Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dave McSavage sparks race row

• 28-01-2007 7:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

Dave McSavage is in the Sunday Mirror today, apparently most of the people who paid to see his show walked out - not for the usual reason, because his show is sh*t - when he started spouting racist comments, including calling Big Brother contestant Shilpa Shetty a "paki".

They also go on to say he was arrested last year for selling copies of his DVD on Grafton St without a casual trading licence.

When will this guy realise he is not going to make it as a real comedian?
    He says in retaliation that his act reflects real life - IMO he just appeals to the lowest common denominator.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

She's not a Paki she's an Indian, what a dumbass.

And David McSavage is funny, he just likes scandal though, that's his thing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

He's a despicable idiot. He will be first against the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

He posts or has posted on boards before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

InFront wrote:
    And David McSavage is funny, he just likes scandal though, that's his thing.

I'd love to know what is so funny about him, i've seen his act a few times over the past few years and he recycles so much stuff and seems to rely on insulting people and toilet humour. That is not what I would call a "good comedian".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

He is good seen him in Galway before it was class.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bbbbb

*mono* wrote:
    He is good seen him in Galway before it was class.....

Missing some punctuation, is it:
    He is. good seen him in Galway. before it was class.....
    or
    He is good. seen him in Galway before. it was class.....

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've only seen him on de telly, he comes across as a low-budget Tommy Tiernan to me.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Good, I hope thats the end of his "career". Hes not funny, hes not entertaining, hes just an annoyance that sits out on our streets p1ssing off everyone who has the misfortune of passing him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

D-Generate wrote:
    He posts or has posted on boards before!

Yeah, I think he was LumpBasher. Got himself banned too, if I remember correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

never heard of him but if that's his style of comedy them i am glad not to have seen him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

He has his moments; most of them controversial. He is a bit over the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Yeah, I think he was LumpBasher. Got himself banned too, if I remember correctly.

Yeah that was probably his funniest work, when he was denying he was Dave mcSavage. It was totally obvious it was him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've seen some situations where this guy came very close to getting his head kicked in around Temple Bar.

Pity that.

o1s1n wrote:
    I've seen some situations where this guy came very close to getting his head kicked in around Temple Bar.

Pity that.
    Now that would be comedy.

That I'd pay good money to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Is he the one with glasses and the guitar and comments on passer-byers?.

Master of the Universe

Indeed. Hopefully one of these days a passer by will insert his guitar into one of his many sh1te spewing orifices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

o1s1n wrote:

Pity that.

The one and only time I would applaud such behaviour. :) He is a load of cack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Never heard of the guy until now. How long's he been around?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Not even nearly a comedian in my book - there's no comedy in singing about the hair/clothing etc. of someone walking by - about as witless as "observational humour" can get.

I'd imagine this is him trying to get noticed. Again.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Well I first noticed him in Dublin around 2002. He was a pretty regular sight on the weekend. Haven't seen or heard from him in a long time. Not up until now actually. I thought he had finally realized how rubbish he was and decided to get a proper job. Unfortunately not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Rantorama

Yeah, he's loving this 'controversy', with him being a desperate no talent F**K . It makes sense.

Silverfish wrote:
    That I'd pay good money to see.
    Ditto
    thrill wrote:
    Never heard of the guy until now. How long's he been around?

Unfortunately. Hes been on the streets of Dublin for years now, even did a few gigs in Vicar Street afaik. Who would pay to see that utter crap, I don't know.

I'd actually buy a DVD featuring Dave McSavage, on the sole provision that it was purely footage of him getting the shíte knocked out of him. That would be the one and only time I'd buy a Dave McSavage dvd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm surprised he hasn't had his head kicked in yet... Surely it's only a matter of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Come on Dave, that "G" isn't fooling anyone!!

This guy is Ryan Tubridy's first cousin iirc. Proud grandparents...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

eth0_ wrote:
    Yeah that was probably his funniest work, when he was denying he was Dave mcSavage. It was totally obvious it was him :)

In fairness, if anyone accused you of being Dave McSavage, you'd deny it to. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Isn't McSavage Pat Kenny's favourite comedian?

That says it all...

His daddy was a minister in a previous FF government. Clearly the silver spoon in his mouth when he was born should be shoved up his ar$e.

Someone referred to him as a low rent Tommy Tiernan... Even that's overestimating his talents. I wouldn't even call him a low rent Syl Fox.

He's a low rent human being.

Clearly not enough attention given by his parents when he was growing up, unless he did something bold, so now he's destined to ramble the city, demanding attention from random passers by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He is the son of David Andrews, one of the few decent FF skins. Oh well!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Peter Collins

I wouldn't even call him a low rent Syl Fox.

I know you're angry boy, but don't you ever, EVER speak that way about Syl Fox again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

He's a one trick pony, but he's good at what he does none the less. The way some posters are getting worked up here, you'd swear he slept with their sisters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

2 points
    1) Occasionally he is really funny, even if it's just a song called "Grannywank".
    2) Those of you who say that he has never gotten in trouble, obviously haven't heard what happened in Temple Bar a few years ago........
    He insulted the wrong man.

2 points
    1) Occasionally he is really funny, even if it's just a song called "Grannywank".
    2) Those of you who say that he has never gotten in trouble, obviously haven't heard what happened in Temple Bar a few years ago........
    He insulted the wrong man.

Oh I heard about it in work, I laughed fairly hard, possibly harder than I should have, it was the funniest thing ever connected with him.

Master of the Universe

baztard wrote:
    He's a one trick pony, but he's good at what he does none the less. The way some posters are getting worked up here, you'd swear he slept with their sisters.

Good at what he does? He comments on random people as they pass him by. Hardly something worth building a career on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

Elaborate please :)What happened in temple bar?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Why oh why just once can't there be a headline that reads "Dave McSavage sparks a cigarette lighter and immolates himself to death"?

I wouldn't píss on the guy if he was on fire, hopefully someday he'll give me the chance to prove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

HA!*

I love how 99% of posts on this thread are people who either (a) can't stand him, or (b) have never heard of him. I, unfortunately, belong to the former. The latter are the lucky ones.

Somebody mentioned he's been around since 2002. In all honesty, I think if he had a real talent of some kind, he would have used his flacid dribbling of fame to show it. I don't think he has much more to offer other than the content his street performances.

* The only time I've ever laughed at anything David McSavage related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

A bit of a Michael Richards/Jade Goody about him tbh, desperate for attention etc etc.

I remember him in Temple Bar calling two passing school girls 'closet sluts'. The less attention given to this man, the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

I've always thought he was very very desperate for attention and yeah that's about it. His brother was my history teacher at school and was far funnier than Dave could ever dream to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Saw him in the DCU bar around 2001, it was only time i saw him but thought he was good but i was a bit drunk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

he was there in about 2003 aswell, thought he was alright, bit strange but good stuff.

then i saw him for the second time and thought he needed some new material, he's prob still sayin the same stuff ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Zonko

Entirely off topic, but I really like your username eth0_. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

Was anyone here actually at the show? Neither was I but but before you all get on your high horses, one of the papers did say that his explanation was that some of his material was based on the Celebrity big brother Racism furore and the word Paki was used by him in the form of, "and that racist nobody Jack Tweed called Shilpa a paki....etc"

Dave McSavage didn't call anyone a Paki.

Its like saying that the OP is a racist because he used the word paki in his post about dave mcsavage.

Its like a Garda asking me why I just punched some scumbag, "Because he called my friend here a n.........". and the Garda replying, "I am arresting you for using the n word and being a racist"

This is all assuming that McSavage isn't lying about the context in which he used the word.

According to the papers it wasn't most of the audience either, just 2 or 3 overly PC English people who don't seem to realise that the context in which the word was used defines whether the user is racist or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Calibos wrote:
    Was anyone here actually at the show? Neither was I but but before you all get on your high horses, one of the papers did say that his explanation was that some of his material was based on the Celebrity big brother Racism furore and the word Paki was used by him in the form of, "and that racist nobody Jack Tweed called Shilpa a paki....etc"

Dave McSavage didn't call anyone a Paki.

Its like saying that the OP is a racist because he used the word paki in his post about dave mcsavage.

Its like a Garda asking me why I just punched some scumbag, "Because he called my friend here a n.........". and the Garda replying, "I am arresting you for using the n word and being a racist"

This is all assuming that McSavage isn't lying about the context in which he used the word.

According to the papers it wasn't most of the audience either, just 2 or 3 overly PC English people who don't seem to realise that the context in which the word was used defines whether the user is racist or not.

Good point. I, however, choose to assume he was eating a baby at the time, since no-one has mentioned otherwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

He should go throw himself into a combine harvester,i'd happily buy the dvd and laugh!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

I used to go to the International Comedy Club all the time when Des Bishop was the compare. One night Des couldnt make it so he got Mr McSavage as his stand in. He decided that I was his bitch for the night. Now Ive been the victim of Comedians before and I really dont mind it. Carl Spain picked on me a couple of times during one of his shows but he was a real class act and sought me out after the show to shake my hand and say thanks for being a good sport. But McSavage was a different story he actually seems to get a kick out of it. He gets off on putting down others and I just dont think he is funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Never heard of him before but going on the sh*tieness of his website I can only guess how bad he really is. Google his name, it's too bad even to have a link to in in my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

mike65 wrote:
    I've only seen him on de telly, he comes across as a low-budget Tommy Tiernan to me.

Mike.

tbh Tiernan has always come across to me as somewhat overrated. Not bad, but no legend, and he seems to steal his style from x amount of predecessors.

Ive seen McSavage on the street and he cracked the whole crowd up. Most of those getting abuse deserved it tbh (goths, rockers, obese couples in matching shellsuits etc)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

shane86 wrote:
    tbh Tiernan has always come across to me as somewhat overrated. Not bad, but no legend, and he seems to steal his style from x amount of predecessors.

Ive seen McSavage on the street and he cracked the whole crowd up. Most of those getting abuse deserved it tbh (goths, rockers, obese couples in matching shellsuits etc)

Deserved it did they?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

oh him, I remember seeing him on a Saturday before, slagging people who dared walk across his space. Then I kind of loomed up behind him, to get by, scared the ****e out of him when turned around and saw me :)

All he could comeback with was something along the lines that I could walk anywhere I wanted....really not that funny, just like remembering him doing that little jump of "you-scared-me-so-how-can-make-this-funny-at-your-expense"

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement