Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What ball should you use?

Options
  • 29-01-2007 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, quick note on bowling balls. This is my opinion only based on my experience and I welcome debate :)

Starting out

Go for a polished polyester, it's cheap and reliable. You won't get much (any!) hook form it but at this stage you should be concentrating on prodcing reliable results each time you bowl.

A polished polyester ball soaks up less oil and doesn't grip the back end of the lane very well so a straight shot (which is what beginners should aim for) will result in knocking most of the pins. A polished ball should also be used to knock any remaining pins on the second shot of the frame. It's easier to control and lane conditions don't effect it too much.

Intermediate

I recommend going for a polished polyurethane or similar. Get it drilled with fingerplugs inserted as this will help you to create a good hooking action. Technique is still important so at first you should continue bowling straight until you are used to the ball. Then learn how to hook the ball...you will find your score dropping rapidly :D You'll have to reposition yourself left a bit (or right for left-hanfers) on the lane approach. This ball should again soak up less oil but still hook thus giving greater pin reaction.

Advanced

Have two bowling balls - a Strike ball and a Spare ball. I used my intermediate ball as a Spare ball and the new one as a Strike ball. The Strike ball should be sanded polyurethane or similar as this helps the ball to soak up more oil from the lane and create a savage hooking potential.

Most importantly - don't move up too early! Technique is vital. Having the best bowling ball but being poor techinically will mean that you will still get your ass kicked by a good bowler using a simple polyester ball!

See this article for more.

Advertisement