Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused, FSB etc

Options
  • 28-01-2007 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi,

Recently I got together a load of used parts and assembled a pc. The Motherboard is an Asus K8V-X and I have an Athlon 3000+ with 1 gb of
    DDR333 ram.

The system runs but has never really been stable with random reboots etc.
    There is no cooling problem so I started looking in to FSB and Voltages.
    From what I can see DDR333 runs at FSB 166mhz, but the lowest FSB the motherboard allows me to set is 200mhz which is DDR400. Could this be my
    problem? Or have I got it all ass backwards?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yes, this is most likely the problem. Your ram will probably not run at 200mhz. What you could try is increasing the ram voltage a little bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

You should check for a bios update the latest is 1012 it might allow you to run the FSB at a lower speed. You can flash in Windows through Asus Update.

My memory is a little foggy on this but I think some Athlon XP boards could run the memory speed independent of the CPU FSB. Had a quick look at the manual in the bios check the Advanced->CPU Configuration->Memory Configuration section and under the "Memclock Mode" see what is available.

Run CPU-Z and confirm that the RAM is actually running at DDR333 or DDR400 on the memory tab before doing anything. If the RAM is running at DDR333 it simply could be defective RAM that is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Bubonic

Thanks for the responses.

I upped the voltage from 2.5 to 2.6 but haven't had time yet to give the mahine a good test. However, on first impressions I think its more stable.

I do have the latest BIOS update but I haven't had time yet to check the other items mentioned. I'll have a look later.

Thanks again.

Advertisement