Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on this upgrade

Options
  • 28-01-2007 5:51pm
    Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

Thinking of upgrading to a C2D machine on a budget...

Keeping my Enemrax Liberty 500watt, X1800XT 512mb, raptor and other hdds and drives. Just looking for a mobo, cpu and ram

C2D E4300
    MSI P965 Platinium
    Team Elite 2gig kit 800mhz 5-5-5-15

Ewwwww MSI! i hear you say :P But it got great reviews, and i dont need a beast of a board to overclock an E4300, Any suggestions? The ram timings seem a bit high, but its a great price here

Also, Im looking for a quiet CPU cooler...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

timings for c2d are not mena be very important.
    there are new asus boards out and seem to be cheap maby you could look at thme.

the new nivida 650i are mena be great so have alook at reviews on them.

maby this http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-221-AS seems nice and is sli to :)

you could also wait a few week because intel are rerelasing the e300 and e400 with 4mb of chach on each core and they will be cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

For cooling the Scythe Ninja is probably worth checking out assuming your going to be overclocking you can attach a bigger fan or Zalmans 9xxx line of coolers & the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro.

Check beforehand that big coolers like the Scythe or Zalman model are compatible with your intended motherboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

I was going to buy the msi board but it has no clock multiplier so i went for the ds3. I will be getting either the 4300 or 6320 in march. Havent got the board yet but when i do i will get back to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yeah the 650i's are tremendous overclockers, I would go for one of them

have alook at the tuqi tower too its abit exp tho but worth it i had 1.5v on and i was idealing on 22c

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Can you recommend a particular board? I dont really care about the multiplier adjustment, because I didnt intend on dropping it :)

Anyone think its worth waiting for the E6320? any idea what price it will be?

Im going to poke my DFI with a stick for another while until I can use 2 sticks of ram :rolleyes:

the asus board i lunked look it up on extreamsystems.

e6320 i would say the price will go down like 10 quite or waht.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

Conz i have a 2 x 256 twin moss set you can have if you want to try it on your board.

Thanks for the links Awhir, and Tony that would be fantastic if you could send me that ram, ill pm you :)

• Advertisement

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17668494

good stuf on here oh i so what to upgrade but i woNT.

Hmmmm, Looks like an awesome board, overclockers.co.uk dont have it yet....

I think i will wait another 2 or 3 weeks, I want to build up a bit more cash, cause I dont want to skimp on anything, and im thinking of buying a Tuniq tower, which will put a big dent in the budget, I might go for a Freezer 7 pro and an Accelero X2 for the X1800XT, because the VF700 is a noisey fecker @ 12volts...

Still undecided on ram, I cant find any reviews on the Team elite stuff....

which the asus or abit??

The Asus...

It seems to have vdroop problems though...

And would anyone like to explain how dividers work on C2D systems? Can you choose to run the ram at stock speeds while overclocking the fsb?

Hold the door, OcUk have the Asus P5N-E SLi stocked for 124 euro!

yep lol my first post had it.

The Plan:
    newrigjan07eo8.jpg

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Get the tuniq :)

Do the right thing.

:) is it really that much better?

http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/memory/other/patriot/DDR2/5300/index.shtml

Good reviews on the Patriot PC2-5300 Overclocks well €296 at MemoryC ONLY
    €196.79 on e-Bay

http://search.ebay.ie/_W0QQsassZlaisu2004QQhtZ-1

You will need to add a chipset fan or heatsink to the mobo.

• Advertisement

Thanks Tony, Did you get a chance to send the ram? I tested my ram today and it seems it has a few errors :( So I will try and get an RMA with crucial, hopefully my ram is the problem and not the mobo or cpu, If everything works out, I can hold off on the C2D upgrade for another few weeks, until the intel price drop anyway....

Posted the ram yesterday you should have it by tomorrow at the latest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Got the ds3 and zalman 9700 today

The board is a smaller than my old one 3cm thinner and makes it very awkward to put the front panel jumpers in with the location of the psu in the p180 ill tell u more when i have it up and running

Advertisement