Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many posts to become a Mod?

• 28-01-2007 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

OK, so who wins? Who become a mod with the paltriest amount of posts :confused: And how did you swing it ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

two posts. Paid 400,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You will need more posts than me to become mod. Sorry. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

You need to complete the Amp test before you can become a mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You get chosen to become a mod. There's no way of "swinging it". Generally moderators have good knowledge of the subject area of their fora, and are helpful posters. Post count has nothing to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Posts have nothing to do with it and afraid its the No Sizzlers Club. Sorreh. Don't ask for it either or you will never get anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I just kept hanging around Vex asking "Am I a mod now?" twice a second until he relented.

The patience on that fella though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Faith wrote:
    You get chosen to become a mod. There's no way of "swinging it". Generally moderators have good knowledge of the subject area of their fora, and are helpful posters. Post count has nothing to do with it.

Seems fair enough !

The question still stands though, who became a mod with the least amount of posts ? Surely you would have to have a decent number under your belt to be considered to have a good knowledge of a chosen area...

Ruu wrote:
    Posts have nothing to do with it and afraid its the No Sizzlers Club. Sorreh. Don't ask for it either or you will never get anything.

No fear of that :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

You need to complete the Amp test before you can become a mod.
    This is true.
    I failed it, so i had to give Amp head. Then Amp told me that as he had no control over the Rec. section, that I had just given him head for absolutely no reason. That's where WhiteWashMan came into the equation. I will never tell the horrors I had to go through for that man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Sizzler wrote:
    Seems fair enough !

The question still stands though, who became a mod with the least amount of posts ? Surely you would have to have a decent number under your belt to be considered to have a good knowledge of a chosen area...
    Lisapeep, mod of the Hockey forum, has 357 posts.

Would you actually like to be a mod?

rb_ie wrote:

Would you actually like to be a mod?

I think thats the winner! Question answered :)

Ehh, no.

I'll stick to dodgy tipping on the Horse Racing forum thanks :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Sizzler wrote:
    I think thats the winner! Question answered :)

Ehh, no.

I'll stick to dodgy tipping on the Horse Racing forum thanks :cool:

The_new_mr (islam) has 322 at the minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

rb_ie wrote:
    Not exactly a hotbed of activity though. Two of the Mods have listed their interests and neither have included Hockey as one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I think I only had a couple of hundred posts when I first got a HMod slot and was only a member about 2 months.

I wouldn't recommend asking. You'll never get it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Sizzler wrote:
    OK, so who wins? Who become a mod with the paltriest amount of posts :confused: And how did you swing it ;)

i would have said i was snowbie who became mod of the weather forum on about 97 posts.

but, i was actually made a mod with zero posts i think. but then again, im special.

why do you ask? from you couple of posts here, and the soccer forum, im thinking it will be a ong time before you convince the admins to make you a moderator :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Faith wrote:

Generally.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I got in with 1600 posts. And didnt have to take the amp test. Thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Faith wrote:
    Bah... trust Faith to break the Boards.ie tradition of "every time a question related to how to become a mod is asked, everyone gives the most random answers possible!"

You're too darn nice! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Just set up your own forum and you can be an admin!!! Thats way better than a mod :D
    I did one for my wife :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

/me activates cloaking device, sets up multiple spam accounts on Saruman's forum. :)

I can't even remember how many posts I had when I got the first modcap though another mod *winks at Hagar* recommended meh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

basquille wrote:
    Bah... trust Faith to break the Boards.ie tradition of "every time a question related to how to become a mod is asked, everyone gives the most random answers possible!"

You're too darn nice! :D

I didn't realise that was a tradition :(. I started to figure it out when I saw the posts before mine, but by then it was too late.

Ah but a cloaking device is not much good when you give notice of an attack now!! I now know who to hunt down when i get some spam :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Saruman wrote:
    Ah but a cloaking device is not much good when you give notice of an attack now!! I now know who to hunt down when i get some spam :D

Aha! I'm his cloak....oh wait, crap......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It's not about your postcount. It's about how much you like the smell of mushrooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

0 posts, just No Life :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

What if sizzler came up with a great idea for a new forum, like say, "doorknobs of the 20th century" and mods thought it would generate a lot of interest, Wouldnt he then be made mod of the knob forum, presuming he knew all about knobs or would you take his knob idea and give the moderation job to someone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

He would probably have to demonstrate his knowledge of knobs, and his commitment to them, in a practical way first ...

Wait, aren't we just back to the Amp test again? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I got asked did I want to mod Humour, a forum I was banned from before. And the other because they are kinda linked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

So many people want to be a Mod I am thinking of selling my Boards.ie account on ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

being a mod is not anything special. quite irritating actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The Amp test can be quite annoying.

[strike]Esp if the target is wearing bullet-proof armour, and you only have a pistol:mad: That and the way you have to listen to pop music whilst standing on one leg puts the odds against you... :([/strike]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Amp "Test" ? I was just told I had to take Amp :eek:

why do you ask? from you couple of posts here, and the soccer forum, im thinking it will be a ong time before you convince the admins to make you a moderator :)

I was just curious dude, one of those sunday nights where I had nothing better to think about ;)

It might come as a surprise to you but becoming a mod is not one of lifes ambitions :p I'm sure theres a small population on boards who are Mod groupies but I aint one of them ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Rabies wrote:
    I got asked did I want to mod Humour, a forum I was banned from before.

/ Puts name in little notebook.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote:
    The Amp test can be quite annoying.

Exactly... mods get to delete spam and have to read all the crap people post on their forums to make sure they are not breaking the rules... in fact they have to read them damn rules themselves and actually know them by heart.

For some reason, people think they have power! And while some might be said to abuse said power.. they only have the power on their own forum and they can only use it in upholding the rules.

Abuse of this power can lead to being de-modded :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

can I be a mod????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Amp bitch slapped me when I asked him about another forum once, right in the face! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

swingking wrote:
    can I be a mod????

Yes, you can be whatever you want to be!*

*Except an astronaut. They don't actually exist, and are simply well paid actors. True story.

Advertisement