Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather conditions blamed for airline delay

Options
  • 28-01-2007 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

Could I get some views from the weather forum.

My wife's flight yesterday (EI327 - 19.20 Salzburg to Dublin) was cancelled due to the inbound Airlingus aircraft being 'unable' to land at Salzburg on the 27th. She is being rerouted home through Munich. Were there any adverse weather conditions affecting flights yesterday? Aer Lingus seemed to be the only carrier that cancelled flights on the 27th.

I believe that Aer Lingus are denying passengers compensation under EU Directive 261/2004 by claiming weather conditions and not operations were responsible. Talking about €250 compensation here.

I managed to find the historical weather conditions at Salzburg - this does not look like adverse conditions to me.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/LOWW/2007/1/27/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

Any comments? - looks like BS from Aer Lingus to me. Thanks.

Comments

It does seem to have been windy there.
    I'd imagine an EI plane could land in a 47mph gust though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Inbound flight was due to land at 19.10.

Weather conditions were;

31 °F / -1 °C 28 °F / -2 °C 84% 30.17 in / 1022 hPa 16 miles / 25 kilometers NNW 17.9 mph / 28.8 km/h / - - Snow Light Snow Showers

Doesn't look too dodgy to me - visibility of 16 miles!! Light winds.

Reckon this is a crock of s**t to dodge the compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Bah! - just spoke to Austrian Air Traffic Control - apparently the circling area was closed yesterday - it's not unusual to divert to Munich....

Leg to stand on - swept away. :mad:

Advertisement