Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you want a career with that?

• 29-01-2007 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Anyone else see this McDonalds add? ''Choose a career with McDonalds, good pay, flexible hours and a chance to learn some new management skills''

Me ballix:rolleyes:

Is there anyone who would take this seriously?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Lol the funniest part is when they are playin football and he says "do u want fries with that" lol! takin the piss outta themselves, thank god im in college is all ill say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

ha ha, an auld mate of mine is the main fella in that

actually, anyone got it on video?? few people i'd like to show it to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Was in school with the guy who does the piss-taking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Lol the funniest part is when they are playin football and he says "do u want fries with that" lol! takin the piss outta themselves, thank god im in college is all ill say!

I second that.I thank god your in collage as well.

I don't want anyone who doesn't at least know the fundamentals of chaos theory flipping my burgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

I think the ad is great. A job in McDonalds is often a stepping stone to management in McDonalds or in some other Business. People who have narrow views of the many options for career paths are both stupid and narrow minded and I wouldn't want to employ them with or without a degree. The good old fashioned concept of being willing to work is far more important than mere qualifications.

ps I dont have any connection with McDonalds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Got to agree with sierra, getting managment experience can be tough for some ppl, Mc Donalds can be the answer. From a companies perspective they dont judge on who you worked for they look more at what your role encompassed.

Friend of mine was a Branch manager for Mc donalds in London and was on £27,000 a year. Not too shabby.

The ads are cheesy all the same.

Yeah but they get their message across !
    apart from that tbh in recent year's management is prob the only job you'd see an Irish person in Mc Donald's in !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

good pay
    Good for the fast food industry I suppose :rolleyes:
    flexible hours
    Yeah flexible for them.
    and a chance to learn some new management skills
    And an even greater chance that you'll get píssed off and quit long before you're ever promoted off the mop.

Ehh, d'yeh want to mop up sick with tha'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Friend of mine was a Branch manager for Mc donalds in London and was on £27,000 a year. Not too shabby

He was still a manager in Maccy D's though;) Hardly a hit with that ladies! heh heh...

And £27k a year is not exactly amazing for a management position, especially for a whole branch!! Besides, it would take years to work your way up to branch manager in one of these places. What a waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

LundiMardi wrote:
    He was still a manager in Maccy D's though;) Hardly a hit with that ladies! heh heh...

And £27k a year is not exactly amazing for a management position, especially for a whole branch!! Besides, it would take years to work your way up to branch manager in one of these places. What a waste.

I think €40k+ is a good salary and I assume you have no idea how long it would take to reach that level. As for the comment about being a hit with the ladies - ffs are you 12?

• Advertisement

LundiMardi wrote:

Are you on that kind of money?

I wouldnt want to go out with a lady who judged me on my career choice!

I'm taking this thread with a huge pinch of salt....(unnarrow that mind LundiMardi)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

lol, McManager :D

wow sierra wrote:
    I think €40k+ is a good salary and I assume you have no idea how long it would take to reach that level. As for the comment about being a hit with the ladies - ffs are you 12?
    Jaysis, what crawled up your ass?

I was lucky enough to work in Burger King when i went to school, so i think i may know more than you on the subject. And yes, it would take years to reach that level. And no, for the amount of work involved and a wage cap of around 40k, i don't think it's a very good wage. Not in this day and age.

Are you on that kind of money?

I wouldnt want to go out with a lady who judged me on my career choice!

I'm taking this thread with a huge pinch of salt....(unnarrow that mind LundiMardi)

Why yes, yes i am, i earn approx £27,001 per annum.

LundiMardi wrote:
    Why yes, yes i am, i earn approx £27,001 per annum.

....Case closed.

....Case closed.
    Stephen, if you're looking for serious replies to moronic questions, then you may be in the wrong place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Lots of fast food restaurant employees posting in this thread i think

LundiMardi wrote:
    Stephen, if you're looking for serious replies to moronic questions, then you may be in the wrong place.

Dont start a moronic thread then.

Dont start a moronic thread then.
    ......?

O...... k.......

CiaranC wrote:
    Lots of fast food restaurant employees posting in this thread i think
    If there is......ahem can i have fries with that???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

KamiKazi wrote:
    lol, McManager :D
    Lol !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Where's the beef?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Where's the beef?

Certainly not in the burgers anyway.

Speaking of which, if a Quarterpounder can be called Royale with Cheese in Paris then why can't "French Fries" just be called "chips" over here?

I'd don't want large fries with that. I want a bleedin bag of chips.

I'll take seriously the first branch manager that sorts out that particular problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Rawr!

So true... LOL...

and then they did that promotion of actual chips there a while back... just thick fries like... but the ad was somethin like "for those who always order chips"

So I goes in one day... and specifically sed "Can I have large FRIES please?" Being all nice and whatnot... and what did they give me..... the freakin chips..... Thats some listenin to the customers fer ya anyways.....

lol

XD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Pigman II wrote:
    why can't "French Fries" just be called "chips" over here?

Because they are different. Frenching is a form of cutting.

Don't know why anyone would seek a career in McD. I mean the term "McJob" exists for a reason.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Hobbes wrote:

Don't know why anyone would seek a career in McD. I mean the term "McJob" exists for a reason.

But they also have "Mc Passport" as well which is good for the carrer mind McDonald's employee who wants to work abroad.

There maybe other cynical people out there that might have other opinions on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

There's also the point that the add makes it quite obvious that if you work in McDonalds, all your friends will laugh at you. Then who the hell would want to work there if that's the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Its a job, if you need a job then you'll take this job. I really try to avoid slagging any job/proffession for fear that I might end up in a situation where I'll be forced to eat my own words.*

Oh and €40,000p/a is a helluva lot more money than any supermarket manager I've known to be on (local country store, not city centre).

A friend from school worked in a local Cost Cutter shop through school, college and finally (through lack of options) took a full time job there. After 7 years working there, he is the store manager and is on a little over €30k.

I know which way I'd go if they were the only two options presented to me ;)

*Apart from teachers, they live the life of reilly and then give out about it. Whats with that :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

They're seriously funny ads and they do their job well.

Whatever happened to the name badges with the stars on them? You were screwed if you got the cabbage with no stars serving you!!!

I personally wouldn't have considered a job there when I left school....but....if I was in a situation where I needed a job then I'd have to consider all options. When you reach manager status, is there a HO where you can be promoted too or is there franchise options?

ROFLMFAO @ McManager :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Career my arse. Store managers rake it in mind, the hierarchy structure is basically

Franchiser- We`re talking high six figures per year minimum
    Area Manager- The guy employed by the franchiser to overlook, lets say, 2 or 3 restaurents. Grad money
    Store manager- more big money, Id say 40K upwards
    Deputy manager- Now, here is where we go downhill. They get about a tenner per hour. Not the worst, but in terms of deputy managers in most firms its bollix, most places have a higher bottom of ladder starting wage
    Floor/shift managers- they get paid litreally a few dozen cents more than the normal crew over 19
    Crew- 19 and over are on min wage. 15-17 are on something mad like 6 euro.

So basically, if your the boss its a respectable job, in all honesty I think most people would quite respect the position of head manager of a large fast food store. However, below head manager people are just being used. I worked in the place for a bit, its honestly the best laugh you will ever have in a workplace. Mad crowd, nobody gives a bollix, yil make some great mates there. But the pay is ****e, the work is hard and you dont get a minute to yourself.

As for the McPassport.......jaysus. Whether its a mackers in Clondalkin or California, the pay will be ****e and you still go home smelling of old grease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Ah cool, thanks for the breakdown in hierarchy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Read Fast Food Nation and you will never eat/work in mcdonalds again. And its not all to do with the food...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

TBH faceman, a lot of the main arguments of Fast Food Nation just don't hold up outside the U.S.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Sleepy wrote:
    TBH faceman, a lot of the main arguments of Fast Food Nation just don't hold up outside the U.S.

and why's that?

For a start our slaughterhouses aren't anything like those in the states, there's no growth hormone in our meat and the same exploitation of workers isn't as easy to get away with in Ireland as it is the U.S.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Rawr!

anyone watch that film? Supersize me...

LOL

I nearly puked right there and then on me couch...

Sleepy wrote:
    For a start our slaughterhouses aren't anything like those in the states, there's no growth hormone in our meat and the same exploitation of workers isn't as easy to get away with in Ireland as it is the U.S.

Whats your point? Its still the same company with the same values.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

to be honest i dont know how anyone would eat or work in a place that has its "own smell" ,as in i find the smell of mcdonalds food to be repulsive, can get it from about 100yards any side of an outlet, no matter what country its in,obviously something to do with the oils etc used. same can be said of burger king,subway etc.
    enough to keep me away from eating or applying for a job

It's the same franchise, but owned by different people, using different practices.

humanji wrote:
    It's the same franchise, but owned by different people, using different practices.

not entirely true. There are strict franchising rules if you open a McD's. Granted food suppliers may differ from region to region.

Any mcdonald workers care to share their stories?

• Advertisement

faceman wrote:
    Whats your point? Its still the same company with the same values.
    My point was that the food in an Irish McDonalds/Burger King/Generic Fast food resteraunt would be a lot safer to eat than it's American counterpart and like humanji points out, the franchisees here are different and operating under a different legal system than those in the states.

I'm not by any means defending McDonalds practices in the states just questioning your reasons for not eating/working there. TBH, I'd have to be pretty hard up to get a job in McDonalds (though I would do it rather than go on the dole) and only ever eat there occasionaly when I'm stuck without any better alternative but reading one book that's relevance to McDonalds in Ireland is extremely questionable and forming your opinion on that alone seems a little misguided to me.

Sleepy wrote:
    My point was that the food in an Irish McDonalds/Burger King/Generic Fast food resteraunt would be a lot safer to eat than it's American counterpart and like humanji points out, the franchisees here are different and operating under a different legal system than those in the states.

Thats a naive statement IMO. Do 100% of the profits in e.g. the irish frachise stay in the hands of the individual franchise owner in ireland. Just because the more serious issues are in the US, do we use that as an excuse?

(over 50% of mcdonald's revenues are from europe. Link here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

faceman wrote:
    not entirely true. There are strict franchising rules if you open a McD's. Granted food suppliers may differ from region to region.

Any mcdonald workers care to share their stories?
    Theres none, Im sorry to disappoint you all (well, theres stories, but it was more pranks on new staff rather than anything at all to do with the customers or food served).

For starters sauce dispensers are impregnable, so the next time someone tells you his cousin worked there and they used to make sweet love to the mayo before putting it on the burgers, its bollix I can assure you. Even if you wanted to the place is too rushed. In all fairness cleanliness and food quality is above everything else in there, and you used to get in pretty heavy ****e if you werent up to scratch.

Not the healthiest food, but its undeniably tasty.

Some further reading on mcdonald's operations in europe can be found here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

shane86 wrote:

Not the healthiest food, but its undeniably tasty.

I unequiovcally deny that statement-wouldn't eat in mcdonalds if I was starving.

faceman wrote:
    Sleepy wrote:

Thats a naive statement IMO. Do 100% of the profits in e.g. the irish frachise stay in the hands of the individual franchise owner in ireland. Just because the more serious issues are in the US, do we use that as an excuse?

(over 50% of mcdonald's revenues are from europe. Link here)
    What's naieve about my statement?

That Irish meat is safer to eat than American?
    That the people who own and manage the stores are different than those who own and manage the American stores?
    That under our legal system workers have more protection than Americans?

They're all facts afaik.

Or are you confusing naieve with just not caring about America's incarnation of McD's? America is a democratic country, if they don't care enough to elect a decent government (not that I'm saying we Irish people do, we've a pretty horrific record there ourselves), they can live with the consequences as far as I'm concerned.

Sleepy wrote:
    What's naieve about my statement?
    put simply, eating in mcdonalds generates revenue for top of the mcdonalds food chain (no pun intended!). i.e. A portion of the profits are repatriated to mcdonalds hq.

Re-read my post. It's not that I'm naieve. It's that I don't give a ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

it's not just a job though maccers it's a career

In fairness, if you follow any corporation up to it's top you'll find they're all owned by the same small group of corporations. Sure one of the companies involved in the Port Tunnel sold WMD's in Iraq. If you want to boycott all those corporations who are making money by dodgy means, you're going to have to do without a lot of things.

• Advertisement
Advertisement