Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Faster Transcoding?

• 28-01-2007 8:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭

I'm using Nero to burn DVD's off my laptop at the moment, but transcoding can take up to 3 hours sometimes!

now i've donw it on other laptops with the exact same spec in two or two and a half hours, just wondering is there any way to speed up transcoding when burning a dvd? would a program change help? (i'm using nero 7 premium)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

VinnyL,

Most transcodes of a full movie take between 2 - 2.5 hours.

One thing you should check though is your DMA settings.

The settings on both the Primary & Secondary IDE Chanels should be set to Ultra DMA or DMA, but not to PIO.

Here's how to check yours.

Right click My Computer
    Choose "Manage"
    Click on "Device Manager" (Lefthand window)
    Click on the "Plus sign" beside "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers (Righthand window)
    Right click on Primary IDE Channel & choose "Properties"
    Choose the "Advanced Settings" Tab
    Make sure that both Transfer Modes are set to DMA or Ultra DMA.
    Do exactly the same for the Secondary IDE Channel.

If these are already set to DMA then it is probably one of the following.

1. Amount of RAM on you system.
    2. Your Burner.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

as above but it's possible that the other two laptops have 7.2K hard drives in them while yours could be 5.4K spindle speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Along with the HD & RAM as the possible difference in time background processes could also be a cause as the Nero encoder is multi-threaded so if you have a lot of stuff running the background it might not be using the CPU to maximum effect (assuming your laptop has a dual core CPU).

Steps I would take anyway;
    Prune unnecessary programs running running the background
    Defrag the hard drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

nice one lads, no its a 5200rpm drive, and DMA is enabled anyway so they aint the problem.

i know in sony vegas theres an option to "transcode with other computers on the network" which i presume would speed up things, can you do this when burning a DVD?

it would make sense for me i've 3 or 4 good spec pc's on the go here, if i could network them for transcoding surly it would be done faster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Sony Vegas is it's own self contained application if it supports networked encoding then you will most likely need to setup the software on the client PC's for this feature to function. This may entail purchasing one than one copy best thing to do is to see Sony's requirements.

Burning to a DVD is the last stage of the process the video re-encoding takes place beforehand.

If you want the time cut down use it (nero) on the best system you have or go purchase an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU for one of the PC's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Use CloneDVD2 by Slysoft,its the fastest transcoder around.
    http://www.slysoft.com/en/clonedvd.html
    Takes around 20-30 minutes to do a film on a half decent machine,i.e 2ghz cpu.
    Its results are top notch too.
    Very user friendly .

Advertisement