if she's been a polite pleasant little girl I'd have liked the name.

I read that as peasant first time around and it still made sense...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

littlebug wrote:

That'll be copying the celebs calling their kids Apple (Paltrow-Martin), River (Phoenix) and Peaches (Geldof). Just to be ultra-cool they pick an Irish word instead of an English one.

I actually like the name Cara for a girl though. It's a noun too - friend in Irish, but I don't think as a name it has an Irish origin, or does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Geordie_Girl

littlebug wrote:

I think part of it was that the day I met her she was an annoying little madam

I've met a girl with this name too. And she was a proper little bully.

There can't be that many of them! (Uisces not bullies.)

I've met a girl with this name too. And she was a proper little bully.

There can't be that many of them! (Uisces not bullies.)

That sounds like her alright!
    Actually her parents could be reading this so we should be nice. It's just an unusual name (each to their own) and sure can't they all be little monsters sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Its funny but its probably best just to have an idea of the names you like instead of saying to yourselves "if its a boy he'll be called...or if its a girl she'll be called..."

We had a couple of boys names picked out and a couple of girl names aswell....but the minute we saw our son after birth we just knew he was a Daniel....

Its only when you have your baby in your arms and look at him that you realise what name probably suits your baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamh1975

Hi,

I love irish names. But yes they can be confusing to non irish folks. I remember once at work a yank read my name badge and said that "Nigh-am -H" was a great name!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

dame wrote:
    It's mch better than calling our kids Megan or Chloe or Ben or Jake - now there's a phase! A little individuality is wonderful. I'd rather have a different name than have to run through my address as well to confirm that I'm a different Ben Murphy, not the Ben Murphy from down the road who's overdue returning his DVD's!

what's wrong with megan?!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭newwifey

I know a guy called Uisce Waters!
    I kid you not.

Anyway back to the boys names.
    We have settled on Odhran, but I do like Luca but hubby hates it.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

I too am a fan of Irish names.
    Have 2 girls already Shauna and Clodagh
    And have a little boy on the way in 3 weeks ( please god)
    He too shall have an Irish name ( nothing too mad) but sworn to secrecy until the moment of arrival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

nesf wrote:
    Oooh, good one.

"Coinín! Go clean your room!"

Or ''Coinín is at it like a bloody rabbit again"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Try to avoid feargal (sp) though, thats just mean.

foxinsocks wrote:
    what's wrong with megan?!

Nothing. It's a nice name, that's probably why there are a lot of them the last few years. A bit like how there were a lot of Caroline's and Anne-Marie's and Fiona's when I was growing up.

boreds wrote:
    Try to avoid feargal (sp) though, thats just mean.

Or Fintan. Some of those names can be nice when they're an old family name. I've an Irish name and was named after my grandmother. I don't like the name particuarly but it's nice to have been given a name as a family tradition (eldest daughter of eldest daughter of eldest daughter).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 NiamhEile

dame wrote: »
    Along with no "w", there's also no "k" or "y" in the Irish language.

There is no: J,K,Q,V,W,X,Y,Z in the Irish language

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Is violin not veidhlín? Therefore the letter 'V' is in use in the irish language?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Rogueish wrote: »
    I have to say that I love the name Senan.

+1 cause its my name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 NiamhEile

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    Is violin not veidhlín? Therefore the letter 'V' is in use in the irish language?

That is clearly a fake, makey-uppy anglicised word like 'carr' instead of 'gluastáin'. I guarantee you, there was never supposed to be a 'v' used in the Irish language. The word would have been 'fidil', not 'veidhlín'. And you probably WILL find it in the dictionaries though; that is the sad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭lezizi

I love the names, Rian, Ronan, Cathal, Daniel and Adam.
    My son's name is Carrick, I love it i thought it was nice and different, but everyone spells it Carraigh, but i prefer it spelt with a k, I dont care if k isn't in the irish language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

Kevin or Gearoid with a fada over the o-too lazy to go back through the thread to find out how you do fadas.

• Advertisement

NiamhEile wrote: »
    The word would have been 'fidil', not 'veidhlín'.

Where did fidil come from? ;)

Advertisement