Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inspiron 6400 locks up when USB key is inserted

• 28-01-2007 4:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

Just the other day I got myself a USB memory key but when I put it into the USB port, my system would crash. I've gone done all I can think of to find it but nothing is working. The problem is only with USB memory keys, my all in one printer works just fine from the USB port.

Can any body help me with this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Have you another machine that you can try the USB memory key? Is it just one of those Dell ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

I've tried other USB memory keys with the Dell and the same thing keeps happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

any more info? does the PC freeze or do you get an error/blue screen? Does it work again when you unplug the key?
    Try it in safe mode, the key should work there.
    To rule out a hardware problem get a linux boot cd like knoppix or Ubuntu. If it locks up running that with a usb key then the problem is hardware... even though its working for other stuff.
    I doubt its hardware though but you can never be too careful.

The PC just freeze's can't turn caps lock on etc. When I take it out it still frozen. I'll try it in safe mode then with the Live CD. Thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've seen problems like that with USB before and only fixed them by reinstalling the OS. Thats not to say your problem is the same. The Live CD is good idea.

• Advertisement

I've tried it in safe mode and the same thing happned!

Just tried it with the Live CD and it worked (yet another reason to install Linux :p). So it looks like a reinstall...again :( hmm surely there is some other way!

any help...any one!

Advertisement