Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bumper Accomodation Thread *Put ALL Accomodation queries here*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

A dump. The only decent thing about it are the double beds.

You won't find anything in the way of college accommodation at this stage. It's all booked out months in advance. Your best bet is to try and find a house somewhere around College Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fair_bad

Can't seem to find any info except what's on the website about Abbey Wharf on North Mall!

Anybody have any experience at all of this place? :)

I'd SERIOUSLY appreciate it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 buntyfoul

To be honest its great craic if you know the people you are living with other than that has nothing going for it. Lived there the last two years and the staff/wardens are a bit of a joke. got very little of our deposit back for petty reasons and to be honest I wouldn't live there again. Only thing is close proximity to college and thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭figs86

Hi guys,

Looking to get in touch with classmates who are starting the Graduate Medicine course in UCC in the next couple of weeks (on Monday Week!)

I'll be moving to Cork from Dublin and while I have student accommodation booked, as a mature student I'd prefer to live in private accommodation.

So if anyone else is looking for rented accommodation, I've already viewed a few places that I like but I'm open to suggestion!

PM me if you're interested. I'm currently in Dublin and will be back down to Cork soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 I Sleep Diagonal

Thanks, I don't think I would be interested in student accommodation anyway, too noisy and expensive! I had a look at daft, not many people on it yet but maybe nearer September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ciars2010

Is north quay place that bad?? Its impossible to find a place that will do 3month leases! I was kinda hoping that north quay place would be nice.. i mean I'm not fussy at all if the room was cosy and had a nice desk id be happy! Any idea if there are other places that would have a three month lease, id love a house again..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Ciars2010 wrote: »
    Is north quay place that bad?? Its impossible to find a place that will do 3month leases! I was kinda hoping that north quay place would be nice.. i mean I'm not fussy at all if the room was cosy and had a nice desk id be happy! Any idea if there are other places that would have a three month lease, id love a house again..

I just looked at North Quay Place's website and the apartment shown looks considerably better than the two I lived in or the two I visited. Perhaps it's been done up since I lived there. Might be worth a look. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if they did up just one of the apartments just for the purposes of making the place look decent online. Those two at reception have fúck all else to do so just drop in and ask someone to show you around. Like I say, it might have changed. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 chantal08

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 chantal08

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭imbroglio

Hi,

I'm moving to Cork in September to start a postgraduate course too! I havent' sorted anything out re: accomodation but PM me if you want and I can pass on anything relevant when I start searching soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 meeney78

vic mills or brookfield are the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 skittlesej

Does anyone know anything about Sheraton Lodge? Today's the first I heard about it, know anyone who's lived there? I'm desperate for accommodation at the moment :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

for your own sanity please dont go for farranlea, i lived there last year and it was horrible!! they'll screw you out of your money, the doors dont lock so you get robbed( my ipod got robbed and my neighbours laptop got robbed). the manager is a b***! the rooms are small, the furniture is crap and its very noisy!

I'm sorry you had a bad experience there; I lived in arranlea for a year and though it was grand. The furniture is uncomfortable alright but the my room/ensuite were both grand. And we had a huge kitchen/living area consdering there was only three of us living there.

Glad to see good comments about Brookfield; I'm moving into Jenning's Pool in September (originally searched for a house but couldn't find anything decent, so me and my housemate said 'screw it' and just went with Jenning's Pool)

kay!wilde wrote: »
    i've looked through previous posts on college accommodation in cork, but i'm still undecided about where to go for first year :confused:

i've pretty much narrowed it down to brookfield and farenlea, can someone please tell me what the difference between the two is, pros and cons, and suggest any other places if you think these two are no good.

thanks so much for your help

-kay
    x

Sorry to point out the obvious, but college accomodation is booked out months in advance. You'll probably be put on a waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

College Road ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

dorgasm wrote: »
    College Road ftw

Yeah thats where all the mature students live... This the same odorgasm from Youtube?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Glad to see good comments about Brookfield; I'm moving into Jenning's Pool in September (originally searched for a house but couldn't find anything decent, so me and my housemate said 'screw it' and just went with Jenning's Pool)

You should like it, Jennings Pool is pretty sweet. Did you get the ensuite room?

I lived there last year and had the double ensuite room. Its freakin huge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Nah, just a single room. Double ensuite would have been sweet alright but I need to save money wherever possible; I'm gonna be short of money for a bit until my grant cheques come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭2mature

Hi,

I am also going to be attending UCC as a mayure student this year but I am from cork city...I would recommend Turners cross , deerpark , Ballinlough....you could cycle or walk from turners cross or deerpark or cycle from balllinlough...parking is a nightmare in ucc aparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Dave47 wrote: »
    Yeah thats where all the mature students live... This the same odorgasm from Youtube?

Ha, nah my youtube account is my real name, why do you ask?! That was tongue in cheek anyway, i've never lived on College Rd, just knew it wasn't the place for mature students at all! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

Out of Brookfield and Farranlea, Brookfield would definitely be my first choice too.

I stayed in Farranlea last year and I hated the place for the following reasons:
    • crap internet
    • crap furniture
    • fire alarm constantly going off in the middle of the night
    • apathetic, occasionally quite rude management
    • my security deposit took an undeserved hammering at the end of the year

More than any of that it's just too far away from the main campus (not that I was there all that much, being a maths student) and the city centre. The old cliché "location, location, location" really does ring true when you find yourself trudging for twenty minutes in the wind and rain to get to the library in the evening, or worse- a lecture first thing in the morning.

Brookfield is a fair bit cheaper than Farranlea in any case, and in my opinion Farranlea really doesn't have enough to offer to justify the extra money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

To be honest, I thought it was very good

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

Don't stay there, not worth it. I'd rather walk an extra five minutes than spend my downtime there.

PS Remember it got very badly flooded last November and whilst that was a freak flooding, nothing exactly has been done since. Think of all your stuffs?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ricadoo

As the title says - is it too lto find accomodation now or will there still be places available?
    I could really use a hand as to where to find good accomodation at this late stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Marina-anseo

You will still be able to find accommodation but the prices have gone up by now. Expect to pay €350+ a month for houses not including bills. Student accommodation complexes may still have places but a lot of them work out at about €500+ a month inc bills and either a complete upfront payment or per term payments.
    Try www.daft.ie or www.rent.ie or the ucc student accommodation office

http://www.collegeroad.ie/welfare/where-to-look.html

best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ricadoo

Thanks a lot for the advice Marina - much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 myImage

I think the Summerhill/Wellington road/St lukes are of the city is perfect if you are looking for a place a little outside town but within easy distance. Its a 15 min bike ride to UCC but still feels like being away from the bustle of town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Try the accommodation office as said above, I'd say your best shot now is for a house rather than student accommodation, but if you want to put your name down for student accommodation waiting lists, do it before Wednesday! Cancellations will start then if people know they haven't got the points or requirements, and people who might've applied elsewhere but don't get it and UCC is their second choice will start applying for accommodation, so get in on the list before them!
    Good luck:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

To be fair, Uni Hall and Vic Mills flooded too.
    Castlewhite's also much cheaper than Vic Mills anyway, and the rooms are bigger than most in other complexes. I lived there for first year, didn't see anything wrong with it. Good if you're in first year definitely, for meeting people.

Advertisement