Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of date food, half eaten :P

Options
  • 28-01-2007 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a packet of food last night and it had individually wrapped items that I have actually seen sold seperately before, anyway, I eat more than half the contents of what I bought before I realised what I had eaten and what was left over, was all out of date since September last year.

So since I don't have the original purchase, what's the story with legal rights if I want to return 2 of the 8 packets, without a receipt does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

cormie wrote:
    I bought a packet of food last night and it had individually wrapped items that I have actually seen sold seperately before, anyway, I eat more than half the contents of what I bought before I realised what I had eaten and what was left over, was all out of date since September last year.

So since I don't have the original purchase, what's the story with legal rights if I want to return 2 of the 8 packets, without a receipt does anyone know?

Ok..You have no receipt,the content is half gone and you have no packaging...Em throw the food away and get on with your life?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ok..You have no receipt,the content is half gone and you have no packaging...Em throw the food away and get on with your life?

Screw that, eat the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Emm.....how are you feeling right now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

what did you buy anyway

if it was raw fish or pork i wouldn't eat the rest of it if i was you

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'm ok;)

Was more concerned about the legal standings of such a situation rather than what I should do folks:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

'Use by' is more important than 'best before'.

If they were 'use by' September I'd be concerned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

if you aint got a receipt you aint got a leg to staqnd on , the onus of proof of purchase is on you

Well it was best before end of September, but still, that's a few months now.

One of the packs which is usually supposed to taste like honey, tasted like a pet shop! :eek: , that's when I realised they were all out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

well now cormie, if you're eating pet shops on a regular basis you really shouldn't be complaining over some cereal bars or whatever they are..

:p

hehe, it's the best comparison to the taste I can give:)

Anyway, I brought back the 2 I didn't eat and got a whole new in date pack of 8:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

A use by date is the last date something should be used as determined by scientific tests, best before means just that its BEST BEFORE the date. It is still ok beyond then. As for what can you do about it, things do get missed in my shop but I would always apologise to any customer affected and offer a full refund or replacement.

Legally you would need to prove it came from the shop concerned and even then, why bother? What would you be expecting.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

cormie wrote:
    hehe, it's the best comparison to the taste I can give:)

Anyway, I brought back the 2 I didn't eat and got a whole new in date pack of 8:D
    It was a Kellogs Variety Pack wasn't it, am I right? Kudos to the shop for replacing it for you. I guess chancing your arm sometimes pays off.

Haha, congratulations, it was indeed. It was the honey loops (which I thought used to be called honey nut loops?) that tasted like a pet shop! lol

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

was it not a Nestle variety pack? as a major consumer of the Kellogs one don't remember a honey nut in the pack

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement