Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Postal Districts

Options
  • 28-01-2007 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

A discussion on a thread about accommodation got me thinking about the postal districts in Dublin. I live in Dublin 15 and there are some differing views as to where Dublin 7 and Dublin 15 meet. I am thinking about the Ashtown area.

Just out of interest would anyone here know where one postal district ends and another one starts? I was born in Dublin and have lived here for more years that I care to remember and cannot say where the dividing line is between two adjacent districts.

Has anyone here got access to a street map of Dublin which shows the boundaries?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

No that does not work for me. What I am thinking of is a street map which shows the boundary line of each postal district.

Does anyone know where I could find such a map. I have been in touch with the Ordnance Survey and they say they have an old style map of Dublin which may have what I want. Has anybody here got the map in question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.dublintourist.com/maps/dublin_postal_codes.shtml

I suggest going to the local sorting office and taking a look at thier map of the area or getting a copy of Tom street theauras.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Thaedydal wrote:
    a copy of Tom street theauras.
    Or even Thom's Street Directory ;)http://www.thoms.ie/content/streetdir.asp available at your local library.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Anyone got a logon to Thoms ????;)

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote:
    I suggest going to the local sorting office and taking a look at thier map of the area or getting a copy of Tom street theauras.

Do you know if An Post have maps detailing the postal districts?

Each sorting office has a large map on the all of the area they deliever into, with the addresses for each area.

The website http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost has a verify address servcie as well.

As for exactly what the address of a property is, you have to consult the Deeds for it.
    The legal address, postal address and common address may differ.
    With many of the new devleopments arround Dublin 15 and it's ajoining area it can take a while for the exact postal addresses to be sorted out.

I am living at the same address for the last 16 years and at another address in the same area for 8 years. I still have never seen a street map of Dublin which shows the postal districts.

In that time parts of Finglas and Ballymun have apparently moved to Glasnevin and much of Blanchardstown has moved to Castleknock.

Has anyone here seen a map which shows the boundaries between areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

joolsveer wrote:
    In that time parts of Finglas and Ballymun have apparently moved to Glasnevin and much of Blanchardstown has moved to Castleknock.
    And what about that old chestnut - Dublin 6W.

The dublin 15 area is a lot bigger then people think and not that much of it has postal addresses of Blanchardstown.

There is also Coolmine, Clonsilla, Huntstown, Hartstown, Tyrellstown, Porterstown, Carpenterstown ect and none of those address' require for a postal address or a legal adress for the Name blanchardstown to be included infact doing so is spurious.

The Demse which determine which house is where can be looked up in the reference section of your local library.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

And what about that old chestnut - Dublin 6W.

And damn proud of it we are. I love the way the council simply scrawled 6w in paint on most of the signage so you can still see the 12. :D:D

Perhaps its a battle scar;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

The Ordnance Survey sell one.

Thaedydal wrote:
    There is also Coolmine, Clonsilla, Huntstown, Hartstown, Tyrellstown, Porterstown, Carpenterstown ect and none of those address' require for a postal address or a legal adress for the Name blanchardstown to be included infact doing so is spurious.

The Demse which determine which house is where can be looked up in the reference section of your local library.

What do you mean by legal address? On my house deeds it says that the house is in the Barony of Castleknock. I believe this barony covers a very wide area. Would I legally be justified if I sold my house as being in Castleknock even if it is about 4km from Myo's?

What is the publication called which determines which house is where?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

There's a huge thread on the Infrastructure forum about the new postcodes so I woudn't worry too much about boundries as these may change drqamatically quite soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

The Independednt Directory used toi have a map of Dubin along postal boundariews, not sure if they still do it but worth a look

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

i live in royal canal park and we use both d7 and d15 postal codes

although the other day i got a letter with my d7 post code on it with a sticker from post office attached saying it should be d15 so i suppose d15 begins from royal canal park all the way along up over cambells bridge and then anything on the blanch side of the ratoath road

What ?

Cambells bridge is ment to be the divide between finglas D11 and cabra D7
    So they are saying the river road and all those new apartments are d15 ?
    dear gods they are going back to the scribblestown arguement.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Sounds similar to some of the arguments for houses built and advertised as being in Lucan but were actually Clondalkin.

Many residents of those estates initially refused to accept post sent to them that were labelled 'Clondalkin'.

Once we get proper postcodes released that should help clear this kind of rubbish up.

Advertisement