Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

7 Months of FIAT.... Can you beat it?

Options
  • 28-01-2007 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Okay so i've had my FIAT 7 Months now and had problems after problem one after another until finally on Friday, on the M50, the engine went up in smoke.... ya know like, on fire!! So until tomorrow when the garage will begin to strip the engine and i'll find out what the dammage is i decided i'd make a list to share with some people the problems i've encountered in the run up to this moment. The list is 100% true and as i remember more items i'll add them. So here we go:

Trips to Garage: 23
    Time in Garage to date: 39 Days

Problem: Fuel Injection Light
    Resolve: ECU Fault, Remaped

Problem: Windescreen Wipers Stuck on Slow
    Resolve: Motor Fault, Replaced

Problem: Rear Break-Lights Blown
    Resolve: Wiring Replaced

Problem: Missing 6th Gear
    Resolve: New Gearbox Fitted

Problem: Drivers Seat Jammed
    Resolve: Lever Replaced

Problem: Noise from NEW Gearbox
    Resolve: Gearbox Fitted Incorrectly, ANOTHER NEW Gearbox Fitted

Problem: Airbag Warning Light
    Resolve: Fuse Replaced

Problem: Slipping Clutch
    Resolve: New Clutch

Resolve: Injector Heads Replaced

Problem: Air Conditioning Not Working
    Resolve: GAS Refilled

Problem: Passenger Headlight Blown
    Resolve: Water Dammage, Headlight Replaced

Problem: CD Changer Jammed
    Resolve: Reapired by Blaupunkt

Problem: Head Gasket Blown
    Resolve: Skimmed

Problem: Break Fluid Warning Light
    Resolve: New Container Fitted and Filled

Problem: Radiator Can Always On
    Resolve: Temp Sensor Fault, Replaced

Problem: Keycode Light
    Resolve: New Key Issued

Problem: Rev. Counter and Speed Clocks Blown
    Resolve: Replaced Dash Clocks

Problem: Power Steering Disabled
    Resolve: Torque Sensor Fault, Replaced

Problem: Exhaust Fell Off
    Resolve: New Exhaust Fitted

Resolve: Sensor Fault

Problem: Central Locking Not Working
    Resolve: New Laserline Alarm Fitted

Problem: Fuel Injection
    Resolve: Sensor Fault

Problem: Heating and Air Condition Not Working
    Resolve: Yet to be Sorted

Problem: Engine Fire..... Yes like smoke and everything!!
    Resolve: Yet to be Sorted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

WTF were you doing to the poor thing :p

But seriously why do you still have THIS car if it was bought from new after the first 3/4 major faults you should have DEMANDED a replacement car not a repair.

I suggest contacting FIAT Ireland regarding its history and how they plan on resolving the issue and that you may never but a FIAT again etc....

In other words its long overdue. It being Kicking Up A Fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

my mates stilo broke down so much, he had to sue Fiat Ireland to get his money back on the car. it took along time to get his money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Well, what did you expect? It's a Fiat.

Is it a Stilo by a mater of interest? I've heard they are one of the worst Fiat models in the current line-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Max_Damage wrote:
    Well, what did you expect? It's a Fiat.

Is it a Stilo by a mater of interest? I've heard they are one of the worst Fiat models in the current line-up.

Stilos are terrible, thats what my mate had. It broke down 12 times in 5 months, and they refused to repalce it or give his money back so he got his solicitor on to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

Nope its a 02 Punto Sporting, Funny enought about a month ago i had a courtesy car which was a fiat stilo. Had it one day and the starting motor in the courtesy car decided to stop working lol Typical!!!

Off the record, my brothers mate works for FIAT Ireland in Fleet Sales and told me to stay away from stilos at all costs until the new model is released.

Two other things, the garage i got this car from is not some down the lane job its a proper massive dealership that ALOT of Fiats are bought from.

As for my driving, I drive one lap of the M50 a day just to pick up my compnay car and then get me home again. Then on weekends i drive the 45min journey to Dundalk and back. Thats it, NO hard driving, NO rallying, NO speeding, NO wheelspinning, NO speed ramps..... noting!

In contrast my company car is a VW Bora, its 2004 and been serviced twice and STILL havnt had as much as one problem with it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Were you not told repeatedly on here to get rid of that car when the gearbox issue came to light?:rolleyes:

Hey Dilbert.... how do ya even remember that? Did i leave such a mark lol
    Eh i know but that got sorted and they trew in loadsa free tax and stuff for me so i kinda kept it.

Until this little matter crept up on me lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 markirish22

any chance of showing some pics of the engine too see how bad it is?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

NO hard driving, NO rallying, NO speeding, NO wheelspinning, NO speed ramps..... noting!
    Thats awful. Not only did the car keep letting you down but you never had a bit of fun in it?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yeah I think I remember your previous post. You bought the second hand Punto sporting but it came with a 5-speed instead of the standard 6-speed, didn't it? And then you crashed it, making it difficult for you to demand your money back?

Sorry you've had such an awful experience. What's your strategy going forward in dealing with the garage? Did you ever seriously consider legal action?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Not just FIATs - friend of mine handed back the keys to an 2005 Aston Martin Vanquish after similar 'issues'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭colincarnate

i have a 98 punto bought second hand, i drive to across the city alot and down to waterford and cork frequently enough and have never had a bother with it...
    My brother and neighbour have had similar things like the above to their golfs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Ya, I know someone who's having similar problems with a Yaris. to be honest, when a dog of a car enters your ownership, said dog should be sold before you have to fork out lots of money!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I have a Multipla, a Punto and four Cinq Sportings and none of them have ever given any trouble, certainly nothing I couldn't fix with a second hand part or cheap alternative from these guys (www.shop4parts.co.uk ). Sorry to hear you have had such grief, maybe it was getting you back for scraping it off the gatepost as soon as you got it? ;)

I agree with what several people have said - as soon as a car starts to give problems like this, get rid of it and start again.

'cptr

Out of curiousity, were you keeping an eye on coolant levels before the engine went up in smoke?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I've had my Stilo ('02 used) for four months now and not had a single problem with it! In fact, it's been a pleasure to drive although the 1.2 engine is puny for a car that size.

That said, it does the job I want it to and easily travels along at 80-90 mph on the A14 without any complaint.

ALL makes of car get at least a few duds off the produciton line, if you get one, try to get it replaced ASAP. A friend of mine had a VW polo a few years ago and had massive problems with it, gearbox, engine on fire, electrics failing mid-drive...

On another note, I think it's strange that FIAT are replacing the Stilo with the Bravo name, seeing as how the Stilo was supposed to replace the Bravo/Brava name in the first place.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

My sympathies.

In fairness though you were advised to get rid of it. Many times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

Most of those problems should buff out. It's just character, those gosh diddly darn Italians are famous for it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

lol . first time i've ever heard of an engine fire being described as character . LMFAO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Mate had a new Fiat Doblo van with all of 12 Km on it when it went on fire *

Of 7 brand new delivered to his workplace 3 have had breakdowns already.

(* Starter seemingly stayed on and burnt out it and associated wiring)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

In your case, I would have got at least an opinion from a good mechanic as to what they figure the fire could be caused by before you gave it back. Me, I'm cynical and untrusting when it comes to large corporations, especially in the motor trade. A mate bought a truck a few years back and it too had the stuck starting motor which burnt it out, it was only a couple of months old. It took about 4 years for a settlement. With your luck you should be on first name terms with an auto engineer and a solicitor by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Why do you not use the company car for all your driving? Why do you have a seperate car? Just wondering.

Sadly it seems you bought a lemon and they are a nightmare. Are you paying for all this work yourself or have you still a warranty?

Okay guys,

Head Gasket is the cause, apparently it blew. Somehow sparking an existing oil leak and hence causing the smoke and small fire.

So the garage took appart the engine yesterday and apparently it survived unhurt. The plan of action now from the gaage is to skim the gasket and replace any dammaged parts.

In the mean time back to a courtesy car it is!
    Also, When the time does come that the car is ready for collection an AA guy is coming with my to give the car a good going over. I'm started legal mombo-jombo to get an extended warrenty and AA membership.

Roll on March Trade in!!!!!!!

PS. Yea all the work is under warrenty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Demmo

People seem to think that Fiat have the worst cars on the road, they don't. How come they're one of the best sellers across Europe since the Punto came out in 1994. And the Uno has sold millions before it. You can't argue with volume sold, and top ten sales over a number of years. I'd guarantee you that there are other manufacturers out there that are a whole lot worse.

Fair enough some people get a car that gives a bit of trouble, these things happen.
    Alot of time its down to the people that are repairing them. Reckon you should change that first.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Demmo wrote:
    How come they're one of the best sellers across Europe since the Punto came out in 1994.

Because the general motoring public can't tell the difference between sh*te and shineola. FIAT buying motives aren't quality, or reliability, it's down to price and monthly payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

ned78 wrote:
    Because the general motoring public can't tell the difference between sh*te and shineola. FIAT buying motives aren't quality, or reliability, it's down to price and monthly payments.
    I don't agree...and not just because I own a Fiat :D If all Fiat cars were truly as terrible as some people on boards.ie like to make out then nobody would buy them.

Think about it, if a car is cheap but you know that you are going to be spending thousands on repairs every year then you're not going to buy that car now are you?

If all Fiat cars were that bad then everyone would know about it and Fiat sales would be far lower than they are now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

I don't see many new FIATs on the road......

ned78 wrote:

I don't agree. They have alot of things going for them.

They are one of the most economical small cars around.

Puntos are pretty much the cheapest car on the road to insure.

They one of the cheapest cars to repair when they do breakdown (bulk discount on repairs lol)

They are cheap as chips buy second hand too.

That is a pretty good package if you are in the market for a budget small car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

ronoc wrote:
    I don't agree. They have alot of things going for them.
    They are one of the most economical small cars around.
    Puntos are pretty much the cheapest car on the road to insure.
    They one of the cheapest cars to repair when they do breakdown (bulk discount on repairs lol)
    They are cheap as chips buy second hand too.
    That is a pretty good package if you are in the market for a budget small car.

You don't agree ... I state that FIAT's buying motives are price and monthly payments, and by not agreeing, you argue that they're cheap, cheap to insure, bulk discount on repairs, and cheap as chips to buy second hand?

• Advertisement

ned78 wrote:
    You don't agree ... I state that FIAT's buying motives are price and monthly payments, and by not agreeing, you argue that they're cheap, cheap to insure, bulk discount on repairs, and cheap as chips to buy second hand?

You missed out cheap to run.
    I think for the money in most cases they are getting a very good quality package.
    Expensive is not the same as quality. Nor does cheapness Imply lack of quality.

Advertisement