Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

guys.. can a girl be TOO thoughtful... valentines day...

Options
  • 28-01-2007 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've been going out with my boyfriend for just over 4 months. We're both students and both around 20 yrs old. I've never been going out with someone for valentines day+ want to do something nice for him. I bought a dvd box set for him of a series he likes (had to buy it from online as you cant get it in ireland). + then I saw 2 other really cool rare things on ebay+ ended up buying them too. Do you think it would freak him out, as I spent around 80 euros.. I don't mind at all... I'd love to give him the few things.. as I think he'd really like them.. but I asked a friend, who said that if she got that much from a guy on valentines day.. she'd be a bit scared as it could be too much.
    So guys... I was just wondering, if it looked like a girl put too much thought into a gift or something.. if ye'd been going out 4/5 months.. would ye be a bit freaked out? (I know it depends on the person etc... bt I was just looking for opinions). Sorry.. as this isn't exactly a serious problem...

(ps.. a guy broke up with me once, as I was way too thoughtful+ he felt totally 'out done'.. ie: i was too nice... I don't want that to happen again)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

It totally depends on your relationship and the other guy. I hate to say it but everyone's different. It wouldnt freak me out if you did that for me even after 4 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

He probably won't freak out but I don' think you don't need to go out and buy a heap of expensive stuff for him imo. Everyone is different as mentioned though. Do something special together for the day if you want to. Valentines day is a load of tosh anyway imo, more money making racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Why don't you save some of it for his birthday and/or Christmas present? But then again I don't go in for International Hallmark Day at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Agree with daiixi.

Hang on to some of it for his birthday. If he can't get the box set in Ireland, chances are you won't have to worry about him getting it in the meantime.

Valentines, to me, is a card and maybe going for dinner or a drink. It's an excuse to actually make time with the other half and do something nice together, be it a romantic dinner or a night in with a dvd.

You don't need to spend €80 for a "holiday" like Valentines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'Thanks for the replies everyone :)
    As long as the fella spends more its perfectly okay.
    Do you see him spending over 80 notes on you for valentines day?
    Personally, If my gf gave me something on an any occassion, that was worth more than what i had spent on her i'd be like a dog.

Yeah.. I totally agree with that.. about it being annoying for a guy if their gf spends/ does more more than him for any occassion... interesting to hear a guys view on it... thanks.

Cool. I think I won't give the dvd box set till his birthday so, no matter what happens. He's really cool, so just in case we broke up or something, I'd still give it to him.'

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

As long as the fella spends more its perfectly okay.

Huh? Utter tosh imo.

Anyway, €80 is a little excessive I think> something similar happened to me one time and I was a little freaked. But I'm not your BF, so maybe he'll be thrilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from PI.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Why not just hang on to one of the things as an 'I saw this and wanted to get it for you cos I like you' on a random tuesday present?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Julez

If it was my gf I wouldn't be freaked out, the only thing for me is I'd feel pretty bad if I spent like €20 and they my gf went and spent €80. If you get what I mean!

• Advertisement
Advertisement