Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What cable to use [electrical]?

Options
  • 28-01-2007 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭

Apologies if asked recently -- search link not working for me today.

Just looking for suggestions for what cable to use in wiring a few outdoor lights in parallel. Two different circuits -- one for five halogen lights with PIRs and the other circuit for a few lower wattage bulbs.

I intend to route the cable from one light to another through the attic so it will have some protection.

I'm just overwhelmed by all the choice of cable in the Maplin catalogue and on that Radionics website.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

Hey,
    3 x 1.5 NYM-J will do the job perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Hey,
    3 x 1.5 NYM-J will do the job perfectly.
    Thanks for the recommendation. Is that cable in the Maplin catalogue or available in any national DIY store?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

3 halogen pirs on one 10a circuit is enough 5 would be too many .the separate mcbs may do for isolating the pir circuits as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

Yeah, to use the 1.5mm cable like I said earlier, make sure you put in 300watt bulbs, not the 500 watt ones you'll probly get with the fittings. Otherwise you'll ovlerload the circuit if you're using a 10a mcb as Dave said. And with 300watt bulbs, you'll be able to put the 5 fittings on one circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

One more bit of advice, dont go to maplins for the cable,
    try an electrical wholesaler, are you based in Dublin??
    anyway try
    http://www.kellihers.com/

for your nearest store, it will be about 3 to 4 times less robbery

• Advertisement

Cheers for advice. Didn't intend using 500 W in all lights, maybe 350 W or even 150 W.

Sorry about that, Skellington -- didn't realise you meant 1.5 mm in your first reply.

Thanks for the link, Stoner. I'm in Galway but I know where the Galway wholesaler on the website is.

hi ethernet

Not getting an electrician is fine, however having seen your circuits I recommend that you do.

In both cases the position of your light switches will cause a short circuit, light switches should only break the live feed i.e placed between the brown cables, breaking the circuit before the lights you want to switch, wiring lights is easy enough, I'd guess it's well within your capability given the correct instructions. Also your diagrams show no indication of protective earth cables.
    These are fundamental errors that indicate that at this moment in time maybe wiring up lights is not something you should attempt, and I for one am not happy to advise you any further on this, sorry, you just need some experience, or someone to actually show you.

If you wanted to save money, maybe you could get and pull the cable in , just leave the hook up to a sparks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Stoner wrote:
    If you wanted to save money, maybe you could get and pull the cable in , just leave the hook up to a sparks.:)
    Seconded, this will actually save you quite a bit as its the bit that takes the longest...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Stoner wrote:
    hi ethernet

Not getting an electrician is fine, however having seen your circuits I recommend that you do.

I'm inclined to agree with Stoner, your circuit diagrams are all over the place. The last thing you want is a live light fitting outdoors.

If you're handy get a few electrical books and study hard, then maybe you'll be able to give it a go.
    Really, Boards is not the place to get basic electrical advice on wiring where there's a risk involved.

Probably best to get an Electrician, though I know it hurts !

Fair points. On the note of the no earth, there's none coming out of attic so I didn't include in my rough diagrams. This bothers me too, I'll let you know.

Best seek advice so. Have a relation who's a sparks but he's always so busy. Cheers anyway ;)

• Advertisement

best of luck with it ethernet:)

Advertisement