Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Test Tips

Options
  • 28-01-2007 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Let's try and start a thread of tips on how NOT to fail the driving test for those of us taking it soon... (I have it on the 22nd myself. I applied in May and somehow got in before a friend of mine who applied in March!)

Any takers?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

don't crash!
    don't knock anyone down.
    make sure the car is NCT'd, insured, taxed.
    make sure that all lights work ok
    make sure you know the answers to all possible questions
    make sure you know how to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

wow it took you almost a year
    im 17 on thursday and intend to apply straight away but was hoping to have my test done by the summer
    if ive to wait a year ill go insane

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

1huge1 wrote:
    wow it took you almost a year
    im 17 on thursday and intend to apply straight away but was hoping to have my test done by the summer

Better call the mental hospital so :p Wait times for tests are nearly a year in this country. Check your local test center times at www.drivingtest.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

The two things that I remember from my test are:

The minute the instructor says to do ANYTHING, - look in the mirror to check what is behind you. If he says turn left, quick look in the mirror then signal, etc. if he says slow down, quick look in the mirror then do so, etc.

The other thing is to pull up the handbrake applying pressure on the button so as not to wear the ratchet that holds the hand brake up. in other words apply the brake noiselessly.

Oh and another thing, do not turn the steering wheel with the car stopped.

The first one is the important one but according to the instructor I had the others would give you brownie points. I passed first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

1huge1 wrote:
    Your local asylum - St Joseph's 061 461474 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

One helpful hint is to arrive at the test centre in time and find an "easy" parking space to get out of and REVERSE into it.

This means that when the examiner comes out, checks the car, everything is in order, he gets in the car, tells you what to do, all you have to do is start the car, settle down, calm the nerves and drive straight out of the parking space.

This puts you at ease from the off, which means you are relaxed, which removes some of the nerves.

Similarly, when you return to the test centre after the test, find an easy parking space and drive in frontwards.

Don't leave yourself the opportunity of making a mess of the final thing. Chances are, you have either passed or failed at this point, and the examiner wants to get back and do whatever paperwork is required. Having you do a neat parallel park 6 times to "get it right" is most likely going to do more harm than good.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Baraboo wrote:

Oh and another thing, do not turn the steering wheel with the car stopped.

I've never heard that dry steering is not allowed- I passed my test first go and did it. In certain situations would you rather do a 7- point turn or a 3 point with dry steering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Do not show up for the test as a nervous wreck, be confident while not being cocky.

Easier said than done for most but what I can say is that testers do not like to see nervous driving...makes them even more nervous :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tadhgr

yeah lbh, nervous driving is obvious a mile away, my advice would be, brake in good time so there is no jump or jolt froma sudden braking, and dont forget to indicate!, and ull need two new back tyres!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

make sure ure phone is off even if you have a car kit installed.

make sure you can show the instructor that you can drive - usually when ure out on the open road get the car into 5th gear and not just tipping along in 2nd or 3rd on the hard shoulder - was the one thing my instructor strongly urged. Worked passed my test first time when i was 17

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

OK, I failed my test on Tuesday for the following reasons (as good as any to remember!!)

No speeding: I got out on the open road (dual carraigeway) and didn't cop the speed sign saying 60kmph and was doing 70kmph - automatic fail, so watch for signs and watch your speedo. (yeah, kinda obvious not to speed during your test but it's easy to do when you've a lovely big open road and no other traffic around).

Be extra careful about traffic lights: I had a flashing amber filter to go (proceed with caution), looked to the opposite direction to see if my way was clear and moved out and made the turn. Examiner said that the light changed while I was checking for oncoming traffic and awarded me a serious fault. My instructor reckoned that I should have got the benefit of the doubt - I'd committed to the turn at that point but it wouldn't have made any difference anyway because of the speeding.

So don't do what I did and you'll be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Being nervous is your biggest enemy on the day of your test. Remember, There is no rush to complete manouvres. A 3 point turn can be done in 7 points as long as you show observation and don't hit the kerb. Relax and take a deep breath before you pull out, reverse around the corner etc. it helps you concentrate and you'll remember what your instructor told you to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

One of the things I failed the first time was on observation.

I thought my observation was fine but I was checking the mirrors by just moving my eyes and probably only a slight movement of my head.

On the next test I exaggerated the observation more and made it obvious that I was looking in the mirrors by moving my head and shoulders :rolleyes:.
    It was a little OTT but I passed ;) .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Don't drive too slow. Many have failed because of this.

Dry steering isn't a mistake perse, but it's frawned upon

remember a turn about doesn't have to be done in 3 moves, make sure not to bump your tyres against the pavement.

Take a rest from driving, personally, I didn't drive at all the day before the test, I just stayed home and played counter strike all day.

On the day, go to the test with an "up" attitude, remember they are not your mortal enemies, smile, remember a joke, relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Make sure theres no warning lights lit up on your dash.
    Mate left his battered 15 year old fiesta at home and took his mams new golf to make good impression, some warning light came on, think it was a service light or something, tester refused to take him out in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Even if you bump the curb on the turnabout (the only damn time I ever did it was on my test..partially due to being a gibbering wreck..) don't panic..
    As long as you don't mount the curb you will probably only get a grade one or two at worst (I got a grade one).

If you think you are going to hit the curb on the reverse around the corner it IS ok to stop, explain to the tester that you are getting too close, drive forward, reposition and start again, just make sure you are constantly checking mirrors etc - they are there to see if you are a safe driver, demonstrating that you can see the hazard in advance and taking action to remedy it is always the right thing to do (thankfully I didn't do that on the test..but did on the pretest).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Lpfsox wrote:
    OK, I failed my test on Tuesday for the following reasons (as good as any to remember!!)

No speeding: I got out on the open road (dual carraigeway) and didn't cop the speed sign saying 60kmph and was doing 70kmph - automatic fail, so watch for signs and watch your speedo. (yeah, kinda obvious not to speed during your test but it's easy to do when you've a lovely big open road and no other traffic around).

Be extra careful about traffic lights: I had a flashing amber filter to go (proceed with caution), looked to the opposite direction to see if my way was clear and moved out and made the turn. Examiner said that the light changed while I was checking for oncoming traffic and awarded me a serious fault. My instructor reckoned that I should have got the benefit of the doubt - I'd committed to the turn at that point but it wouldn't have made any difference anyway because of the speeding.

So don't do what I did and you'll be fine :)

SHould of done your test in a yaris, then they wouldnt be able to see the speedometer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

I did my test in nov. my best advice would be to get a few lessons before you do the test and theres a book called "get it" i found it really good.

The main things to remember are

Observation
    Position
    Progress

Good luck too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭blooeyes

i passed my test in Nov first time, took me years to pluck up courage to learn as i was so nervous, but i started my lessons the year before and spent a fortune. i had lessons the week before my test and double lesson on the day, did everything wrong in that lesson!!! but i went to the test with the attitude 'great if i pass, if i fail not end of world' didnt really expect to pass as i messed up my reverse around corner and after test examiner said to keep eye on my braking as we were starting to do nodding dog impressions :D apparantly the fella who passed me is meant to be very strict but i passed, to this day i dont know how but glad i did. Good luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

oh and take your time when reversing around the corner , pausing half way through to check the raods clear etc , accoring to the guy i did my pre-test with he said people make the mistake of reversing too close and too fast to the corner , its not a race it just nees to be done safe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Does tyre thread depth matter?

As in, I know it matters, but do they actually check it?
    If so I gotta get me two new ones..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I don't think they explicitly check it but I doubt they'd fail to notice if the car had two bald tyres. Get yourself a new pair of tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Only did bout 3 lessons before mine but by far the most valuable was the "mock test"
    Instructor sat diagonally in the seat the same way the testers do with a clipboard, only speaking when he was giving me directions. Its incredibly unnerving the first time. Reckon it would be ten times worse with a tester you have never met before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Its natural to be nervous in any exam situation.
    Remember there are bigger tests in life than driving around for 20-30 minutes.
    When the examiner gives you an instruction, eg "pull in on the left" for hill start/turnabout, be aware of where you pull in, that your not parking illegally (white lines, too close to junction etc)
    Before moving off after said manouevres, ALWAYS check your blindspot.
    This is not just for the test, its for life.
    Treat every junction as if it has a yellow box, even when not marked on the road.
    If the examiner asks you to take the next left, and your mind tells you to turn right, and then halfway through you realise he/she said left, then continue with the right turn and acknowledge your error.
    If you're not sure what the examiner has said, ask them to repeat their instruction. They will give you plenty of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

bigkev49 wrote:
    Only did bout 3 lessons before mine but by far the most valuable was the "mock test"
    Instructor sat diagonally in the seat the same way the testers do with a clipboard, only speaking when he was giving me directions. Its incredibly unnerving the first time. Reckon it would be ten times worse with a tester you have never met before.

This great advice, if you're going for lessons make sure the instructor does this for you. I think this is what pushed me from having a borderline chance of passing to a good chance of passing. It made me very comfortable when actually doing the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Don't think it has been mentioned but don't be afraid to use your horn if necessary. I earned big brownie points (I think) in my test due to using my horn. I was approaching a construction worker that was directing a truck out a pretty narrow gate. He was walking backwards onto the road not watching where he was going, and was looking like he would walk onto my side of the road. I dropped gears and slowed, then gave a quick beep on the horn to warn the guy. He turned around, saluted, and I was able to continue. Score!

Another sneaky trick which may or may not work for others, but I found useful is to adjust the passenger side wing mirror to point downwards at a good angle. This gives a better view of the kerb when performing the reverse around a corner.

If the weather is bad and damp, leave the rear heated window on, open the passenger and driver windows a fraction and have hot air on and the fan spinning on a low speed. This helps to make sure the windows don't fog up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

I've got my test on Monday morning and I'm starting to get really nervous. I hate people staring at me, so in all likelyhood I'll get really self conscious and completely forget everything about driving I was taught and go blank.

I was given a list of questions that I may be asked but I cannot find the answers to them in the rules of the road book - which doesn't make sense, can someone who actually knows the answers help please.

1. What is the National Speed Limit?
    2. What would you look out for on country roads?
    3. What do the following colours on traffic lights mean: flashing amber (proceed with caution?), flashing red?
    4. What does a red triangle indicate?
    5 What is the legal parking distance from the kerb?
    6. What is the safe distance to travel behind a vehicle? ( 2 seconds but what is the distance?)

Mock test tomorrow afternoon so I'll go over some of these with the instructor, but I still think I'm gonna blank :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

S.I.G.S

Shoulder
    Indicate
    Gear
    Shoulder

at any point you are taking off:

check over your shoulders to check blind spot
    indicate
    put car into gear
    quick glance over shoulder to double check

make sure you do thsi when leaving the test centre, before and after your turnabout and before and after your reverse around the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

1. 100km/hr for standard roads. 120km/hr for motorways. 80km/hr for buses and trucks
    2. Fallen trees. Animals. Not sure what else.
    3. You'd see flashing amber at a pedestrian crossing. It means go if there's noone looking to cross. Don't know about flashing red.
    4. That a vehicle has broken down ahead.
    5. 50cm
    6. 10 metres for every 20km/hr you're travelling. Double it if the conditions are wet. (It should be enough just to give the examiner the 2 second rule)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Passed mine yesterday!!:cool: (second attempt)

Main things as far as im concerned were, RELAX! I know its easier said then done but it makes the world of differnce when you first start out the test not to be all fidgity and shakey! Also check youre rear view every 30 seconds or so, just to show your being aware of whats going on around you. Only thing i was marked down on was, reving the car to high when starting off. (was my instructors car not mine) So make sure you get used to the clutch of whatever car you're doing you're test in!

:cool:

Advertisement