Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with the leaving cert: blog

Options
  • 28-01-2007 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi, i'm after setting up a blog (soon to be a .com) where articles which deal with different sections of the LC are posted. You check it out at:
    http://leavingcert.wordpress.com/

I'm currently looking to get some fairly regular contributers on board. I won't be able topay anything because (as you can see) there are no ads on the site and therefore no form of revenue. I need people to contribute articles on basically any leaving cert subject which they have a good knowledge of. If you wantto get involved in this project, please give me an e-mail at superhobo@gmail.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

As good as an idea as this seems, I'd far sooner spend my time studying the subjects instead of displaying to everyone the results of me studying that subject.

Best of luck with it though. Few good notes on there already...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 superhobo

Well, actually I find the process of writing up an essay on whatever I'm studying to be very helpful, which is one of the reasons I started the blog. It means I pretty much HAVE to write up a half decent essay of some sort each and every evening.

Come on like, I'm not asking for much and ye'd be helping yourselves aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

superhobo wrote:
    Come on like, I'm not asking for much and ye'd be helping yourselves aswell!

difficult thing to do, get students to work for free.. i should know :D

theleavingcert.com would be dying a slow death at the minute, had it not been for my deep pockets :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Doesn't look that busy to me now either.

Ah, look I know what u mean, all i'm saying is, if you have an essay or some notes typed up on your pc, just send them along to me and i'll throw them up. I wouldn't expect anyone to go off and do it especially for the site like.

• Advertisement

Doesn't look that busy to me now either.

well, it doesn't have to be busy to be useful..

the site is SEO'd very well now so it's picking up organic traffic from google. Despite the deserted forum, traffic is well up on the old site and it can only improve as I add more content..

people take the site more seriously now that it looks professional and friendly. Without cash, i couldn't have re-designed it, hosted it or even bought the domain.

a wordpres blog is the best way to start off though, imo. Free, easy to use and google seems to love them :)

Indeed, and we wordpressians DO love Google! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

A very nice gesture for students. Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

Useful site! Keeping going with it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

Smart idea!! I prefer to type up my study notes than write.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

that cultural context question was really helpful! thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

smemon wrote:
    people take the site more seriously now that it looks professional and friendly.

You site doesn't look professional or friendly:confused: The text is a darker shade of the background colour. I am talking about the "Latest Tips / Popular Tips" part. Also, the logo is a good idea, but the scroll doesn't look like a "t" to me! Just my opinion of course - others could think different. Some good articles though!

oh and the message board section is terrible:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

And that means I will now learn three poets. That Robert Frost essay looks good enough for me to steal some ideas. Unfortunately for me though, the history is all just a few years outta my range. I do Topics 2 & 3. Good idea though, and if I do anything, I'll send it down for ya. Would some Macbeth stuff be any good?

Nehpets wrote:
    You site doesn't look professional or friendly:confused: The text is a darker shade of the background colour. I am talking about the "Latest Tips / Popular Tips" part. Also, the logo is a good idea, but the scroll doesn't look like a "t" to me! Just my opinion of course - others could think different. Some good articles though!

oh and the message board section is terrible:D

thanks for the comments :D

yesterday, the message board was switched from 'flat' to 'threaded', so yeah, it got messed up and looked pretty awful.. but it's back to normal again.

the scroll DOES look like a 't' ;) even if it didn't, people would still know what it means anyway :)

as for the colours, i deliberately wanted the menu's and tips to be blended, so that the emphasis would be on the content.. which at the end of the day is why people come to the site :)

if you think the current design is poor, thank god you didn't see the old one :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I did, I was registered on the old forum :D can't remember it though

Thanks for the support everyone. Any stuff ye want to contribute, just send it to my e-mail address up above! Sorry I'm not putting stuffup every day now, but my Pre's start this week! :D

Nehpets wrote:
    I did, I was registered on the old forum :D can't remember it though

oh ok :o

well, the majority of users prefer the new design ~65% from a poll i placed on the site:)

in my eyes, the old site was cold and outdated. At least this has a bit of colour and bling to it :p

Advertisement