Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bumper Accomodation Thread *Put ALL Accomodation queries here*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Does anyone know anything about Victoria Station?

A possible incoming first year this year and it seems really appealing. I read a post here from 2007 saying that it was terrible, but does anyone know if this is true? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about Victoria Station?

A possible incoming first year this year and it seems really appealing. I read a post here from 2007 saying that it was terrible, but does anyone know if this is true? Thanks.

Its very close to Farranlea and Vic Lodge so that would make it about 8 minutes walk from Brookfield and about 15 from main campus. It seems to be a fairly small complex so that could be why there there doesnt seem to be anyone on here whos lived there. My advice would be to ring up Victoria Lodge, Victoria Station, Student Village, Farranlea Hall and Vic Mills to ask if you can have a look at the rooms. They're all with a 2/3 minute walk of each other and you could view all of them within an hour or so.

Edit: WGB is a bout a 5/6 minute walk and Brookfield is just over a footbridge from there.vWhat course are you thinking of doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Its very close to Farranlea and Vic Lodge so that would make it about 8 minutes walk from Brookfield and about 15 from main campus. It seems to be a fairly small complex so that could be why there there doesnt seem to be anyone on here whos lived there. My advice would be to ring up Victoria Lodge, Victoria Station, Student Village, Farranlea Hall and Vic Mills to ask if you can have a look at the rooms. They're all with a 2/3 minute walk of each other and you could view all of them within an hour or so.

Edit: WGB is a bout a 5/6 minute walk and Brookfield is just over a footbridge from there.vWhat course are you thinking of doing?

B.I.S hopefully! Just looking at Vic Lodge and Vic Mills, they're actually so expensive! Like I can understand paying 4500-ish, but why bring it up to 5500 including the deposits and stuff? :/ It's really expensive >_< I don't think I could afford either of them! Thanks for all your info btw. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Education for all

Hi All.Hope to study chemical science in September.Any advice/help on accomodation,preferably digs near campus?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MariaBlaah

Anyone know much about Brookfield Apartments? Hope to be studying International Development and Food Policy in September!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭happyfish

Just wondering what the friendliest/best craic accomodation would be for a first year?:D
    Sorry if this has been asked already but if I'm from cavan and would know absolutely no one in 1st year in cork if i end up there and i'm terrified of being lonely and totally lost:eek:
    thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hevsuit

happyfish wrote: »
    Just wondering what the friendliest/best craic accomodation would be for a first year?:D
    Sorry if this has been asked already but if I'm from cavan and would know absolutely no one in 1st year in cork if i end up there and i'm terrified of being lonely and totally lost:eek:
    thanks a mill

Hey....:D

Im lvin in farranlea atm.
    Correct me if im wrong but between here and Vic lodge next door, this is defo the party central for 1st years...

The sofas in farranlea are ......*wake up after crashing the night before*........a back breaker, literally. The arms are wooden and the removable cushions are rocks!.

But other than that, "C'est le craic alright"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Borger

Hey I'm just wondering about victoria lodge accommodation? would it already be booked out by now? is it worth the cost?
    Any info would be much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

happyfish wrote: »
    thanks a mill

vic lodge for definite.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Glowla

Hey guys

I'm going into 3rd year in September and going through the headache of looking for accomodation.
    Could people give me info on your experience and knowlegde of The Spires, Sheare's Gate, Jennings Pool and Fullers Lodge please?

Also I'll be on placement from Feb 2012 and will prob be doing it away from Cork so does anybody know of places who are kinda cool and faciliate this?

Thanks smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

websites say Farranlea is 5 min walk to college and Victoria Station is short walk - is that really true or is it creative advertising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

Im debating whether to get a house next year or go into student accomodation for september. In first year and Im staying in vic mills. I love it here. I was thinking of coming back here next year or maybe university hall. But my friend has asked me to get a house with her next year with two of my other friends. I would love to live with them but Im not keen on the idea of getting a house, Ive heard a lot of bad things about them, most people I spoke to all went back into student accomodation after living in a house for the year. Student accomodation is just so handy Can anyone tell me their experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭funki_munkee

websites say Farranlea is 5 min walk to college and Victoria Station is short walk - is that really true or is it creative advertising

Def not true! Farranlea is by far the furthest away of all the student accommodation, Victoria Station is more or less beside it so much of a muchness! Im going to say 15/20 mins depending on what part of the campus ur goin to. Might be a bit shorter going the orchard road way but defo not 5 mins anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Aoi

MariaBlaah wrote: »
    Anyone know much about Brookfield Apartments? Hope to be studying International Development and Food Policy in September!

The apartments are nice but having lived in one this year, I like the houses more. Yes there are 8 people in a house but the living area in the apartments are quite small.

Brookfield is definitely one of the best places to live for the atmosphere & the craic. (My friend who lives in the village was amazed at how big it was)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jazzzzy

I'm going into second year in September and i'm thinking of applying to Deans Hall. I definetly want to live in a student complex after experiencing life in a student house this year! I am just wondering does anyone have any idea when you would want to have Deans Hall booked by in order to secure a place? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Exuberant

jazzzzy wrote: »
    I'm going into second year in September and i'm thinking of applying to Deans Hall. I definetly want to live in a student complex after experiencing life in a student house this year! I am just wondering does anyone have any idea when you would want to have Deans Hall booked by in order to secure a place? Thanks!

Well I'm living in DeansHall this year (I'm sitting in my apartment typing this right now!) and I only booked my accommodation at the start of August I'd say it was, so you have plenty of time yet I'd say! It didn't seem like the accommodation was gonna be booked out for the year unless I acted quickly. They didn't make it seem like that anyways. They are grand apartments, really big bedrooms! I'm in a 3 person apartment which I love because our living space is the same size as those with a 5 person apartment, so we have loads of room. Plus, it's in the handiest location ever! 8 minutes from college if you walk the college road way and around a 3/4 minute walk to town (well to the grand parade/ oliver plunketts street) Security usually aren't too strict but if you get on their bad side they'll be watching you like a hawk for the rest of the year! Hope that helps a bit, and if you have any other questions I'd be glad to answer them!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Glowla

Can anyone give me info on Uni Hall please? just a general overview.
    Is it very clinical like vic mills and whats security like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 eggineer

Okay, as a first year i'm going to tell you my personal experiences (and what i've heard from everyone else in 1st year!)

CastleWhite
    Not much of a buzz and not very homely, also have to share a abthroom, but really near college (like 5 mins) so thats an obvious advantage

Vic Lodge
    Really good fun, bit of a trek from college, very strict though, it's very homely and everyone has their own bathroom and everyone seems really close

The Village
    Very old fashioned and and are REALLY strict about overnight visitors, and vistors in general, also if you're planning on having a party, ever, forget it coz nobody'll be allowed in, can also be thrown in with 2nd, 3rd or 4th years

Vic Mills
    Not very homely and the people in the apts dont seem very close as there's so many people sharing, although you can get passes to havanna's (one of the clubs) so always a plus! Right beside Western Gateway so very handy if you're doing BIS or Maths

Brookfield
    Nice, REALLY small kitchens though, could be 8 people sharing one fridge and the internet is crappy!
    Close to Brookfield though if you're doing any health sciences, and it's cheap! Don't get to know very many people though!

Creganne Hall
    VERY far away and no buzz there at all! Full of 4th and 3rd years

Deans Hall
    Have to pay extra if you want internet and also very far away from everyone, only a last resort to be honest

Farranlea
    Veryy nice, uncomfortable couches but you'll be able to have a party there no bother coz the wardens arent buzz kills and never shut down parties
    Couches are uncomfortable but you have to compromise, would defiantly recommend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sprinkle

Anyone know much about Jennings Pool?? Cant decide if we should go for a house or stick to student accommodation..

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MariaBlaah

Farranlea looks really nice in the pictures on the website... Is it actually like that? And the price! Is it 5800 or is that just me?! Do you get 750 back at the end of the year? It says that that 750 is a deposite? but 450 is utilities? Although, (surprisingly) I'v heard really good things about CW from a number of people this year (despite a broken shower :P) and it seems to be a good bit cheaper? And its on the gate! What's the craic like there though? I know the post previously said that there isn't much but is that everyones experience? Or does it just depend on who youre living with! I have a few friends going down to Cork aswell but we're all going living in different places so as to met more people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

I can't decide between Victoria Lodge and Victoria Mills! :P I've looked into a few. Castlewhite seems to be a definite no. I've looked into a few of the others but none of them have really taken my fancy.
    I hope to be doing Pharmacy come September so near enough to the Cavanagh building would be handy, and my backup choices consist of some more chemistry/biology based courses so I'm not too sure how far the various buildings are away from each other, but anyway :P
    I've heard that there's more of a community sense in Vic Lodge but the fire alarm is ongoing and they can be strict (but I wasn't told about what).
    In Victoria Mills it seems to be pretty good for student accommodation. Generally bigger than the other places. I know a guy in my year with a booking down already so that kinda makes me gravitate towards it more.
    Also, I won't really know anyone from Cork other than maybe two or three people scattered around so wherever the friendly people are, point me in that direction!
    I think I remember seeing Vic Mills asking what kind of course you'd be doing so does that mean they group people accordingly? Also, someone told me that boys and girls don't end up sharing accommodation, as in it's not allocated that way? Surely that's not true!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Exothermic wrote: »
    I can't decide between Victoria Lodge and Victoria Mills! :P I've looked into a few. Castlewhite seems to be a definite no. I've looked into a few of the others but none of them have really taken my fancy.
    I hope to be doing Pharmacy come September so near enough to the Cavanagh building would be handy, and my backup choices consist of some more chemistry/biology based courses so I'm not too sure how far the various buildings are away from each other, but anyway :P
    I've heard that there's more of a community sense in Vic Lodge but the fire alarm is ongoing and they can be strict (but I wasn't told about what).
    In Victoria Mills it seems to be pretty good for student accommodation. Generally bigger than the other places. I know a guy in my year with a booking down already so that kinda makes me gravitate towards it more.
    Also, I won't really know anyone from Cork other than maybe two or three people scattered around so wherever the friendly people are, point me in that direction!
    I think I remember seeing Vic Mills asking what kind of course you'd be doing so does that mean they group people accordingly? Also, someone told me that boys and girls don't end up sharing accommodation, as in it's not allocated that way? Surely that's not true!?

I'm in Vic Lodge if youve any question. Feel free to PM me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Sorry for the double post but how reliable is the campus accom website for giving houses? I've found a house but are the recommendations good or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lydsom

can anyone tell me if there is broadband in brookfield? and if it's reliable?
    oh and wireless :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Exothermic wrote: »

Id go with Vic Mills, closer to campus, bigger living area/kitchen, right beside centra

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Exuberant

lydsom wrote: »
    can anyone tell me if there is broadband in brookfield? and if it's reliable?
    oh and wireless :p

My friends always complain about the broadband in brookfield! One of my friend's housemates has to sit on the top of the stairs to get good reception! It seems really awkward! Most of my friends have 3 broadband and that seems a far better choice over paying for brookfield broadband!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Strongly thinking about Victoria Mills, but I'm wondering how it compares to Brookfield, especially price wise? Vic Mills is about 5500 including deposit, Brookfield is 96 per week apparently, but does that include bills and stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 eggineer

Right, im going into 2nd year and amn't sure what to do

Should i go for Uni Hall or get a house with a load of randomers?

I want to meet loads more people, which would be better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭UnionOfV

Out of curiosity, are more houses available for sharing before or after the summer? Because I've been looking around for the past month and I'm surprised how little there is...

(As an aside trying to convince professionals you're not a party animal isn't fun! :pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 engizmo

Hey guys, new to this whole thing, am moving into Vic Mills next year and hopefully will be living with my friend too, but have a question- she applied for a deluxe room in the complex, whereas I applied for the standard room. Can we still be in the same apartment?

Basically, are the deluxe rooms and standard rooms in separate apartments or are they found in the same apartments together? :confused:

Advertisement