Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Web Hijacker?

• 29-01-2007 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking at my mates computer,it seems he's got a browser hijacker.
    Whenever he goes to Google and puts in a search term most of the time (if not all) he's redirected to the below pages when he clicks on Google search results.

I've run an up to date adaware search and found nothing. I've also run an up to date av program but again nothing.

anyone know how to remove the little b*stard?

Thanks in advance?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Tried Spybot Search & Destory or Windows Defender?
    Its generally a good idea to run a combination of programs because no one program gets 100% of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Chunks

Cabaal wrote:
    Tried Spybot Search & Destory or Windows Defender?
    Its generally a good idea to run a combination of programs because no one program gets 100% of stuff

Yeah he's tried windows defender and spybot also...

does this problem fall under the category of Virus or Spyware?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Try "HiJack This!" Save the log and post it here. It will probably find the culprit pretty easily.

EDIT: Seems a few people have this problem. Have a look at this. Not suggesting you try the proposed fix provided in this link. Post the JKT log here first. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

A common tactic seen these days is for the computer hijacker to redirect your DNS to that of the crook's choice.

I assume that your friend's using broadband, with a LAN connection to the PC.
    Click Start/ Control Panel/ Network Connections / Local Area Connection
    Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click properties.

Is the DNS setting set to obtain dns server address automatically? If you're using a broadband router it typically should.

Otherwise:
    Safe values include eircom
    Primary DNS:
    Secondary DNS:

or esat
    Preferred DNS : 192.111.39.1
    Alternate DNS : 192.111.39.4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 node

Check C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts to see any dodgey inserts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Chunks

Excellent replies. There's plenty there for me to chew on alright.

I'll have a look at them all this evening when I get home and let you know how I got on / post the log.

Many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dafresh

I've found the no script firefox extension great for keeping out this sort of crap.

Prevention is better than cure.

Advertisement