Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just baked my first Bread

• 29-01-2007 12:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

I did it the lazy way!! I got a morphy richards compact bread maker with kneading blade last week.
    So this week i went shopping for ingredients. Got everything i need but also got some of those pre-mix packs.
    Throw in 250ml of water, pour in the mix, add 2 tsp of fast acting yeast and put bread maker on basic setting (3 hours) and then i watched top gear and 24 :D
    It was finished during the second 24 and it was lovely!! It was a pre mix mediteranian so it had tomato and herbs etc.

Now im going to get fat on bread :D
    Oh and it makes cakes and jam too :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

That's not real baking :D [/snob]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

With pre-mix packs?

Pour mix into bowl
    Add water.
    Quick mix with spoon, into loaf tin.
    Pop into oven.
    Decide how to spend money saved on not buying a bread machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Bread machines scare me. I haven't looked at one, but I try really hard not to accumulate gadgets like that. I have a hand blender, which is well used. I have a jug blender, which is reasonably well used. I have a juicer, which was well used for a long time and was then somewhat abandoned. I have a sandwich maker, because sometimes toasted tuna melt sandwiches are all I can be bothered to make. I don't own any other gadgets, apart from the standard kettle-toaster-microwave combo.

That's a lie actually - but we only own a George Foreman grill because my mum in law bought one for hubby (after I said I wouldn't buy one). It gets used for one thing only - home-made hamburgers. The GFG is useful in a small flat for things where you'd otherwise use a griddle pan, because it's less smoky and won't trigger the fire alarms. Personally I believe it ruins rashers and sausages and I it's just not a replacement for the grill.

Bread machines scare me because I could see myself using it daily for three days, then using it weekly for the rest of the month, then it'll gather dust. If I want oven-fresh bread, I'll either make the effort to do it myself, or go to the bakery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

That's a lie actually - but we only own a George Foreman grill because my mum in law bought one for hubby (after I said I wouldn't buy one).

Hang on are you a girl??:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Agree with you about the accumulation of gadgets though, my bread making is too sporadic to merit an investment like that. Though I'm sure its great and works and everything, just not for me. I like the fact that it makes cakes and jam though OP, that makes it interesting in my (hugely fickle and subjective) eyes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Brian, I like gadgets myself, but for jam all you need is a pot.I don't see the attraction.

One thing that gets used sporadically before finding it's way to the back of the cupboard, next to the fondue set, is my pasta maker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

First time I heard of them was when Marge/Homer has a bread maker maker.

Then I came here and found out they are not just something weird from a cartoon.

Home made bread is the beast. My gran used to make great homemade brown bread each week.
    She has took her recipe to the grave 13yrs ago... :( I miss her bread.

Advertisement