Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a low power stable system. What CPU?

Options
  • 28-01-2007 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of building a building a server for my home network. Not sure on specifics yet, but the Idea is to use it as a router/gateway/firewall/AP as the Eircom one is crap.

I could go out and just buy a better router, but this is also a learning project of mine to get a better grip on Linux. It will be a LFS (Linux From Scratch) build.

To save cost, and increase stability, it's going to be as barebones as you can get. Plan is to use old parts aswell that I have lying around.

Question is, what is a good CPU for this. Characteristics I need are, low power, low heat (ie doesnt need an aircraft engine of a fan to keep cool). Speed isn't too important at all, I'm thinking of using an old P2 450mhz I have lying around. But if something ran with less power and cooler I would choose that.

Any other suggestions on hardware / software would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

AMD Sempron's might be worth a look.

Low power
    Low heat
    Can use very quiet cooling systems
    Decent performance - though that might be overkill for your needs.

Motherboards & RAM are easily available & cheap.

Advertisement