Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Korn unplugged, and actually sounding good.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

I'm looking forward to the full album,Especially the songs they do with the Cure.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Why would the Cure want to get involved with these clowns? And I heard Johnathon sings with the chick from Evanessence on Freak On A Leash...cheap. I liked the first 3 albums but they've been treading water for a decade now. And Davis is the epitome of a whiny little bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Thanks for that Karl, really enjoyed it. It defo puts a different spin on what is already a classic song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Den_M wrote:
    Why would the Cure want to get involved with these clowns?

I think because the Cure recognise their obvious talent.

The albums out on March 6th 2007 btw OP, apparently the same date as GNRs Chinese Democracy, which is weird cause Axl Rose's first public apperance since the 2002 was at a Korn album launch in Jan 06. I remember there was this whole thing about him discussing the album at that.

102-8587794-4754544?ie=UTF8&n=5174&s=music

On a slightly related note, fans of Unplugged Metal could do worse then direct their attention to KISS Unplugged. It was recorded around 95/96 with the original lineup (they dont wear their makeup) and also features 'current' members of the time Bruce Kulick and Eric Starr making guest apperances, thus the only album on which KISS officially had 6 members. On 'Beth' for example, KISS perform with Peter Criss on vocals and Eric Starr on drums.

You can pick it up dirt cheap on Amazon.com and despite the amount of bad albums since 1981s Creatures of the Night, this remains a pretty decent KISS album

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Den_M wrote:
    Why would the Cure want to get involved with these clowns? And I heard Johnathon sings with the chick from Evanessence on Freak On A Leash...cheap. I liked the first 3 albums but they've been treading water for a decade now. And Davis is the epitome of a whiny little bastard.

Korn arent really my cup of tea, but thats a very good arrangement of that song and despite the 'whinyness' you can see alot of effort and yes, shock f*cking horror, TALENT went into it too. It obvious you didnt actually watch the video here because it IS korn and amy lee from evanescence.
    Ive heard a few korn albums, and despite what anyone says they were all talented musicians (people slagging david silvieras drumming in the korn drummer thread obviously havent heard the drumming on thier debut album, its fantastic) and regardless of how much an individual might think they 'suck' or are 'talentless' you cant deny they gave metal a serious kick up the hole with thier debut, and metal was still living int he shadow of grunge back then (94). Hell, sepultura were so impressed with korn they completely copied thier sound for 'roots'

I used to like Korn quite a lot until they started repeating themselves over and over. Yes they were innvovative back in the day but that was over a decade ago. A band worth their salt wouldn't have turned out like they have. Besides this is the frickin' Cure we're talking about. You can't really draw comparisons between downtuned powerchords, weird noises and self-pitying lyrics (what Korn brought to the table essentially) and the amazing songs that the Cure wrote.

And since that was the video I mentioned then I'm glad I didn't waste my time loading it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Den_M wrote:
    You can't really draw comparisons between downtuned powerchords, weird noises and self-pitying lyrics (what Korn brought to the table essentially) and the amazing songs that the Cure wrote.

I don't really see anyone drawing comparisons between them at all? Maybe i am missing something here? Personally i like collaborations between bands/artists with pretty big differences between them.

Den_M wrote:
    I used to like Korn quite a lot until they started repeating themselves over and over. Yes they were innvovative back in the day but that was over a decade ago. A band worth their salt wouldn't have turned out like they have. Besides this is the frickin' Cure we're talking about. You can't really draw comparisons between downtuned powerchords, weird noises and self-pitying lyrics (what Korn brought to the table essentially) and the amazing songs that the Cure wrote.

And since that was the video I mentioned then I'm glad I didn't waste my time loading it.

Repetaing themselves?....so did you listen to their new album, you may not like it but it is nothing like they have done before.

Tell us how you think they should have turned out?

It's up to the band themselves to keep it fresh, it doesn't matter what I expect from them. Metallica always said that they play music for themselves first, not the fans. The first time I head that I thought it sounded a bit selfish but it's really not. Deftones and Korn were two of the first bands of that kind, but Deftones have always kept things interesting and new. The new album sounded really fresh when i heard it. TALITM was as full of over the top effects and production with the sam subject matter (except that awful single 'Y'all want a single?'), just like the few before that.

edit - must a proper listen to 'take a look in the mirror'.only heard bits from it

• Advertisement

Den_M wrote:
    It's up to the band themselves to keep it fresh, it doesn't matter what I expect from them. Metallica always said that they play music for themselves first, not the fans. The first time I head that I thought it sounded a bit selfish but it's really not. Deftones and Korn were two of the first bands of that kind, but Deftones have always kept things interesting and new. The new album sounded really fresh when i heard it. TALITM was as full of over the top effects and production with the sam subject matter (except that awful single 'Y'all want a single?'), just like the few before that.

edit - must a proper listen to 'take a look in the mirror'.only heard bits from it

:confused::confused::confused: TALITM isn't their last album, See you on the other side is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i actually like this, there was one thing that really irratated me about korn and it was their bass sound. it just sounded so crappy but it's really toned down in this and they make the song work really well acoustically.

Beekay wrote:
    :confused::confused::confused: TALITM isn't their last album, See you on the other side is

Sorry, I meant to say I must have a proper listen of 'See you on the other side'.

Den_M wrote:
    Sorry, I meant to say I must have a proper listen of 'See you on the other side'.

:D:D:D oh right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

yall wanna single was a single from take a look in the mirror, the singles from see you on the other side were coming undone and twisted transistor.

got the album of my brother for crimbo, listened to it once and now its gone.

Cremo wrote:
    i actually like this, there was one thing that really irratated me about korn and it was their bass sound. it just sounded so crappy but it's really toned down in this and they make the song work really well acoustically.

I agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

I used to love Korn when i was a kid as i am sure many people on here did, but just grew out of them. Last year I did see them do an unplugged thingfor I think aol though and i was fairly impressed with how they converted their songs to acoustic. Just out of curiosity, any news on Head2Christ??

dimerocks wrote:
    any news on Head2Christ??

I heard his beard was upgraded to a class 2 relic

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

LOL - the beard wasn't doing the business, so it's moved :)

Anyway, Korn. Their first album should be taught in school! It was (as mentioned) a serious kick in the arse for metal and timing wise, things were good. Nu Metal started with Korn, Deftones etc after the path had been paved with the likes of Rage Against The Machine, Cypress Hill and the grunge era etc.

I'm not a fan of their more recent work and to be honest and overall the content of their tunes is a bit "mbleh" at times, but as musicians, they are/were rather good (they've had some line-up changes haven't they? I'll check Wiki later :)). I really really liked the guitar style and sound that Head and Munkey had going on (seriously considered getting myself one of the signature Ibanez K7s for a while). Heavy as fúck and they've probably been responsible for more 7 string sales than anyone else in recent years. Fieldy's bass style was different, I'd agree with whoever above though that it got a bit grating after a while. Drumming - I'd ben happy with, suited the music well I thought. Vocals, whiney in places, but again really suited the music and quite different in places (Twist anyone? :D). As a package, they had a lot going for them.

I think as a band they started to "live the dream" a bit and sat on their laurels creativly a bit, but I haven't heard the latest album and may seek it at some stage. I really do hope they've got back into gear again.

As to the above video, I'm very, very impressed, which has caused me some problems all day since I heard it first - I'm doubting myself :D I wonder who was responsible for the arrangement of the piece? The Evanescence chick has (and has always had) a beautiful voice and it's sounding all the better against Jonathon's.

Question: what's with all the masked band members in the video? Are Slipknot getting work as session musicians for MTV now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Kharn wrote:
    (seriously considered getting myself one of the signature Ibanez K7s for a while).

If you ever get a chance to pick one up second hand, ****ing jump on it as fast as possible, because they're not making them any more. I picked up a used one last year, and ****ing hell is it one of the best guitars I've ever played in my life. I'm not a fan of Korn at all by a long shot, and my style is more along the lines of Chuck Schuldiner and Marty Friedman, but serious points to those lads in Korn for creating an incredible signiature model.

• Advertisement

Kharn wrote:
    Question: what's with all the masked band members in the video? Are Slipknot getting work as session musicians for MTV now?

:D:D:D:D:D:D
    No,they are backing muscians that the band use one tour to add more to their live show and to create some of the news songs live.From videos i've seen it work really well, the mask are animals that are on their last album cover. Add a nice touch i think.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

They did something quite similar for AOL a while back:

They did Freak on a Leash too but I can't find it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The acoustic sound suits Korn a lot more than I was expecting. I've lost all interest in them a long time ago, even the first three albums don't hold much interest for me but this was great. Even the singer from Evanescence didn't ruin it. I'm a little worried to be honest!

John wrote:
    Even the singer from Evanescence didn't ruin it. I'm a little worried to be honest!

I wouldnt be. Embrace the mainstream and see where it takes you, you might be suprised, it may be the way of the next 10 years (imagine, Korn on Saturday morning kids TV shows blowing up balloons and answering questions about their mums lol)...and, an audience with Evanscene! oh god!

Other Korn acoustic

Here is more(well 4) songs that Korn did acoustic for AOL, not as much effort was put into these so the unplugged session will have the songs changed around a lot more

The songs are Coming Undone, Somebody Someone, Twisted Transistor and Thoughtless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Den_M wrote:
    Why would the Cure want to get involved with these clowns?QUOTE]

More like why would Korn want to get involved with The Cure.

Seriously , I hate to way so many poeple that Like metal Are like" Im so hardcore, I only like bands that no one has ever heard off. Any bands that get a decent bit of mainstream attention are crap". I garentee you that if Slayer went mainstream ,thoseof the afformentinoed group that like them now would dissown them in 2 seconds.

Yeah , i like Korn , their first 3 albums are absolutly brilliant, the fourth is still quite good, and the rest are ok.
    The video at the start of this thread is some of their best work in years though which bears hope for the future, I am really looking forward to this new album, But just hope they dont colaberate on every second song.

I just wish poeple would stop trying to be so "Hardcore" and more "Metal" then the next person, and be open minded towards everything you hear, without any preconceived oppinions.

Now I dont particularly like Evanescence, But to say that Amy lee is a crap singer, My god, My jaw hit the ground when I heard that , she has to be one of the most talented singers , in the pop/rock scene.

Sorry for that little rant, I just had to get it out of my sistem, I people slagging bands/people , just because its the cool thing to do. Also I do accept the fact that people honestly disslike Korn and Amy lee,of their own volition.

regards
    chris

by the way, OP do you know of any more videos from the same session as that one, OR any other acoustic korn videos aside from the AOL ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Seriously , I hate to way so many poeple that Like metal Are like" Im so hardcore, I only like bands that no one has ever heard off. Any bands that get a decent bit of mainstream attention are crap". I garentee you that if Slayer went mainstream ,thoseof the afformentinoed group that like them now would dissown them in 2 seconds.

Yeah , i like Korn , their first 3 albums are absolutly brilliant, the fourth is still quite good, and the rest are ok.
    The video at the start of this thread is some of their best work in years though which bears hope for the future, I am really looking forward to this new album, But just hope they dont colaberate on every second song.

I just wish poeple would stop trying to be so "Hardcore" and more "Metal" then the next person, and be open minded towards everything you hear, without any preconceived oppinions.

Now I dont particularly like Evanescence, But to say that Amy lee is a crap singer, My god, My jaw hit the ground when I heard that , she has to be one of the most talented singers , in the pop/rock scene.

Sorry for that little rant, I just had to get it out of my sistem, I people slagging bands/people , just because its the cool thing to do. Also I do accept the fact that people honestly disslike Korn and Amy lee,of their own volition.

regards
    chris

That's quite a rant... Except for the fact that The Cure aren't some underground Metal band, and they're probably even more popular than Korn, so I've no idea what exactly is the relevance of your rant. What with The Cure being one of the most popular Alternative bands of all time. Surely you've heard the song Lovecats?

Anyway, I think it's time for a counter-rant.

First of all, why on earth do you assume it's simply about the popularity of a band? And why do you assume that people are trying to be more "Hardcore" by listening to less known bands? I'd say it's you who's being the closed minded one here, is it so hard to imagine that there might be more interesting music out there than what's well known, just that it's simply not as well heard of?

It's a criticism that a lot of Metal fans get, and the idea of people hating a band because of them becoming more popular is unfounded garbage. More often than not, people come to dislike bands not because of popularity, but because the band's output has deteriorated. Take Metallica for example. Their output over the last while has been pure unadulteratd s**t, and if an underground band had put out the album St. Anger, it would still be complete ****.

I'll give you another contrary example now; Opeth. They've been steadily climbing in success and popularity for the last couple of years, and they're still a fantastic band. I remember seeing them back in 2001 when they played in The Shelter, to a small crowd. Compare that to their incredibly packed shows in Vicar Street last year, aswell as their steady rising coverage in magazines and such, yet they've still put out amazing and varied music all over their career.

So shup about people "Disowning" bands when they become popular, or trying to appear more "Metal" than others, because it's bollocks.

End of rant. :)
    by the way, OP do you know of any more videos from the same session as that one, OR any other acoustic korn videos aside from the AOL ones.

Nope, I'm afraid not. I don't even know if there's more from that sessios at all, but if there is, I'd love to hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I wouldnt be. Embrace the mainstream and see where it takes you, you might be suprised, it may be the way of the next 10 years (imagine, Korn on Saturday morning kids TV shows blowing up balloons and answering questions about their mums lol)...and, an audience with Evanscene! oh god!

I've nothing against embracing mainstream music once it's good. Evanescence are terrible in my opinion. No originality and they're the musical equivalent of the colour beige.
    Den_M wrote:

Why wouldn't you want to get involved with The Cure? They're one of the best bands ever. Constantly releasing some of the finest rock/pop of the last two decades. Just because Korn are known for being a metal band it doesn't mean they can't branch out into new musical territories.

Slayer ARE mainstream. Even my granny knows them! Seriously though, Mastodon and Opeth are two undergroundish bands that have become pretty big and I still think they're great. Similarly Tool are a giant but infinitely enjoyable group. It's nothing to do with bands becoming mainstream that I have a problem with, it is bands who compromise their sound in order to gain mainstream success that tend to put me off.

I don't anyone here is like that. I've found in general that most of the people who post on this forum regularly post on a wide range of rock and metal and also post on the other music fora like jazz/blues, alt/indie, experimental, etc.

I don't like her singing in general, I find her singing empty and unemotional. She may be technically a good singer but so is Mariah Carey and Celine Dion who I dislike for similar reasons. Hence my surprise that I really enjoyed her performance on this Korn song. Although having an open ear meant that I listened to the song and didn't judge it before I listened.

The full "Unplugged" performance will appear online on February 24 and premiere on MTV on March 2. A special February 23 premiere will take place at KORN's official web site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

That's quite a rant... Except for the fact that The Cure aren't some underground Metal band, and they're probably even more popular than Korn, so I've no idea what exactly is the relevance of your rant. What with The Cure being one of the most popular Alternative bands of all time. Surely you've heard the song Lovecats?

Anyway, I think it's time for a counter-rant.

First of all, why on earth do you assume it's simply about the popularity of a band? And why do you assume that people are trying to be more "Hardcore" by listening to less known bands? I'd say it's you who's being the closed minded one here, is it so hard to imagine that there might be more interesting music out there than what's well known, just that it's simply not as well heard of?

It's a criticism that a lot of Metal fans get, and the idea of people hating a band because of them becoming more popular is unfounded garbage. More often than not, people come to dislike bands not because of popularity, but because the band's output has deteriorated. Take Metallica for example. Their output over the last while has been pure unadulteratd s**t, and if an underground band had put out the album St. Anger, it would still be complete ****.

I'll give you another contrary example now; Opeth. They've been steadily climbing in success and popularity for the last couple of years, and they're still a fantastic band. I remember seeing them back in 2001 when they played in The Shelter, to a small crowd. Compare that to their incredibly packed shows in Vicar Street last year, aswell as their steady rising coverage in magazines and such, yet they've still put out amazing and varied music all over their career.

So shup about people "Disowning" bands when they become popular, or trying to appear more "Metal" than others, because it's bollocks.

End of rant. :)

Nope, I'm afraid not. I don't even know if there's more from that sessios at all, but if there is, I'd love to hear it.

**** sake , i had nearly finished replying to this adn then I clicked the X in the corner and closed the browser, So this response is going to be alot short , I cant be bothered writing the long reply again. lol :)

That comment about the cure was just my own oppinion, I dont like them.
    Yes I am aware of how popular they are, especially me being a bass player, people always want to hear love cats.

Belive me, Im not close minded, I have very particular tastes, and its not often that those tastes are mainstream, I would not consider myself close minded.I do think that for many a rise in popularity is off putting , those people want to be different and so when a band begins to get wider acceptance they search for something even more extreame,different,"metal" or "hardcore".
    I think it may be an elitest thing or something.I dont know.

I agree with you there is far more interesting music that is not in the public conscioseness then interesting music that is.

I still stand by my original post. I still beleive that as bands become more well know some poeple do dissown then, and move on to something else, In an attempt to be more "metal" or "Hardcore"

John Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motley Crue

I've nothing against embracing mainstream music once it's good. Evanescence are terrible in my opinion. No originality and they're the musical equivalent of the colour beige.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by christophicus
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Den_M

Why wouldn't you want to get involved with The Cure? They're one of the best bands ever. Constantly releasing some of the finest rock/pop of the last two decades. Just because Korn are known for being a metal band it doesn't mean they can't branch out into new musical territories.

Quote:

Slayer ARE mainstream. Even my granny knows them! Seriously though, Mastodon and Opeth are two undergroundish bands that have become pretty big and I still think they're great. Similarly Tool are a giant but infinitely enjoyable group. It's nothing to do with bands becoming mainstream that I have a problem with, it is bands who compromise their sound in order to gain mainstream success that tend to put me off.

Quote:

I don't anyone here is like that. I've found in general that most of the people who post on this forum regularly post on a wide range of rock and metal and also post on the other music fora like jazz/blues, alt/indie, experimental, etc.

Quote:

I don't like her singing in general, I find her singing empty and unemotional. She may be technically a good singer but so is Mariah Carey and Celine Dion who I dislike for similar reasons. Hence my surprise that I really enjoyed her performance on this Korn song. Although having an open ear meant that I listened to the song and didn't judge it before I listened.

I would have to refute your claims that slayer are mainstream, at least here in Ireland anyway. With in the metal community , yes they are manstream. Its all relative really.

I would have to conceed to you on you mastadon, tool ,opeth point though.

yes maybe most of the people that post regularly here have a well rounded musical taste . that does not mean mean that there isnt a significant amount of poeple that dont.

Again on your last point I waould actually have to agree with you there, I never actually noticed her lack of emotion before,at least sometimes. It is all down to musical taste I guess.

By the way, cheers beekay, I will be watching tah online then I think.

Advertisement