Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed IP?

Options
  • 28-01-2007 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I have BT BB 1mb Home package currently. Is there any way to get a fixed IP or something? Any way I can find dormant IP addresses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

Eircom used to provide static IPs at a cost of $50 once-off, might want to enquire to BT if they do anything similar

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just curious, why do you need a static IP?
    I ask because most people think they need one when they actually don't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 thejetset

Cabaal wrote:
    Just curious, why do you need a static IP?
    I ask because most people think they need one when they actually don't :)

I am running an FTP server and wish to access it from outside my network.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Check out www.no-ip.com. It provides you with a fixed DNS entry which is linked to your dynamic ip addy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

On what degsie has mention there's also dyndns.org also does a pretty good job.

You can run a little app in startup that will update your IP on your dyndns.org account every x hours/days etc

Its free as well and certainly cheaper then paying for a static IP :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

this will work quite nicely

http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/ all that is required is a small application running on your pc which nupdateds your dynamic ip address automatically http://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/

all you need to do then is open port 21 on your router

• Registered Users Posts: 46 thejetset

Cabaal wrote:
    On what degsie has mention there's also dyndns.org also does a pretty good job.
    You can run a little app in startup that will update your IP on your dyndns.org account every x hours/days etc
    Its free as well and certainly cheaper then paying for a static IP :)

A) I am running linux. Does any of the services support that?
    B) I want to be able to use the domain I have already with it. I dont want to transfer my domain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭parliament

Your router could possibly support dyndns (netgears do), I think the reason people look for static IP's on BT is because they have a 24hr DHCP lease, once a day your router looses its connection and, pain in the *ss if you leave anything downloading

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

if your router is any good it should not break the connection and should continue the download, i remember when i was with eircom which had 24hr leases downloads were never broken by IP renews

thejetset wrote:
    A) I am running linux. Does any of the services support that?.

Having not tried set it up on linux I'm not sure if they have abit of software to take care of the updating

However as already mentioned depending on your router it might have the abilty already build in, I know some Linksys and Netgear routers do anyway

Otheriwise you could manually update your IP by simplying updating it on the dyndns.org webpage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I'm using a Netgear router and using Linux. DynDNS uses your router for updating your IP address with the service so it's not OS-dependent.

I also have a Linkys router and it supports DynDNS also.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

thejetset wrote:
    A) I am running linux. Does any of the services support that?
    B) I want to be able to use the domain I have already with it. I dont want to transfer my domain.

To solve b: Add a CNAME record to your dns records to point to your dyndns name.

Advertisement