Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I Need a New Phone - with QWERTY.

• 28-01-2007 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Here's the craic, I'll try and be short (unlikely:p ). I send roughly 100-150+ texts a day, almost every day, all on a Nokia 6233. The keypad is superb, I can text relatively quickly even with gloves on. My problem is the software, custom dictionary words are few and uneditable, and putting in smlieys or symbols is hassle (holding the * key takes a fraction of a second too long). Both these problems grow in severity with the amount of texting I would do.

Sony Ericsson phones have much better software, and better t9 IMO. Problems being, having to fully delete my inbox and outbox twice a day is cumbersome. The k800i would have sorted that, but the keypad is not nearly as nice as the 6233. My hand would start to ache, same as with the k750, which I had for a good number of months.

Now to the point, I would like something with a QWERTY keypad. I do not need media functions - for that I have an 8gb mp3 player and a Canon Ixus60 camera.:) I have been looking at the Nokia e70, e61, HTC TyTN, and SE M600i.
    I have read numerous reviews, but I'd like opinions from you lot :) Built in WiFi would be very handy, the battery life on both Nokia's and the SE is very good.
    There's loads floating around my head, but I'll shut up for now and pass it to you guys. Comments, suggestions, all welcome :)

[Edit]Must add, I'm on Meteor Bill Pay, so I would like to get a sim free phone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Well, I love my e61. Nokia released an 'sms enhancer' for it that made it even speedier. Since 3 brought in 3 Like Home, I can now use it while in Dublin. Speed is fine for me, once you get used to the keyboard.

Nevertheless I send most of my SMS from the 'Big Three' websites or using this brilliant SMS Widget for Mac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

This SMS Enhancer could be what I've read was missing from the e61. Not t9 exactly, but something that would give word suggestions to save you from typing out the entire word. My only problem with the e61 is size, I always wear jeans, or pants with a belt, so a belt case isn't a problem, but it's still mighty big.

I'm currently reading some bad consumer reviews of the e70, when that had been the one I was leaning towards. If the e61 predictive text is sorted, that could be an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

The E70 is excellent, but alas not available here yet, even though it has been out for ages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

The enhancer just corrected sensitivity and generally speeded things up; there is no T9 on board.

culabula wrote:
    The enhancer just corrected sensitivity and generally speeded things up; there is no T9 on board.

It would be kind of silly to have T9 on a full QWERTY keyboard. :D

• Advertisement

The E70 is excellent, but alas not available here yet, even though it has been out for ages!

Excellent from experience? I've read numerous consumer reviews over the last hour saying WiFi is flaky, the buttons are mapped incorrectly, and generally it's shoddy. I would love to hear otherwise, as it was the one I was leaning towards with it's smaller form and built in WiFi
    culabula wrote:

Ah... damn. It might just be off the list, as it's really wide.

A colleague of mine has one, and it's fantastic. Great coverage, Symbian OS, the wifi works extremely well, and VoIP on it over wifi is flawless. The keyboard is good as well, let's you type very quickly.

Perhaps the reports you read were about early firmware when it first came out? I ask because this seems to be a common Nokia issue: when they first release phones, the firmware is typically flakey, and it takes some time for new firmware that addresses the issues to be released. That's clearly not an issue with the N70 anymore, as it's a proven device at this stage.

The only thing I don't like about it is the design, which seems a bit "old fashioned", as seems to be the case with almost all Nokia phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

'nother recommendation for E61. Its not that big. Its also very slim.
    Best Nokia I have used in a long time.
    Wifi and voiover wifi is flawless as others have pointed out.

Ah I know t9 would be redundant with a full QWERTY keypad, but with say a "partial" t9, you would type out "desc" and it would give you the option to complete the word "describe", that would be four less key presses. Anyway, that's just being picky on my part I think. I've spent the last few days looking for reviews.

No one has experience with the HTC TyTN or SE M600i? The TyTN is only on the cards because GSMArena's gift review rated it highly as one of the better text focused phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

if cost is not an issue I saw those new o2 XDA's have flipout keyboards, can be bought simfree and unlocked on ebay.

PDAs are quite fragile though and youll probably break the screen if its always in your pocket. Btw if your sending that many texts a day, AFT might be worth looking into, http://aft.donutsoft.net

• Advertisement

donutface wrote:
    ...Btw if your sending that many texts a day, AFT might be worth looking into, http://aft.donutsoft.net

I've looked into AFT, and I'll be setting it up for the when I text non meteor phones. Most of my friends/contacts are meteor though, so AFT isn't particularly needed. :)

An example of this "Predictive" text is in the SE M600i which I'm still considering.
    In any text entry mode you have the option of the QWERTY keyboard or the JotPro handwriting recognition from UIQ 2.x Sony Ericsson devices. There is now also the addition of predictive text and after typing the fist two letters various alternatives are provided at the top of the screen which can be accepted by tapping the relevant word or by using the arrow keys to highlight the desired word and then using the return key to accept it. If the word you want is highlighted initially a simple tap on the screen or Return accepts it.

37585.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 some1ulove

If your still looking for which phone to get, go for the M600i. From what i understand your looking for, this phone will suit your needs :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭lfc1892

why not buy a Blackberry? It does all the things you say and the new 8800 "Mother of Pearl" will be out soon.

Full QWERTY keyboard AND Suretype (a predictive software)

some1ulove wrote:
    If your still looking for which phone to get, go for the M600i. From what i understand your looking for, this phone will suit your needs :-)

That's the one I've been leaning heavily towards, I'm gonna leave it a few months though, got a new PC to build, and that has higher priority.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

while i have'nt used one, teh demo model feels lovely, much nicer tahn teh w950, which has hideous buttons for texting

Tree wrote:
    while i have'nt used one, teh demo model feels lovely, much nicer tahn teh w950, which has hideous buttons for texting

Where did you get your hands on one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

the xda mini is a perfect phone for everything you need.its got the keypad and also doesnt look that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Zwartsj

i have the XDA mini and can recomend it
    dead easy to use and fits in a jeans pocket no problem
    and if you dont bit your nails you dont even need the stylus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

I have a SonyEricsson P990i and a HTC Tytn. I don't text too often but I would say neither is brilliant for it. I used to use a Blackberry 7100V and it was great for text but I didn't particularly like it for much else.
    I have two 7100V's here gathering dust and you are welcome to make me an offer on one if you like.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

went into the phone shops in amsterdam wehn i was there a few weeks back. my current plan is to play with a w950 when 3 get them in store in teh coming weeks and decide if i like the touchscreen and os, and if i do, ill get teh m600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I would recommend the xda mini, lovely qwerty keyboard, wifi, bluetooth, gsm, gprs, camera, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

fwiw lads the xda mini-s is the one with the slider keyboard. this is the one that o2 seem to do in ireland now.

the xda mini on the other hand doesn't have a slider keyboard. i haven't seen this device in o2 stores though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nobby2k1

Bought a Palm Treo 650 a few months back...didn't really need it but an offer came into work and got it Sim Free for a really nice price so couldn't resist...
    I'd just upgraded my O2 (Nokia) to a SE K750i (love it!) BUT I much prefer SMS with the Treo...full QWERTY layout and SMS view as Chats so pretty handy not having to go to Sent folder to see what I said in last SMS :)

Ah so many decisions! Still thinking about the w600, SE seems to be releasing an upgraded version with a cam/wifi, but the same formfactor. Will have to wait and see. PC is adding up in price as the days go by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

get an i-mate Jasjar / Qtek 9000 / XDA ExEc full qwerty keyboard, all the symbols, its great nice big 3.6" VGA 640x480 screen too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

if they are...i up for one..camera/wifi is the only thing that didnt make me buy one!

i second a treo 650..what a device,getting on a bit but its still good buy.especially you get one for nothing on ebay!

Advertisement