Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bumper Accomodation Thread *Put ALL Accomodation queries here*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tillyb

Fourth person wanted for a choice between two houses, one on college road across from the nook 75 a week not including bills or internet but its savage! Other house on gillabbey street is 80 including internet. Going to try get one or the other but need a fourth housemate first. Will be sharing with two 2nd year girls and a 3rd year lad. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

yeah internet in brookfield is god awful even for browsing- 3g modems not much better. As regards vic mills u can share an apartment- just a limited number of deluxe rooms. Brookfield were very kind as regards bills when i stayed there- they gave a lot of the deposit back. Brookfield is best option if u don`t need decent internet- vic mills otherwise imo. I stayed at the spires as well- not to be recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Dave47 wrote: »
    Brookfield is best option if u don`t need decent internet- vic mills otherwise imo. I stayed at the spires as well- not to be recommended

Vic Mills seems like it's far more expensive than Brookfield, surely the better internet isn't worth that much extra money?

njd2010 wrote: »
    Vic Mills seems like it's far more expensive than Brookfield, surely the better internet isn't worth that much extra money?

That depends. I trade shares and play poker in my sparetime- not fun getting disconnected in Brookfield when theres a few hundred on the line! Also better apartments in vic mills- dishwasher and pretty good kitchens etc.

since so many people wondering about Brookfields internet I`ll give the lowdown- it is ONE router for the entire complex and the ISP is eircom (lol). They didn`t even bother to get the fastest option either and I`m pretty sure the office use it as well. In a word, terribad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Dave47 wrote: »
    That depends. I trade shares and play poker in my sparetime- not fun getting disconnected in Brookfield when theres a few hundred on the line! Also better apartments in vic mills- dishwasher and pretty good kitchens etc.

Internet is extremely important for me too... I still might go with Brookfield though, Adding on the cost of a decent WiMax plan still makes it a lot cheaper (unless I'm miscalculating something,€96 per week for 39 weeks=3744 vs Vic Mills €4875 for a year?)... Vic Mills apartments sure are nice though...

njd2010 wrote: »
    Internet is extremely important for me too... I still might go with Brookfield though, Adding on the cost of a decent WiMax plan still makes it a lot cheaper (unless I'm miscalculating something,€96 per week for 39 weeks=3744 vs Vic Mills €4875 for a year?)... Vic Mills apartments sure are nice though...

Yeah i thought about that but I can assure you Imagine Wimax is really really bad- a lot of people on boards have given out about it... arguably worse than 3g at times- am if you are going to brookfield the 10 euro a month o2 deal would prob be best- i mean its ok most of the time to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 orlaih

hey, ya im booked into vic lodge for this year and im just wondering whats the deal with like people staying over or house parties and that? how strict are they about them and stuff? any other comments on the place will be cool too!! :D thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

orlaih wrote: »
    hey, ya im booked into vic lodge for this year and im just wondering whats the deal with like people staying over or house parties and that? how strict are they about them and stuff? any other comments on the place will be cool too!! :D thanks!

Hey. You have to sign people in if they are stayin over but generally people never do so your grand. House parties they can get strict on em if you get caught. So as long as the wardens dont hear you you'll be grand :P

Any other questions feel free to PM me and I'll get back to you no bother!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 colourmebad

The_D_Man wrote: »
    Is there any negatives to Farranlea Hall besides the ****ty couches?

Yeah, you can easily be robbed at any time because for years now they haven't done anything with the doors that can easily be kicked in or pushed in even by girls! I know lots of people that had their stuff stolen and Emma B., the office worker, did absolutely nothing but accused everyone of having parties and having their friends stealing things!

Stay away from this place and do yourselves a huge favour.4,5 grand is lots of money, go somewhere else and at least be nicely treated, because the level of customer service is shockingly low in this hell hole.

• Advertisement

ciaradx wrote: »
    Anybody know anything about Davcon Court? :)

Hell NO!

very old building, mould everywhere (they keep painting over it), Internet very slow (you're actually lucky if you'll have it at all), bedrooms very poorly equipped, as far as I've been told run by the same people as Farranlea ad the spires, so avoid it at all costs! there's no reception on site so nothing gets done.

Vic lodge and university hall is nice and the receptionists are waaaay nicer!

sensei28 wrote: »
    On accomodation, please tell everyone you know to avoid Victoria Station. I know an email was sent to all ucc students by one of the residents but some people seen to think that just one person has a gripe with the accomodation. This is not true.

The vast majority of apartments have serious problems with damp, particularly the apartments on the top floor. As time goes by this will spread down to all floors of the building. This is due to poor ventilation and bad building work. It has nothing whatsoever to do with "the way the building is used" as suggested by the management company. Many of the rooms which are damp, have mould in them.

Parking is costing €950 for 9 months and the spaces provided for students are actually owned by businesses in the area.

Both the washing machine (singular) and the dryers cost €1 for every 15 mins use. Most cycles are at least 1h 30 mins for a decent wash and a good 1hr is needed in the dryer. So its cost at least €10 to wash clothes and all machines are set to lock at the end of the cycle so you need to put in an extra €1 to unlock them and get back out your clothes.

The walls are paper thin, the front doors could be pushed in by a 2 year old. There is no security provided, contrary to advertisement.

This year they are charging €4,400 and next year they want a staggering €5,300 for the 9 months. The staff in the management company are rude and very unhelpful and regularly resort to bad language and aggressive behaviour when anyone raises any issues in relation to the apartment.

I could actually go on and on but simply request that you tell all your friends to avoid this complex and other complexes being built by this company. I for one certainly wouldnt want anyone to have to put up with this next year.

PS: I am not a first year but this company seems to target 1st years. Pass the word around and beware.

It seems that Farranlea has a twin! and bad language also seems to be spreading around Victoria Cross area. Those people think they can swear at everyone and i have only two words for the likes of them: Customer SERVICE, without customers you would//t even be able to pay your bills, so respect them!

MariaBlaah wrote: »
    Farranlea looks really nice in the pictures on the website... Is it actually like that? And the price! Is it 5800 or is that just me?! Do you get 750 back at the end of the year? It says that that 750 is a deposite? but 450 is utilities? Although, (surprisingly) I'v heard really good things about CW from a number of people this year (despite a broken shower :P) and it seems to be a good bit cheaper? And its on the gate! What's the craic like there though? I know the post previously said that there isn't much but is that everyones experience? Or does it just depend on who youre living with! I have a few friends going down to Cork aswell but we're all going living in different places so as to met more people!

Please avoid Farranlea. You are supposed to get 250 deposit back but they will rob you blind for any "rubbish" left in the apartment, any spots that were actualy there on walls or carpets, they just didn't bother to do something with it, there's mould everywhere - they just paint over it but it will come out again and again, there's vomit in every single carpet and every single couch, those cushions look as if they have never been cleaned, have spillages and burn marks on them. The door can be pushed open by a two year old, so you WILL be robbed at some point. The woman at reception, Emma Buckley, is extremely aggressive and rude and the more you complaint or ask about things, the meaner she gets and eventually looses it and shouts at everyone. The apartments are dirty on move in, everythign is old and not replaced for years. Internet is extremely slow and you get kick out all the time.For all the money you pay its not worth it so I would strongly advise to go somewhere else to save yourselves the hassle of some mean and unprofessional office worker taking all her problems on you!

websites say Farranlea is 5 min walk to college and Victoria Station is short walk - is that really true or is it creative advertising

That is simply a lie. Farranlea is at least 15 minutes walk from the college and that's when you walk fast, I know cause i've done it before. Now when the sun shines it's grand, but imagine the rainy months.... not so great! Vic Station is about 7 minutes from college. Farranlea would be 7-8 minutes alk from vis station.

Def not true! Farranlea is by far the furthest away of all the student accommodation, Victoria Station is more or less beside it so much of a muchness! Im going to say 15/20 mins depending on what part of the campus ur goin to. Might be a bit shorter going the orchard road way but defo not 5 mins anyway!

Totally agree, it's at least 15 minutes through orchard road and that's if you walk pretty fastso a bunch of lies on their website, they had 10 minutes but changed it to 5 a few months ago, probably to encourage people to book. Castle white is 5 minutes away from college, whatever is 5 minutes walk must be on campous and farranlea is NOT on campus, so lies lies lies...

It was about a fiver in Farranlea too. It was cheaper if you didn't bother with the tumble dryer though. I think everywhere charges the about the same, apart from Vic Station, which was free.

They do charge more or less the same because they ring each other up and agree on one price so that everyone's the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 helen001

Booked Brookfield cus I want to do Nursing :)
    Anyone else the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭chimpo85

Evening...new to boards.ie and hopefully will be new to UCC. Have applied for a masters in ecology...

Im hoping to get accomodation very near to the college and with postgrads also...any tips!?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ThatFancyChap

chimpo85 wrote: »
    Evening...new to boards.ie and hopefully will be new to UCC. Have applied for a masters in ecology...

Im hoping to get accomodation very near to the college and with postgrads also...any tips!?

Cheers

I'd also like to know the best place for UCC accomodation. I applied for an undergrad course in Physics, so anywhere near campus with prices around 350 a month that can be recommended? Some places around College Road look cheap, but not sure about what kind of people I'll be living with.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

I'd also like to know the best place for UCC accomodation. I applied for an undergrad course in Physics, so anywhere near campus with prices around 350 a month that can be recommended? Some places around College Road look cheap, but not sure about what kind of people I'll be living with.

Houses for 350 a month near college will be gone already. You have to look early but still have a look through http://www.ucc.ie/services/propertyManager/house_search/ there might be something there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

anyone got anything to say about university hall? the good and the bad :) ill be staying there next year so want to know what im in for.
    also is there any photos anywhere of it inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hevsuit

teddy b123 wrote: »
    anyone got anything to say about university hall? the good and the bad :) ill be staying there next year so want to know what im in for.
    also is there any photos anywhere of it inside?

So am I! Found this video of some persons recording of an apartment.
    http://vimeo.com/1712129

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 kgalway

I have recently been accepted to study in the child and family law LLM in UCC. starting in September 2011.
    I am not familiar with Cork or UCC, so I was wondering if anyone would have any advise as to where would be the best places to start looking for accommodation? I am 25, female and would require parking also! I was also wondering is all the college accommodation (as with NUIG) full of first years? Not that there's anything wrong with first years but gone a bit past that stage now! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭UnionOfV

kgalway wrote: »
    I am 25, female and would require parking also! I was also wondering is all the college accommodation (as with NUIG) full of first years? Not that there's anything wrong with first years but gone a bit past that stage now! :-)
    There does tend to be more first years in college accommodation, and they aren't the quietest of places. I'd have a look in the sharing section of daft.ie, there are a lot of houses with single girls in their 20s around Cork that are advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 kgalway

UnionOfV wrote: »
    There does tend to be more first years in college accommodation, and they aren't the quietest of places. I'd have a look in the sharing section of daft.ie, there are a lot of houses with single girls in their 20s around Cork that are advertising.

Thanks, yeah I've looked at daft but not a whole lot there yet for this coming September. Also, not knowing Cork that well, I'm not sure where are the best areas to look! Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Gavarn

Hey, Just wanting to know a bit more about The Village accommodation for first years!

I was told that first years are put separate to the other years that stay there. Are the first year apartments like the photos that are on the website?

If anyone could give me more info on what the five bed apartments are like it'd be great!
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 engizmo

Gavarn wrote: »
    Hey, Just wanting to know a bit more about The Village accommodation for first years!

I was told that first years are put separate to the other years that stay there. Are the first year apartments like the photos that are on the website?

If anyone could give me more info on what the five bed apartments are like it'd be great!
    Thanks

Spent a lot of time with my friends in the Village, they were living in a 5 bedroom apartment, first years are generally put together, unless a request is made to live with a specific person who might be in a higher year- this is handy if you are a repeat student and want to live with your friends who are a year ahead! The five bedroom apartments are the ones I was often in, all with first years. They are not as nice as what the photos show unfortunately, with the bedrooms being slightly smaller than shown in the photos- however there was one larger room with a double bed in the apartments. The kitchen area is not as straightforward as the pictures show either- my friends apartment had two fridges and a standalone freezer in there taking up room in the living and kitchen area. The Village are quite strict about having house parties, with Gerry coming in and kicking everyone out fairly early on, and he gets quite moody if you have people to stay too often- much easier to get away with these things in a place like Brookfield- security become quite lax there very quickly I found, which was great for first year. Both places have issues with dampness on the ground floors. Having lived in Bookfield myself and having stayed in the Village after a few drunken nights during the college year, I and my friends living in the Village agree that Brookfield is a better option for first years. The internet in the Village is wired, not wireless, usually slow and many sites are blocked- including the UCC timetable lookup on http://timetable.ucc.ie, which is ridiculous. The internet in Brookfield is unreliable also, but it is wireless and there aren't any blocked sites apart from The PirateBay, which can be bypassed via a proxy like hidemyass.com . The Village blocks proxy sites, the Village apartments have a slightly larger living area than the brookfield houses, and the Village kitchen/living area is about twice the size of the Brookfield apartments on the ground floor of the blocks. In Brookfield all the rooms have a sink and mirror which is handy when someone is in the jax and you need to have a shave or brush your teeth or whatever, and the Village bedrooms have a mirror but no sink. Five bedroom apartments at the Village have a toilet, and also a bathroom with shower and second toilet.
    Either place is good for a first year. They're both good places for getting to know people when you're starting off in college, but if I was given the opportunity to choose first year accommodation again, I would still choose Brookfield.

Now after sharing all that, I have a question myself :DI'm filling out my Vic Mills resident form, and it asks how big an apartment I would like to live in- Does anybody know what is the best size apartment to live in, to have the most space in? For things like the living area and the notorious issue of fridge space? There's a choice for anywhere between a 3 and 7 bedroom apartment. Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭nirzenra

Hiya :) I'm a female, 2nd year Arts student looking for a double bedroom in a house near college from September. Anybody have a spare room going in their place, gimme an aul PM.
    Thanks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

Hey, I'm like the poster above; I'm a male second year Arts student looking for a single room in house near the college in September. If anybody has a spare room, then feel free to PM me. Thanks.

Brian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Aoi

Hey. My friend & I are looking for people to share with, we need two more. We've found a place in gillabbey terrace (off gillabbey street, behind subway). Anyway, we can't move in or anything until we get two more people to share with. If anybody's interested can you give me a pm. Currently it's guy & girl (both science second years), so we don't mind about guy or girl. 350 pm plus bills, and you'd be less than 10 mins from college.
    Edit: We also don't really care what you're doing in college or the year you're in, we just want a couple of people to share with.

Advertisement