Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cpu processing power, or gpu processing power?

• 28-01-2007 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

i have narrowed my laptop choice down to two:

the apple macbook, 2ghz core 2 duo, with intel Intel GMA 950 or the Sony VAIO C1Z/B , with a NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 TurboCache supporting 256MB, but only has 1.66 core 2 duo cpu. also, the sony memory only works at 533mhz, where as the macbook runs at 667. which technically would be better, considering i wont be doing any crazy gaming.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

i would go up with the sony 1,simply for the core 2 duo processer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'd go for the macbook to be honest.

tell us what kind of games you'd like to play.

the macbook would be the better i think. those turbocache cards use systems ram as graphics ram not really a great idea unless the sony has a lot of ram which judging by sony name they tend not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

well i dont play games on the laptop much. its for work ( developing with sql server and visual studio), dvd's, music, web, and the like. if i wanted a games machine id buy an xbox or something. however i dont want it lacking that it can do nothing graphics wise. im wondering will the fact that the sony has only a 533mhz bus speed, compared to the 667mhz of the macbook, slow down the sony much. for the money ( about 1700 euros) the macbook has a 2ghz core 2 duo, 2gb ram 667mhz, and the intel graphics. i have a copy of windows vista winging its way to me so that will go straight onto the a seperate partition if i get mac. the sony is 1.66ghz core 2 duo, only 1gb of 533 mhz ram. but it has a 256 mb nvidia card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Doesn't really matter how much games you play, exactly which games would be more important. If its poker then it doesn't matter. But it its the latest 3D games then you'll need a good GPU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

i dont really play big 3D games. i have had a laptop for 4 years, and i did like playing things like max payne and halo, and my old laptop has a 64mb nvidia graphics card. maby the Asus V1Jp would be a better all round choice

• Advertisement
Advertisement