Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Price is Right... Mecedes 220 CE 92 Black

Options
  • 28-01-2007 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭

Hiyas,

I'm finally making a move up the motor ladder and i'm considering purchasing this from my next door neighbour (who is a professional mechanic).

She has 107,000 miles/KM (wil have to double check which one) and she is in beautiful condition, interior and external.

The price i've been offered is 6k with a trade in for my current car a Toyota Starlet 98 with approx. 80,000 Miles on her.

There is some minor body damage and it's in need of a service... it's a 1.3 red two door. apart from some minor body damage she is in great condition, still very tight.

So 6k with the Starlet how does this price fair in the eyes of the more experienced motor forum posters?

Any replies are greatly apreciated.

Thanks,

Samba

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The W124 coupe has a bit of a following and commands fairly high prices ...still ...sounds a bit high to me.

Different story, if the Merc has all the bells an whistles i.e. leather, 4 elec windows, sunroof or AC ...etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

sounds ok to me, as you said your starlet and it needs a small tidy, sounds very reasonable to me, the merc sounds ok, the owner is a mecanic.

go for it just do your homework on insurance and tax.

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Bit steep. Sell the Starlet privately and go to the guy with cash, see what he'll do it for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

It has all the whistles and she is in fantastic condition... he took very good care of the car and is quite the fanatic of the Mercedes range.

Insurance and Tax for a year is going to set me back about 1400.

So the general consensus is that this is a little expensive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Mike

I see your list and raise you with this:

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=568532

So the general consensus is that this is a little expensive?

Hard to say without having seen it ...having all the b&w's sure makes the deal look better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mmmmmm! :) If I was willing to spend more than twopenny-halfpenny on a car I'd go for that one. :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The fact that it's your next door neighbour gives a certain bit of security as it's unlikely to be a turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Forget those pointing towards (possible) better deals on carzone. The fact that you know (& obviously trust) the vendor, the fact that he is a mechanic, a Merc fan and that the car has all the bells-and-whistles - sounds like a perfect buy to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

does that car on show on carzone have hubcaps?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep, this is Ireland! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sounds like an ok deal to me under the circumstances. The CE will depreciate very little provided you keep it in order

Not bad going from the lowest common denominator tinbox to a classic Merc Coupe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I'd say its there or there abouts pricewise. Is there much history ??

I assume its automatic ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

unkel wrote:
    Sounds like an ok deal to me under the circumstances. The CE will depreciate very little provided you keep it in order

Not bad going from the lowest common denominator tinbox to a classic Merc Coupe :D

Hehe...i've done my time in the tin box it's time for somthing with a little more power :). I recently moved out just past Blessington and I fear the poor little starlet might just explode one day.

Having said that i've actually owned two an 88 that had 140,000 miles and currently the 98, what a first time car it was, never had a spot of trouble and I would highly reccomend a starlet for anyone looking for their first time car.

Yes it's automatic, i recieved a PM from another boardster offering details of a sale for 5k...

However as has been stated, yes he is my neighbour and family friend and if there ever was a problem he would be out to me in a flash, which is a huge pro.

I can purchase this car with my mind firmly at ease, that kind of comfort I feel may just be worth paying for.

Im going to try and negotiate on the price...i'll post up pics once/if she's in my name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

bear in mind that while he might be out to you in a flash the parts might still cost you a fortune. The car is 15 years old.... probably at the tipping point when things are starting to go wrong and need replacing, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Perhaps not...

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/SaveonaCar/KeepYourOldClunkerOrBuyANewCar.aspx

Good article on changing your car. I ahve to say, I drive them til they drop, generally. It's cheaper, kinder to the environment etc etc.

Advertisement