Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[REQ] Eircom BB + Bittorrent speeds

Options
  • 29-01-2007 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

My speeds for bit torrent are a joke, have broadband a while now but never seem to get above 5kbps. Had a look at the port forwarding etc and have lowered my Netopia router(3347NWG) firewall to Low but it still crawls. im on the 2MB line.

Badly need some suggestions???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ciara22

mine is the same, the little icon down the bottom has never gone green either. I have the same router and also tried port forwarding which made it not work at all. i just wait the whole day for the download, but wish i didnt have to!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭dodgey69

My icon is green alright and have completed downloads but it takes 4-5 days running at about 2-3kbps on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 peterflln

i use bitcomit and i have no problem.i used to use bittorrent but got sick of its speeds too

cheers ill give that a go tonight and see if it improves things.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭SlyRax

I had teh same problem and I'm using bit lord now and I get much faster speeds going up to 200 - 250 on a 2mb line

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Speeds have alot to do with the source your getting them from as well, ideally you need more seeds then peers to get decent download speed

i always pick stuff with over a 1000 seeds but it nevre makes much of a difference.
    i will give bitlord and/or bitcomit a go this evening and see if that makes a difference. fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Know loads of people with eircom using bittorrent just fine. Turn on UPNP in the modem if you're having a lot of trouble, it'll do all the work for you.

UPNP is already turned on bittorrent still runs slow. tried bitlord at got speeds of 30kbps which is somewhat of an improvement although should be able to get it faster than that with a 2mb line. any other suggestions. Anything i need to tweak in bitlord to quicken it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Make sure you change the port that your Bit Torrent client is using. If you use the default port ISPs can throttle or block traffic altogether.

• Advertisement

i think i have changed that ages ago. how and what do i change it to?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

It doesn't really matter as long as it's not one of the know IP port numbers. Pick a number below 65535 and above say 2048.

Bit Comit isn't free though is it?

Advertisement