Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

youthreach

Options
  • 28-01-2007 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

one of my sons doesn't get on in school, has been talking about doing his junior cert in a youthreach school. doe anyone know anything about them?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Yes ... Dept. of Ed. initiative for early school leavers. Usually operate locally through the VEC, or a partnership including the VEC. Generally a less formal approach to things.

Exact programmes offered vary from centre to centre, but many do Junior Cert. Others offer FETAC accredited courses. Some do both.

Youthreach national website

In the early days, they didn't take people direct from school, there was a 6 month waiting period. Don't know if that still applies. (Idea was to stop kids just deciding to dump school and move down the road on a whim).

Probably a good idea to call to your local centre and chat to the co-ordinator, then chat to the school. If he really would be better off in this environment, they can probably arrange it between them.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

I'd try and get your son to stay in his regular school if at all possible. Youthreach do a fantastic job I'm sure, but to future potential employers the fact that your son gave up on school/was given up on by school would spell troublemaker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

He will do a limted Junior Cert. in a Youthreach centre, which is fine if he realises that will limit his choices somewhat. If he is likely to go down the apprenticeship route, Youthreach can be an advantage to him as they have close connections with employers in the trades.

Not all kids are made for schools (I teach in a VEC school myself) and many flourish in Youthreach. There will of course be kids there that don't want to do any work, but you get that in schools and workplaces too.

When you say he 'doesn't get on in school', what do you mean?
    What does he think will be different in Youthreach, apart from the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gabrielatuica

Hi, does anyone know if you don't speak English can you still go to youthreach school?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

http://www.youthreach.ie/

Contact them for all the info you need.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

You need to contact your local Youthreach centre. Not speaking English isn't necessarily an impediment for applying but they don't have English support classes. I worked in Youthreach myself and my partner still does - it is a vocational programme and focuses on skills and training. There would be an assumption that you speak some English in order to be able to progress.

Advertisement