Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrading ram. Want to ensure dual channel.

• 28-01-2007 8:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭

i've bought a Dell 640m.
    It came with 512 ram.
    I'd like to bring it up to a gig ram but I'd rather be able to just purchase another 512 stick.
    I realise I'll need a matched pair to use dual channels but I'm hoping to not need to buy a further gig!
    Has anybody any experienceof this?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

Ok, has anybody had success adding ram to a second slot from eg crucial?
    Did it work in dual channel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

What speed is the current RAM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

512MB 533MHz DDR2SDRAM(1x512)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

I am 99.9% CERTAIN that the 640m will view your RAM as Dual Channel whether or not the RAM is made by the same manufacturer or even of equal quantities!

It has an Intel i945GM chipset and an Intel ICH7 southbridge...just like my m1210 which has a 533MHz (512MB) and 667MHz (1GB) sticks or RAM and on the BIOS splash screen tell me that it is operating in Dual Channel mode.

Obviously only the first 1GB of the total 1.5GB is operating in dual channel mode but it is not so bad!!!

Advertisement