Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein backs police in historic vote

Options
  • 28-01-2007 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

DUBLIN (Reuters) - Sinn Fein voted to end decades of opposition to Northern Ireland's police force on Sunday, removing a key obstacle to the restoration of a regional power-sharing government.

The party, political ally of the IRA which killed nearly 300 police officers during a 30-year campaign against British rule, voted overwhelmingly at a special meeting in Dublin to back the Protestant-dominated

(Advertisement)
    force.
    The vote, a momentous step for Sinn Fein, could end political stalemate in Northern Ireland after the suspension in 2002 of a power-sharing assembly between majority pro-British Protestants and a Catholic minority who want a united Ireland.

Backing for the rule of law is required by the province's biggest pro-British Protestant grouping, the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP), before it will consider sharing power in a Belfast-based assembly set up under a 1998 peace deal.

"The decision we have taken today is truly historic," Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams said at the end of the conference, which was attended by more than 2,000 delegates.

"You have created the opportunity to significantly advance our struggle -- it's now up to you," he told the gathering.

Sinn Fein's predominantly Catholic support base has long viewed the province's justice system as favouring Protestants.

No one from the DUP was immediately available to comment but the party has repeatedly said it will wait to see proof of Sinn Fein's commitment before making any final decisions.

More than 3,600 people were killed in Northern Ireland's conflict, with the IRA responsible for nearly half the deaths.

Violence has subsided over the past decade and the province is enjoying increased prosperity, but the two communities remain deeply divided and political cooperation has proved difficult.

BLAIR HOPES

There had been speculation that a report earlier this week detailing collusion between senior Northern Ireland police officers and Protestant killers could stiffened resistance among hardliners but the Sinn Fein leadership held up the revelations as further reason to become involved in law and order.

Reassurances by the British government in recent weeks about limiting the role of spy service MI5 in the province's security arrangements, and restrictions on the use of plastic bullets have also helped ease Sinn Fein jitters.

The result was welcomed by Prime Minister Tony Blair who wants to break the impasse in Northern Ireland before he leaves office this year.

"The Prime Minister welcomes this historic decision and recognises the leadership it has taken to get to this point," a spokesman said.

Earlier, Blair said developments were at a critical stage, with a solid basis for the province's future within grasp.

"What a fantastic thing that would be -- instead of waking up as we used to years ago to violence and terrorism in Northern Ireland, we have the prospect of peace," he told the BBC.

The regional government, which London and Dublin hope will resume work by March 26, folded four years ago after a spying scandal shattered an already fragile cross-party administration.

So what now for the north. I wonder what reason the DUP will give now for not going into power sharing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Paisley has spoken:
    From BreakingNews.ie:
    The time for true and visible Sinn Féin support for policing has arrived, the Rev Ian Paisley’s Democratic Unionists said tonight.

The party leader said they had forced republicans to recognise the Police Service of Northern Ireland.

Delegates at a special Sinn Féin Ard Fheis in Dublin voted overwhelmingly to work with the service.

Mr Paisley said: “The DUP has forced Sinn Féin to recognise support for the police and the rule of law as an issue of paramount importance for which there can be no other way. Sinn Féin must now walk this road.

“No post-dated action can take the place of real delivery. The postponements must come to an end.

“The time for true, visible and open support for the police and law enforcement has arrived.”

Today’s shift means telling police about crime, taking seats on accountability bodies like the Policing Board and District Policing Partnerships.

Mr Paisley said anything less than full implementation of Sinn Féin’s commitments would render today’s meeting valueless.

“Only with real delivery can the way be cleared for a full return to democracy and a facing up to the everyday needs and requirements of the people of Northern Ireland,” he said.

“The site must be cleared before proper building can begin. All Ulster people, across both the religious and political divides, know that it is now or never.”

The DUP, the majority unionist party, will be expected to share power with Sinn Féin by the time the Northern Ireland Assembly and Executive is restored on March 26.

That was part of the deal agreed last October by the Irish and British governments at St Andrews in Scotland.

This is a huge step forward for the North everyone involved in bringing this deal together is to be commended. I just hope dissident republicans don't mess it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

The next DUP goal post shift will be: Make the IRA give back the money from the Northern Bank raid or we wont go into government with you. After that it'll be make Gerry Adams shave off his beard because we cant see what he's hiding behind it, or we wont go into government with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If they make Adams shave his beard off, he won't be recognisable! :p

No surprise in the vote, he woud'nt have convened the EGM if he was'nt sure of the result.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It is good that the Shinners have done this, but as usual we await what the Duppers will do. Usually they don't do much. There will be pressure on them now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

baztard wrote:
    The next DUP goal post shift will be: Make the IRA give back the money from the Northern Bank raid or we wont go into government with you.

Actually I think it's "We want to see how this policy change is manifested in the communities before we go into government with you". Well that's according to Ian paisley junior on The Week In Politics tonight.

That's a predictable and reasonable position to take. Looking at it objectively, it makes the most sense.

It would be a tragedy if the DUP split or met the same fate as the UUP simply by being under-cautious. Their trepidation is on the whole, positive. It is maintaining the trust of their community until such time that the community feel ready to push it on.
    If Sinn Fein are dedicated to policing, they will still be dedicated in five weeks time. There's no use telling the Unionists that the PSNI will be afforded recognition, you need to show them that this is the case. That cannot reasonably be expected to happen overnight.

Peace and tolerance is tip-toeing into Northern Ireland, and correctly so. If you try to get it booming in you'll just upset the apple cart. I am glad that the DUP are being a bit hesitant - there is progress in baby steps.
    This is a huge step forward for the North everyone involved in bringing this deal together is to be commended

What is commendable about accepting the rule of law?

Yes today was a huge day for Northern Ireland, it shows how far sectarian politics has come, but it also demonstrates very clearly how far they have to go.
    Recognizing the basic machinery of the state is one of the most basic steps one can take in a democracy. This move was quite rightly expected and demanded of Sinn Fein.
    I don't think they, or we, should be showing gratitude any more than we should be thanking a thief for not robbing us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

I can understand why SF didn't support the police - they had, and perhaps still have, a lot of issues with loyalist collusion/conspiracy. They would have been within their rights not to support them today, but they did. After all this time, I must say fair dues to them for being the "bigger man" about the whole thing.

Just look at what has happened in under 2 years - the IRA have given up the armed struggle completely and verifiably handed over all their weaponsm, the leadership stated clearly that no republican should commit crimes anymore (remember Gerry Adams frank words about the people involved in the vodka heist a year ago?) and Sinn Fein have now finished the job by voicing support and confidence in the police. Credit must be given to Gerry Adams and the leadership of the republican movement for this complete turnaround which I think can only benefit everyone on this entire island.

SF/IRA have done just about everything short of singing "God Save The Queen." They now have a real chance throw down the gauntlet to the DUP and finally see if they're prepared to do a deal or not, which I hope they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cormac_s

Recognizing the basic machinery of the state is one of the most basic steps one can take in a democracy. This move was quite rightly expected and demanded of Sinn Fein.

Thats a bit of an over simplification.

The main problem Sinn Fein have had with the policing board is that fact that it had no power whatsoever to do anything about its recommendations, and no-one had the need to take any notice of anything the policing board had to say. a talking shop some would call it, and basically pretty useless. The power the policing board originally had was transferred to the british government.

Part of the negotiations was that this power is transfered back, which it apparently will be. now that the policing board actually has some teeth, its worth being a part of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

What is commendable about accepting the rule of law

Now i wouldnt call policing in the north over the last 40 years "normal" rule of law by western standards. Would you? Wasnt there a report a few days ago stating this and that.?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

InFront wrote:
    Actually I think it's "We want to see how this policy change is manifested in the communities before we go into government with you".
    And how are they going to quantify policy change manifesting in communities? Thats just a bull**** reason not to commit.
    InFront wrote:
    What is commendable about accepting the rule of law?
    I can only imagine it is not easy to accept a rule of law that has proven itself sectarian time and time again in the past. How would you feel if that "rule of law" helped murder your children, your neighbours etc. It would take me a long time to ever trust them again.
    InFront wrote:
    Yes today was a huge day for Northern Ireland, it shows how far sectarian politics has come, but it also demonstrates very clearly how far they have to go.
    I don't think they, or we, should be showing gratitude any more than we should be thanking a thief for not robbing us.
    I think they should be praised for the mojor movement and compromise that they have shown. Lets just see what the DUP ask for next.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

axer wrote:
    And how are they going to quantify policy change manifesting in communities? Thats just a bull**** reason not to commit.

I can only imagine it is not easy to accept a rule of law that has proven itself sectarian time and time again in the past. How would you feel if that "rule of law" helped murder your children, your neighbours etc. It would take me a long time to ever trust them again.

I think they should be praised for the mojor movement and compromise that they have shown. Lets just see what the DUP ask for next.

Yes, it's always interesting to see what the next obstacle the DUP will put in front of the process.

• Advertisement

Photographs of all nationalists shaking the hand of their local policeman?
    It wouldn't do for some photographs now,there'd have to be photographs of them all.
    Best do this with the nationalists wearing t- shirt's with the word papist on them to be sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

jank wrote:
    Now i wouldnt call policing in the north over the last 40 years "normal" rule of law by western standards. Would you? Wasnt there a report a few days ago stating this and that.?;)
    There was. How would you rate the rule of law or policing in Northern Ireland at the moment, given that this is the obvious basis for the decision in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

It works both ways, especially when you consider SFIRA are being asked to recognise a reformed PSNI, whereas the DUP are being asked to recognise Martin McGuinness and Gerry Adams who as you say "helped murder your children, your neighbours etc. It would take me a long time to trust them ever again".

The PSNI and the Northern Ireland state has been putting words into action for years. SFIRA are still at the words stage. This announcement doesnt mean that the SFIRA activists who saw Robert McCartney attacked and dragged out into the street to be butchered will give proper statements to assist PSNI inquiries. If a similar incident happened tommorrow, the same attitude would prevail. Until that changes....

And of course, the price for SFIRA acceptance of the PSNI has been the otherwise inexplicable shutdown of Northern Irelands version of the Criminal Assets Bureau, which has be extremely successful in tracking down paramilitary and organised crime assets. Too successful for the liking of "good republicans" like Tom "Slab" Murphy it seems. Easy to accept policing if policing is designed to allow you to commit crimes you want to commit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

SFIRA are still at the words stage

*Cough* Decommisining *Cough*
    If a similar incident happened tommorrow, the same attitude would prevail

You can tell the future??:eek: Any chance of Wednesday lotto numbers
    he otherwise inexplicable shutdown of Northern Irelands version of the Criminal Assets Bureau

First time I heard of this. Can you back this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

jank wrote:

First time I heard of this. Can you back this up?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6251339.stm

Strange would not shock me although they promise there will be no let up in the pursuit of criminals.

Sand wrote:
    It works both ways, especially when you consider SFIRA are being asked to recognise a reformed PSNI, whereas the DUP are being asked to recognise Martin McGuinness and Gerry Adams who as you say "helped murder your children, your neighbours etc. It would take me a long time to trust them ever again".

There are politicians on both side that have violent pasts, people can't live in the past and expect peace, SF have brought the republican movement to an historical point, one that many doubted they could achieve.

The DUP have dragged their feet at every stage if they really want peace for EVERYONE they have to move and they have to enter powersharing with SF who represent the majority of Nationalists.
    Sand wrote:
    The PSNI and the Northern Ireland state has been putting words into action for years. SFIRA are still at the words stage.

Oh so at the words stage they have managed to get the IRA to cease ALL activity's as stated by IMC reports??
    Sand wrote:
    This announcement doesnt mean that the SFIRA activists who saw Robert McCartney attacked and dragged out into the street to be butchered will give proper statements to assist PSNI inquiries. If a similar incident happened tommorrow, the same attitude would prevail. Until that changes....

How in gods name could you know that, offer proof or retract that statement please.
    Sand wrote:
    And of course, the price for SFIRA acceptance of the PSNI has been the otherwise inexplicable shutdown of Northern Irelands version of the Criminal Assets Bureau, which has be extremely successful in tracking down paramilitary and organised crime assets. Too successful for the liking of "good republicans" like Tom "Slab" Murphy it seems. Easy to accept policing if policing is designed to allow you to commit crimes you want to commit.
    It is not been shut down get your facts right Sand, the work it carry's out will still continue just as part of the Serious Organised Crime Agency (SOCA).

What is it you want SF to do bend over and let Paisley spank them in public?? Sorry but I really don't see what more they can do?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

irish1 wrote:
    How in gods name could you know that, offer proof or retract that statement please.
    What exactly are you looking for proof of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cormac_s

i would assume this bit:
    If a similar incident happened tommorrow, the same attitude would prevail

Yes Cormas_s got it in one, Sand didn't present that as opinion it looks like he is stating that as if its a fact, I would love to see him prove that accusation.

He's talking about the consequences of a hypothetical future situation. Unless he's got a crystal ball, of course it's his opinion.

• Advertisement

Well he should say its an opinion or offer proof, I thought that was the rules of the forum??

I've made my opinion clear. Back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The change of name from the RUC to the PSNI doesn't mean that the police officers who ran death squads will stop. If a similar opportunity happened tommorrow, the same attitude would prevail. Until that changes....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Until that changes....
    ... the lads with the unofficial militias will be ready to buy a few guns again?

Pure supposition I'm afraid. Adding ellipsis doesn't make it any more true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

The move from RUC to PSNI was more than a name change. I wish An Garda and its management/supervision were structured in the same way.

So what does this historic decision mean? The DUP will now form a Government of Northern Ireland with SFIRA. Extremists rule OK?

Now that SFIRA full recognises partition, would some brave journalist insist on knowing what their so-called "war" was about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

The change of name from the RUC to the PSNI doesn't mean that the police officers who ran death squads will stop.

Except you're overlooking that changes have actually involved more than just a name change.
    Policing procedures had already been brought officially in line with about 75% of the recommendations of the Patten Report. After the recent developments it is fair to say that has just been progressed even further. the biggest obstacle left to the Patten report now is devolution of the thing.
    Such reports are particularly positive for policing, and the new force headed by Hugh Orde has been publicly praised by Nuala O Loan.

Why do you suggest it is only really a name change?

irish1 wrote:

The bit about not co operating with the psni if IRA members are involved? I heard a few commentators speak on this over the weekend (one of them was a Sunday Tribune NI spokesperson iirc) and state thats what they expected.
    I also heard Gerry Adams yesterday on RTÉ going into specefics as to where there should be co operation with the psni giving examples of rapists,thugs and joyriding etc.

Why would he be giving specefic examples rather than just to say co operate with the police when law breaking is being investigated full stop?
    It appears to me to be because he wants an out albeit privately an out when it comes to trickier co operation situations.

Remember the type of people who are more opposed to Sundays decision are those more likely to be less likely to give up the ways of the IRA and these are the very people that Adams has to thread softly around.
    They may not do another McCartney but Adams and co aren't going to make it obvious that if they do,that they will have to be shopped on to the police.

There are no issues similar to the RUC with respect to the Gardaí and yet a wall of silence apparently came down over the murder of Joseph Rafferty for instance.In other words, theres an unwritten code there anathema to the rest of society.
    SF's tactical move into mainstream politics in the last decade or more has managed to put these incidences to a minimum but they are worrying none the less.
    In my opinion,to think that crimes directly involving IRA buddies will prompt more PSNI co operation after sundays decision would be naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

There are politicians on both side that have violent pasts, people can't live in the past and expect peace, SF have brought the republican movement to an historical point, one that many doubted they could achieve.

The DUP have dragged their feet at every stage if they really want peace for EVERYONE they have to move and they have to enter powersharing with SF who represent the majority of Nationalists.

Yadda yadda. Talk is cheap. When Adams and Co co-operate with the PSNI in the fashion that we would expect in our own democracy from government parties, then they will have brought the provos to an actual historical point.

Eh no, and no. Theres a report bad post there you can use to complain. Im sure the mods will get right on it.
    It is not been shut down get your facts right Sand, the work it carry's out will still continue just as part of the Serious Organised Crime Agency (SOCA).

Yeah, a successful Belfast based agency focused on the paramilitary/crime organisations of Northern Ireland is moved to London where it is subsumed into a larger broader focused organisation which deals with UK organised criminals of a very different nature than what is found in Northern Ireland. I sure the NI paramilitary groups will receive just as much attention from London as they would have from the ARA.

Yeah, its hard to see why Hugh Orde has voiced concern over the shutdown of the ARA and has mentioned he will set up a unit in his own force if needed. Seeing as he would surely have been fully briefed on this development that seems odd doesnt it, if its just business as usual?

Funny timing as well given SFIRA sign up for policing just as Murphy hears his tormentors in the ARA are being disbanded. Reminds me of the way Hain jailed an IRA guy one weekend and freed him by the next SFIRA press release. Ah, but I can be very cynical. Im sure the Provos, Bertie and Blair are shining paladins of virtue whod be shocked at even the concept.
    What is it you want SF to do bend over and let Paisley spank them in public?? Sorry but I really don't see what more they can do?

Yeah, the Provos couldnt see what more they could do back in 1993. They literally need hand puppets to explain it to them.
    But jesus, arent they superstars all the same - recognising that the PSNI is the police force of Northern Ireland. Christ, brave move, gutsy move. Up next, SFIRA recognises that the Titanic sank.
    In my opinion,to think that crimes directly involving IRA buddies will prompt more PSNI co operation after sundays decision would be naive.

Tristrame, are you daring to question a press release from Gerry? Blasphemy!

Sand wrote:
    Yadda yadda. Talk is cheap. When Adams and Co co-operate with the PSNI in the fashion that we would expect in our own democracy from government parties, then they will have brought the provos to an actual historical point.
    Ah but do you see a democracy with government parties elected by the voters of Northern Ireland because I sure as hell don't, have you seen collusion in our democracy simalar to that of the RUC???

If you want to compare like with like you can't just pick the bits you like Sand.
    Sand wrote:
    Eh no, and no. Theres a report bad post there you can use to complain. Im sure the mods will get right on it.
    Ah so you can't prove it, thats fine.

Sand wrote:
    Yeah, a successful Belfast based agency focused on the paramilitary/crime organisations of Northern Ireland is moved to London where it is subsumed into a larger broader focused organisation which deals with UK organised criminals of a very different nature than what is found in Northern Ireland. I sure the NI paramilitary groups will receive just as much attention from London as they would have from the ARA.

Yeah, its hard to see why Hugh Orde has voiced concern over the shutdown of the ARA and has mentioned he will set up a unit in his own force if needed. Seeing as he would surely have been fully briefed on this development that seems odd doesnt it, if its just business as usual?

Funny timing as well given SFIRA sign up for policing just as Murphy hears his tormentors in the ARA are being disbanded. Reminds me of the way Hain jailed an IRA guy one weekend and freed him by the next SFIRA press release. Ah, but I can be very cynical. Im sure the Provos, Bertie and Blair are shining paladins of virtue whod be shocked at even the concept.

So in other words you were incorrect when you said it was been "Shutdown"!

Sand wrote:
    Yeah, the Provos couldnt see what more they could do back in 1993. They literally need hand puppets to explain it to them.
    But jesus, arent they superstars all the same - recognising that the PSNI is the police force of Northern Ireland. Christ, brave move, gutsy move. Up next, SFIRA recognises that the Titanic sank.
    Oh right so you demand action and then when its delivered you slag them off for it, I asked what more you want them to do but you failed to answer that part. Its funny also the way you never mention the Loyalists groups that have failed to cease all activity's either, but hey their not nationalists or republicans so they can do whatever they like, right? Just like the DUP who demand and demand and then when the demands are met shift the demands again.

Sinn Fein have delivered, both the Irish and British governments agree on that, as for the DUP well we are still waiting.....
    Sand wrote:
    Tristrame, are you daring to question a press release from Gerry? Blasphemy!
    Funny the way no-one questioned his press release when he said "They haven't gone away you know", but some people will just believe what they want and ignore the rest:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

irish1 wrote:
    Ah so you can't prove it, thats fine.
    Seriously, irish1: let it go. As for you, Sand:
    Sand wrote:
    It had already been dealt with. There was no need to get the dig in.

Back on topic - and less of the bickering, please.

Advertisement