Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crackly Sound in Windows

• 28-01-2007 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭

The last few days, I've been experiencing a problem in Windows.
    I start up my computer, the sound is fine, but after a while, anywhere between 15 minutes and 2 hours later, the sound suddenly becomes all crackly and distorted, like sound recordings from the 20s. It doesn't go away until I restart windows.
    I've tried plugging in external speakers, and it's still crackly.
    It's also, not any particular program that's causing this. At first I thought iTunes was the problem, so I used my computer for a while, not using iTunes, and it still happened.
    It's also not MSN messenger, or Skype.
    I'm running windows XP, on a fujitsu siemens laptop.
    If anyone could help me find out what the problem might be, I'd really appreciate it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Could a sound card driver update that perhaps came down the pipe via Windows Update been the cause ?

Check the roll back driver function for the sound card in the device manager and see if there is a previous entry

Install anything software wise recently ?

Sound crackling noises are a very tough one to pin down, maybe it's a heat issue perhaps ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Well, I tried seeing if the sound drivers had changed, and they hadn't.
    I've noticed, it never happens half way through listening to something. Only when I change song, or when there's nothing playing, and I start playing something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

That is unusual well you got nothing to lose by trying updating the driver as that was not the cause in the first place.

Do you know the make of the chip usually it will say in the device manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭coghlac3

I've had the same issue for ages now and can find not obvious cause, and therefore no solution either! Head is wrecked!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

This probably down to another process running in the background using to much resources. Happens to mine some times.

Next time it happens use ctrl + alt + del to see how much of the CPU is being used and then see whats using it. If the process is not inportant kill it and see if it makes a difference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement